• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tortugas

handmc

I just had a wonderful meal at Tortugas in collegeville, Montco PA.

Dinner for 8, Byob, we had a Groth 96, a Stags Leap Armetis 2000, a Pinot from Oregon, and a bottle from the Chads ford winery.

We had dinner from all over the menu and I am ashamed I did not have a chance to take notes or photos.

However this is some really good flavors. I was in Mexico 2 years ago and I have been eating and cooking some good stuff and this is the best I have had in the Chesco/Montco area.

Service was great. There when you wanted them, otherwise they left you alone.

Dinner for 8 was $126.00 with gratuity, which we thought was a little lite given the service so we rounded up to $132.00.

I WILL DEFINATELY GO BACK!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Funny you should mention that my suggestion to go to Mariachis in Phoenixville was shot down. I am thrilled there is even more to look forward to.

Philly has some good mexican food but I don't get in town much and usually rely on my cookbooks from Kennedy or recently EG recipes to get the good stuff.

Now if I could only find decent mexican grocer without having to drive to the Kennet Sq area.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I went to Tortugas a couple of time shortly after it opened, and while I didn't hate it, I just didn't feel inspired to go back. That said, I'm glad to know you enjoyed the meal there, if you do return, please share more details. And at the same time, I'll agree with Flav that there are some good options not too far away that might be even better. If you get a chance, I'd be curious to hear your reactions after making a comparison.

It does depend on your crowd, and what you're looking for. Los Mariachis and the other little taquerias Flav mentioned have more authentic food, but not much in the way of atmosphere, not to mention that some folks find those more authentic plates a bit harder to take. So they're not always the best spots to take the less adventurous.

And keep your eyes open, there are little Mexican groceries popping-up all over, there are a couple of little tiny ones in Phoenixville, but depending on what you're looking for, they might do the trick. There's one in Frazier, one in West Chester....

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

And keep your eyes open, there are little Mexican groceries popping-up all over, there are a couple of little tiny ones in Phoenixville, but depending on what you're looking for, they might do the trick. There's one in Frazier, one in West Chester....

there's a mexican grocery in frazer? where's it at?

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

there's a mexican grocery in frazer?  where's it at?

I haven't been in, but just saw a sign not long ago as I was driving through there... it's back in one of the gazillion little strip malls along 30, on the south side of Rt 30. I'll try to get more precise info and share it. Maybe time for a new thread!

philadining.com

there's a mexican grocery in frazer?  where's it at?

It's in the "Frazer Plaza" right at the corner of 352 and 30. WAAAAAAY in back. It's a dismal little plaza, and I still haven't made it there during business hours, so I can't vouch for whether it's worth a trip, but it's worth one of us checking out. Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com