• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Al Fresca...

Having lived down here all my life I'd have to add that the Clam Hut, Bahrs and nearly the whole Bay Ave Highlands strip of places are mainly touron traps of the highest order. Steamers, scrod and the Fishermans Platter (Broiled or Fried). Sad to say but to find the best seafood at the shore you pretty much have to get away from the water. Places like the Navesink Fishery or Ray's Seafood spring to mind

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I wouldn't describe the people at Seaside in quite those terms. Some of those folks wear less than the legal minimum of coverage, which is also shrinking each year...

Yes, but to put it in context I'll quote a friend:

"Just because they make it in your size does not mean it's a good idea to wear it in public"

=Mark

• 11 months later...
With the warm weather here, and the rain seemingly gone, it is just a great time to eat Alfresco .  There seem to be so few places that have this feature in New Jersey. 

Can anyone recommend any restos in Northern NJ with outdoor dining, preferably not on the street?  Facing the exhaust fumes and traffic noise is no fun, either.  Patios, gardens, and/or water are exactly what I am looking for.  Thanks!

there's an outdoor dining thread here.

Note: Threads merged.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Most of the info on this thread is over a year old; Can anyone recommend some restaurants in Northern NJ with outdoor dining NOT on the street, e.g., a patio, garden or water view without exhaust fumes? Thanks.

Rebecca's Restaurant

236 River Rd, Edgewater, NJ 07020

Phone: (201) 943-8808

- Very good Floribean cuisine. Lovely little courtyard in back between the cliffs and the dining room.

New Bridge Inn

105 Old New Bridge Rd, New Milford, NJ 07646

Phone: (201) 836-6394

- I haven't eaten there, but I stopped in once to look at the menu, continental/Italian cuisine. Has anyone eaten there?

Exterior is on a quiet street adjacent to a fish pond. Last year I was told there were plans for a roof deck, but I don't know if that was ever completed.

Le Jardin Restaurant

1257 River Rd, Edgewater, NJ 07020

Phone: (201) 224-9898

- Haven't eaten here either, menu is continental. Glass enclosed and open patio area facing Hudson River/NYC view.

Have to delete Navesink Cafe in Red Bank from this list. The original owners lost the lease and the place is now run by the folks who run Rivers Edge up on Broad ST. I had hopes for this place as Rivers Edge consistantly put out imaginative and tasty food. Instead it is pretty much an over priced snack bar. A friend and I recently had a cheeseburger, chowder and drinks and split an order of onion rings... $42 before tip. The view is excellent, but at that price I'll do take out from elsewhere and set up my folding chairs in Marine Park.

=Mark

I thought at first we were supposed to be answering Menton1's request for outdoor seating in northern NJ. However, since it appears that suggestions are being made for places throughout the state, I will add these:

Rooney's Ocean Crab House, Long Branch - Right on the beach with a great ocean view. Big room with doors that open on all sides, as well as an unshaded patio.

El Meson, Freehold - Large, shaded side patio.

Seven Hills of Istanbul, Highland Park - Small side patio.

Christopher's Cafe, Colts Neck - Terrace within a courtyard.

Le Rendez-Vous, Kenilworth - They have outdoor dining, but I don't know what the set-up is.

Toscana Trattoria, Chester - Front patio. The restaurant is set way back from the street in a shopping complex. More attractive than it sounds.

just about every place in Ridgewood has some sort of outdoor seating. yes, most is on the sidewalk. but it's hardly a town filled with fumes and noise. sakura bana sushi is one. did i mention:

Smith Brothers and Mac Murphy's, both in Ridgewood. Mac's has a patio set off of the road.

That italian place across from Johnny and Hanges in Fairlawn has a big deck out front.

i believe francesco's in west paterson has a patio. it kinda overlooks some body of water, not sure what. maybe the passaic river? :huh:

oh, and, the hood of my car in the white manna parking lot. :smile:

• 1 year later...

We just had an eG dinner there last week...take a look at the thread, which is still up and fairly active. Edit: Here's the link...maybe Rosie can make it pretty? :smile:http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=45297

Beautiful patio and good food--all you need is for the weather to cooperate! Enjoy!!

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Some adds and updates for this year:

Navesink Cafe in Irwins Marina off of Marine Park in Red Bank that was run by Rivers Edge Cafe last summer and sold overpriced snack bar food has been replaced. The venue is now run by Osaka Japanese restaurant that has other locations in Ft. Lee and Toms River. I've been there 5 or 6 times this summer hand am quite impressed. Great sushi, sashimi, tempura and other Japanese staples with a great view of the Navesink river.

Parkhill's in Loch Arbor. Good food and a great view of Asbury Park across the lake (Always seems to be a nice breeze). Don't feed the freeloading duckletts...

=Mark

Terazza's in Nutley has a few tables out in front.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Panavino's in Livingston on RT 10 has a great patio. it's surrounded by high bushes and an herb garden., there's even a bocci court out thru the gate. You'd never believe you're along RT 10.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

• 1 year later...

it's time for Al Fresca again! maybe even al fresco! woo-hoo!

what's new this year? Oceanos in Fair Lawn has a nice patio from what i can tell.

Brady's in Ramsey has a nice set-up on the second floor balcony. with any luck you can just drink there, because you probably don't want to actually eat there.

Varka in Ramsey has a nice patio. now *there's* a place you want to eat. grilled octopus app and a glass of greek white from one of their funny-sounding grapes. top friggin notch.

and you can totally mac on some lobster roll at Elysian Cafe's patio area in Hoboken. woo-hoo!

Edited by tommy (log)

Ah, one of my favorite topics! We were just discussing this at lunch today...here are a few of my favorite spots for al frescO dining (can't an admin change that?!?), whether high or low(er)-brow:

The Jefferson's back patio or sidewalk tables (Hoboken)

Elysian Cafe (Hoboken)

Margherita's (Hoboken)

Trattoria Fresco's back patio (Caldwell)

Raymond's (Montclair)

Beyond Pita (Montclair)

27 Mix (Newark)

Calcada at NJPAC (Newark)

Cafe Metro's front porch (Denville)

Denville Dairy's benches (Denville)

Tinga Taqueria (Millburn)

Shake Shack (NYC)

And of course, I'm looking forward to an Amazing Hot Dog in their parking lot... :wub:

I'm sure I'll think of more just as soon as I hit Add Reply. Don't forget to bring your shades! :cool:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."