• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

River Antoine (Grenada)

Chris Owens

Anyone with experience with River Antoine from Grenada? Having read descriptions of it, I ought in theory to love it -- I'm willing to put up with pretty rough tasting fluids in order to experience something distinctive and authentic. So I bought a bottle. But I just can't choke it down -- strong sulfur / molasses taste, quite a bit of acidity, and some smoke.

Is there more than one rum produced, labeled "River Antoine?" Did I get an off bottle, or a Rivers bottle that the rumshop had refilled with something else? Or am I simply "all talk" when it comes to trying funkier, more distinctive rums?

Your description sounds like you got a bottle of the real stuff. What you have is a rare example of what sailors were drinking about 1778 when the distillery was built. If you got to Grenada and didn't get to the distillery you need to go back. It is one of the most interesing places you'll ever go.

Let it sit a few months and it will soften, slightly.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

So "Killdevil" is really an apt description for what they were drinking back then, I guess.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 5 months later...
Your description sounds like you got a bottle of the real stuff. What you have is a rare example of what sailors were drinking about 1778 when the distillery was built. If you got to Grenada and didn't get to the distillery you need to go back. It is one of the most interesing places you'll ever go.

Let it sit a few months and it will soften, slightly.

I've posted some pictures of the River Antoine Distillery in the ImageGullet. Hope the link works right, I'm new to this forum and don't have the hang of the features yet.

So here is a sick question from the guy who is looking for "close to the old Fur Trade rum".....

Is there a way to obtain a bottle of this stuff here in the states? Just looking for a bit for a presentation to re-enactors this coming November?

Thanks,

KAK

KAK,

I seriously doubt that this stuff in anywhere obtainable outside of Grenada. While it would definately be "authentic" for the period, it is also seriously vile!

Edited by Tuck (log)

You can't get Rivers in the US but it is a far cry from what would have been drunk in the Great Lakes. Anything which had traveled that far from a distillery would have aged and become much more palatable.

In defense of Rivers, after a few months, even in the bottle, it does improve, if even slightly. The lightest alcohols which give it such a bite are released.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Amazing pics- Are there many distilleries left like this(using the old water wheel etc)?

I've heard that there are only two distilleries in the Caribbean that still use water power.

• 3 weeks later...