• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chowdah/Chowder--Cook-Off 20

Chris Amirault

Just so's weah cleah: clam cakes in RI means clam fritters, deep-fried walnuts of clammy goodness. It's the classic side for chowdah heah.

Well I'm glad you 'splained that about Clam Chowderrrrr. :laugh:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

There are very few species of commerically harvested clams in Australia. The most common is the rather small (often tough, bitter and sandy) "pipi".

It's very easy to get any clam to be sandy since they're filter feeders. We used to put all of our clams in a 5-gallon pail filled with sea water and then sprinkle either crumbled crackers or oatmeal on top. If left for a few hours, the sand is replaced by the oatmeal.

Hmmmm. Does that make them grain-finished?

So, even though this is a cook-off and not an eat-off, since I had this wicked cool ideah to show you about clam cakes and chowdah, tonight me and my girls piled into the cah and went down to Iggy's at Oakland Beach in Warwick RI.

gallery_19804_437_40796.jpg

Iggy's is open all yeah round cause we like eatin' in the rough around heah no mattah what the weathah. We stahted with -- what else? -- a stuffie:

gallery_19804_437_33518.jpg

For you knuckleheads out theah who don't know a stuffie from a weinah, that's a stuffed quahog shell, with the meat from the quahog chopped up real good with buttah and some pahsley and gahlic and peppah and maybe some dill if yoah kinda snooty. This one was real pissah.

So, Iggy's has red and white chowdah, but since I was raised in the greatah Boston areah, I'm nevah gonna ordah that lousy red Manhattan clam chowdah crapola. (Yankees suck!) So:

gallery_19804_437_123559.jpg

This is that thick "New England" style chowdah, not the thinner Rhode Island chowdah, which doesn't have cream or milk in it. It was awesome. Seriously.

Of course, this is Rhode Island heah, so we had clam cakes to go with the chowdah:

gallery_19804_437_23761.jpg

gallery_19804_437_86855.jpg

The clam cakes wah wicked good, too. You can see the chunks of clam cause they get kinda brown on the outah paht and kinda chewy on the inside paht.

And I couldn't get back in the cah without some fried clams, right? Yeah! Course I'm right! You know they were belly-on, cause only loosahs get clam strips, which completely suck, and they wah wicked sweet:

gallery_19804_437_23526.jpg

I usually have them with lotsa tahtah sauce, but these were so awesome I just put some salt and lemon on 'em and ate 'em all. That wasn't hahd! :wink:

And whatdya think I washed it all down with? Yeah! A Yaht Club birch beah!

gallery_19804_437_194873.jpg

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Wicked awesome. Oh, fried clams...oh, clam cakes. I need to make a visit to New England...I feel the homesickness washing over me. Thanks, Chris!

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Chris that was quite an education! thank you!!

Chowder night Seattle style! My in laws came over and everyone participated in the chopping. We did the recipe out of 'The Best Recipes'

First we had kirs with proscuitto on bread sticks, blue from Spain and Salumi oregano salami

110343028_6b9e6d8ca7.jpg

Next up were crab cakes on greens with lemon vinaigrette. My first time making crab cakes from scratch- very tastey!

110343032_6c000c07a4.jpg

and the main event....Chowder!

110343036_b08235b7de.jpg

the recipe called for 7 lbs of cherrystones, I used 4lbs and it was plenty. We also used a bit more bacon cause we love it! :wub:

All was good. served with a rosemary herb bread also.

Iggy's is open all yeah round cause we like eatin' in the rough around heah no mattah what the weathah. We stahted with -- what else? -- a stuffie:

chrisamirault,

Funny, even the sign says Chowderrr. Most states offer free speech therapy you know. :raz:

So, even though this is a cook-off and not an eat-off, since I had this wicked cool ideah to show you about clam cakes and chowdah, tonight me and my girls piled into the cah and went down to Iggy's at Oakland Beach in Warwick RI.

(remainder of post snipped to conserve bandwidth)

Geez, Chris, just tear my heart out and throw it on the floor, why don'tcha? :laugh: Oh god, am I now jonesing for fried clams and clam fritters--which, even if they weren't strictly off my menu right now, and it weren't already ten p.m. here, would still be damn difficult to find in this town. *sob*

chrisamirault,

Funny, even the sign says Chowderrr. Most states offer free speech therapy you know. :raz:

:laugh:

A fine post and great looking food, Chris, even if you don't know how to talk right. :raz:

Wendy, absolutely awesome! I could practically see the tastiness of that food in the pictures.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Iggy's looks wicked good - deserves a spot on the Fried clam thread.... which gives me an idea: who is going to start the New England Chowder Crawl thread for summer '06? :smile:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

What's a Doughboy? Hmm, it's only three hours from me...

It's all about balancing the language. We from New England leave out some of the Rs to make up for all the extra ones people are using in other parts of the country. Indeed, so careful are we to balance the R usage in American English that we will occasionally balance the Rs in the same sentence, to wit: "I went up the packie with Liser and Petah to get some tonics."

--

What's a Doughboy? Hmm, it's only three hours from me...

Probably four, actually, Rachel. A doughboy is a slab of fried dough that's been slathered in sugar and cinnamon. It is insanely good. We would have had some except I had to be conscious to drive the girls home.

Meanwhile, I'm still on the hunt for quahogs. The second Whole Foods store in town was a bust as well -- but at least the fishmonger knew what they were. :hmmm:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Here's my effort -- Salmon Chowder:

111255738_63452a08d9.jpg

Based on a Clam Chowder recipe from FoodTV Canada's Mike Smith. That recipe starts out with cooking the bacon -- so I set some of that aside for garnishing. That's a really good idea, I think. Crispy bacon does wonders.

Bacon -- it does a body good. Heh.

I went a tad overboard with the parlsey garnish -- I tried placing two big sprigs decoratively in the soup, but they kept turning over and sinking. I didn't like how the thyme looked; black specs floating around like that -- next time I think I'll BG it instead.

Gorgeous Jason & Rachel, making me very hungry! Nice thinking!

I thought we would get this party started by casting some aspersions as to what is and isn't a chowder by creating a new chowder, borrowing  from two distinctly American culinary cultures, New England and New Orleans.

I present to you Oysters Rockefeller Chowder. Rachel will post a more exact recipe shortly.

gallery_2_2621_94650.jpg

Start by sauteeing some chopped up salt pork or bacon. We used bacon.

gallery_2_2621_3462.jpg

In your mini prep or food processor, finely chop up onion, celery, scallion, and a clove or two of garlic.

gallery_2_2621_64103.jpg

Clam Juice is essential for that chowdery taste.

gallery_2_2621_40080.jpg

gallery_2_2621_63821.jpg

Get some oysters.

gallery_2_2621_70625.jpg

Wash and spin up your spinach. You could use frozen spinach instead.

gallery_2_2621_44933.jpg

1 and 1/2 cups of milk topped off with a large ladle of chicken stock.

gallery_2_2621_34480.jpg

Hit the pot with some flour to create a light roux, and then saute the chopped vegetables with the bacon and flour.

gallery_2_2621_41210.jpg

Chop up your spinach and get approx 2 tablespoons of anise-flavored liquor ready. Traditionally Oysters Rockefeller calls for Pernod or Herbsaint but I used Ouzo instead. You could also use Sambuca.

gallery_2_2621_91609.jpg

Chuck the chopped spinach into the pot with and wilt it up.

gallery_2_2621_54311.jpg

Hit it with the stock, milk, anise liquor and some clam juice to taste.

gallery_2_2621_40009.jpg

Cook the soup until it thickens and sticks to the spoon, then take it off the heat and hit it with the oysters and stir 'dem up real good.

gallery_2_2621_75050.jpg

Finished soup. Finish with a splash of heavy cream, season with salt, pepper, chervil (and/or some tarragon), and some grated fresh nutmeg to taste. Hit with some grated parmiggiano reggiano.

gallery_2_2621_85619.jpg

Chowda in the Bowl.

gallery_2_2621_51656.jpg

Extreme Chowda Closeup.

I used Sara Moulton's Smoky salmon chowder recipe -- with a few variations. Click here for a description and some step-by-step photos, but here's the result:

gallery_7258_2197_39512.jpg

That looks great, Janet!

I made chowder tonight...corn chowder, based on this recipe from Epicurious. I used only regular potatoes, since I'm not a big sweet potato person. It was really good, but if I make it again, I'll probably deglaze the pan with some wine or sherry before adding the stock. The best part about the chowder was how pretty it was...with the celery, the red pepper, the carrot...very colorful. And tasty.

gallery_26775_1623_6775.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Chirs, thank you so much for taking us for a virtual dinner at Iggy's.. those clamcakes have an uncanny resemblance to these things!

Anyway, I also made chowder tonight. I was very intimidated by the giant clam held up so elegantly by Susan in Fl upthread.. so I was very happy when JAZ made a chowder in her blog that looked like something I could do.. I followed basically the same recipe, but added chopped fennel and celery to the vegetable base, a lot of sherry (because JAZ added alcohol as well, I took her lead :smile: ), and because the soup... sorry... chowder ended up so rich, I added both lemon juice and lemon zest. It was rich, but delicious. Because this was the main (or actually, only) thing we had for dinner, there's quite a high ratio of salmon to liquid in the serving:

chowder.jpg

Hi -

These cook offs are always interesting, even if I don't actually cook anything, because they usually inspire at least some research into the topic. In this case, I wanted to figure out what, exactly, would be the defining aspects of "chowder".

After looking at several hundred recipes, the answer seems to be: a chowder is what someone says it is :biggrin:.

The biggest modes of commonality seem to be: inclusion of diced potatoes, thickened by flour, inclusion of cured pork (bacon or salt pork most commonly), a cream/milk base, some form of seafood, and roughly chopped ingredients. But even all of these don't seem to be required - I've found recipes for vegetarian corn chowder, clear broth chowder, lots of recipes for chicken mushroom chowder with no seafood or potatoes, some thickened with rice instead of potatoes.

The trait most common found is the rustic, hearty aspect to the soup - to borrow the advertising phrase, it's a soup that eats like a meal. So given that, I took aspects from several recipes that looked appealing and put together a salmon spinach chowder:

gallery_15557_1141_10786.jpg

Roughly chopped celery, onions, and carrots (the carrots should have been cut somewhat smaller), garlic, bacon fat, chicken stock, thickened with flour and simmered until tender, then half a pound of chopped spinach, a mess of salmon in large strips (because I expected them to break up some and planned for it), and a cup of half and half, heated through until the salmon was cooked. Garnished with the diced bacon.

It made a warm and hearty dinner.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

My kids love clam chowder, so that was on the menu tonight.

gallery_6263_35_15348.jpg

Russet potatoes, milk, canned clams (!), the clam juice and onions sweated in fabulous bacon from the meat market in New Ulm, MN. Diana fished out some of the potatoes and took the immersion blender to them.

Scallions on top, plus cracked black pepper. A loaf of crusty bread fresh from the oven with some great butter.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Stage one of tonight's chowdahfest. Instead of getting a few pounds of clams, I kind of lost it at the store and came home with an entire sack of clams:

gallery_19804_437_276059.jpg

Yes, friends, that's 100 clams, about 25 pounds, there in that sack, wild cherrystones (bigger than littlenecks, smaller than quahogs) that had been harvested yesterday in Long Island Sound off the coast of Connecticut. Each clam was about 1/4 pound, a little smaller than a medium apple and a little bigger than the base of a bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale:

gallery_19804_437_178337.jpg

First off, I needed to clean the outside of the clams.

gallery_19804_437_335199.jpg

Then, I set up my steaming rig:

gallery_19804_437_114462.jpg

Stockpot with two cups of water, then the steaming rack, then a simple flat basket to hold the clams. I steamed about 20 clams at a time:

gallery_19804_437_128235.jpg

As they opened up, I plucked them out:

gallery_19804_437_53185.jpg

Working over a bowl, I shucked the clams, being sure to save every drop of the liquor. From that 25 pounds of cherrystones in the shell, I got about 2 1/2 pounds of clam meat:

gallery_19804_437_159554.jpg

And, after straining the broth and the liquor in the shucking bowl, I got eight cups of stunning clam juice:

gallery_19804_437_93699.jpg

Of course, the chef enjoyed a few -- well, more than a few -- treats while he toiled:

gallery_19804_437_67971.jpg

These happen to be among the best, briny-est, sweetest clams I've ever had, so I'm expecting a fantastic chowdah later tonight. More soon!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory