• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to find ... the elusive hunt for schmaltz

I'm tired of rendering my own chicken fat and my reserves will probably run out later this year (when I render, I do about a 5 year batch).

So, to make my life much easier, does anyone know where I can BUY schmaltz? Surely there are others out there that make their own chopped liver, matzoh ball soup and enjoy an occasional piece of toast with schmaltz instead of butter!

Please speak up! I'll even consider mail-order!

Thanks in advance!!!

Brett

No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

Just curious, how do you store a 5 year batch? Canning or freezing? Is it as good at five years as say a month or two?

Sorry I can't help with where to find ready made schmaltz.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

The stuff lasts forever in the freezer! It's like bacon fat never going bad in that old soup can on the stove :smile:

I have seen it occasionally available at:

QFC @ University Village

Albertsons @ Mercer Island only Seattle area store where they have a "Kosher Foods Section" with Butcher and Deli items.

It's not nearly as good as home made "Schmaltz" and much more expensive then buying a few whole sale of the week chickens just to enjoy the bonus of the "Grivens" + chicken salads, Chinese Chicken Sesame Noodles (see todays thread on eGullet), Curry and even Chicken Soup or Stock.

You don't need to make enough for 5 years to enjoy just making enough for a month or two at a time just think of the Fresh Chopped Liver with Schmaltz and Grivens.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

:smile: Tsquare, If you're willing to part with it then you're missing out!

Irwin - I render mine by boiling, so I don't get the grivens :sad: One of these days I'll have the patience to stand over the skillet to make sure it doesn't flame and set my house afire ... but until then it's boil, boil, boil ... strain, strain, separate, freeze :smile: And thanks for the Albertsons recommendation - I'll give them a shout and see what they say!

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks for the U. Village QFC tip! Yes, they had it (yes, in the freezer section) ... and they also had chopped liver (also in the freezer section)! I'll report back when it's thawed and I have a chance to sample it :cool:

Ok, the chopped liver was beef, and I'm used to chicken. Very different flavor, and the frozen stuff didn't appear to contain any cream - which made it very coarse and mealy. I think I'll stick to making my own, especially now that I've restocked my supply of schmaltz! :smile: