• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starbuck's breakfast sandwiches are so hot ...

Gifted Gourmet

article from MSNBC

By the time its current fiscal year ends in October, Starbucks says it will offer breakfast sandwiches at roughly 600 stores — up from about 250 today. Industry analysts say it’s a sensible move that doesn’t involve much risk. "If Starbucks can get food right, it gives them a whole new leg of growth" ... The biggest gamble, analysts say, is whether hot food can be served without slowing down service. Vendors prepare the breakfast sandwiches daily and deliver them first thing in the morning. The sandwiches are heated up in countertop ovens about twice the size of the average microwave, a process that takes about three minutes
Has anyone tried the sandwiches at Starbuck's? :rolleyes:

If so, what was your impression?

Did it take any longer than just getting a latte?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Has anyone tried the sandwiches at Starbuck's?  :rolleyes:

If so, what was your impression?

Did it take any longer than just getting a latte?

I have, but it was at a Starbuck's in Tokyo. I thought it sucked, and would have much preferred a bacon 'n egger from A&W.

I use the kid from brooklyn as the benchmark for Starbucks.

He say's it best, just keep the little one's away while listening.

the kid from brooklyn

click vidoes on top

at the bottom of the page click *all videos*

next page

on the right hand side of the page

click on *starbucks*

woodburner

I saw that video the other day. Now, I'm not in love with Starbucks, but this guy is just a crank who thinks he's got himself an easy target. First of all, a cup of coffee and a pound cake doesnt cost 7 bucks. Secondly, people always claim that Starbucks somehow "get's away with" charging four bucks for a coffee. Not true. Starbucks charges that much for a large latte or cappucino, not for a regular cup of coffee. For a regular old cup of coffee, their prices arent really that far out of line with anywhere else. For their espresso drinks, I don't think they are any more expensive than a restaurant, probably less...

Sorry to get off the subject, but guys like that annoy me. They complain for the sake of complaining, because they know some people out there will sympathize with them.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I saw that video the other day. Now, I'm not in love with Starbucks, but this guy is just a crank who thinks he's got himself an easy target. First of all, a cup of coffee and a pound cake doesnt cost 7 bucks. Secondly, people always claim that Starbucks somehow "get's away with" charging four bucks for a coffee. Not true. Starbucks charges that much for a large latte or cappucino, not for a regular cup of coffee. For a regular old cup of coffee, their prices arent really that far out of line with anywhere else. For their espresso drinks, I don't think they are any more expensive than a restaurant, probably less...

Yeah, where I am a large cappucino there coasts about 50 cents more than at the drive-though across the street. The drive-through does make a better coffee, but of course Starbucks has indoor seating, which I'm sure is worth the extra money to some.

Offering such trimmings as peppered bacon and Black Forest ham, Starbucks added the English muffin sandwiches to stores in Washington, D.C., last year, and in Portland, Ore., last month. That will expand to San Francisco in early April, and Chicago later this year.

By the time its current fiscal year ends in October, Starbucks says it will offer breakfast sandwiches at roughly 600 stores — up from about 250 today.

See Not Just for Lattes Anymore for the rest of the story.

Dunno if they can pull this off, but a breakfast sandwich with "eggs Florentine, baby spinach and havarti," and "herbed sausage and egg with aged sharp cheddar" sound pretty darn tasty to me.

The real trick, it seems, is to be able to offer breakfast without increasing the wait times. The sandwiches are delivered each morning and reheated in a small oven, which takes about three minutes. If the breakfast sandwiches are good, they may just succeed in driving the Egg McMuffin crowd upscale. It does occur to me, however, that now that Starbucks is selling sandwiches they might start eying the Starwich name a little more closely.

Whatcha think?

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

The Starbucks here in California have been offering a wide variety of sandwiches and fruit-and-cheese platters for some time. I have become rather addicted to an egg salad on multi-grain bread as a breakfast staple for the past two or three months; buying more than one a week. I'd probably try a breakfast sandwich, just because I'm lazy at 5:30 in the morning...

I live in DC so we've had these for a while. My boyfriend used to get one every morning. When we started watching our weight he tried the low-fat one once, was disgusted by it, and hasn't eaten one since.

But if you're not concerned about fat and calories, the sausage, egg, and cheddar is tasty.

They really don't slow down the line at all because of the prepackaging/countertop oven reheat model. But that would change with volume. If everybody was ordering a sandwich that needed heating, there would be a wait for the oven, thereby creating more wait for the sandwich.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

I'm not a coffee fan, so I usually just walk on by Starbucks. However, these might just bring me inside. Or at least inspire a home made copy or two.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I like the low-fat one, it's very tasty to me and I think it's a better alternative to the Egg McMuffin. You definitely have to eat it right away, because like most breakfast sandwiches, they get blah when they get cold. I like that Starbucks (Fourbucks) is offering breakfast sandwiches now because at least you have an option to purchase a hot sandwich should you need or want to have one.

Euwwww. Euwwww, euwwww, euwwww!!!! My local starbucks has been offering these sandwiches for many months, and I don't care what you tell me but anyone claiming that a reheated egg is tasty is nuts - no matter what's drizzled on top. At least egg mcmuffins are fresh. I haven't tried a scrambled star and I will never be able to bring myself to that - reminds me of those egg and sausage biscuits that came out of vending machines in college 20 years ago. May look better - may have better branding behind it - may be fancier - but who wants reheated eggs? Euwww.... euwwwww.....euwwwww!!!!

Please pause while I go gag on this thought. Next subject please!!!!!

I'm fond of good coffee, so I ususually walk on by Starbucks... All that frappa-, mocha- smackka-chino with half fat, half no-fat, non-diary creamer & a freakin' lemon twist gets on my nerves sometimes. With good coffee, you don't need any of that stuff in it.

Yeah I'm a grumpy bawster sometimes :smile: