• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good chow near Broad street subway

DTBarton

Hello Philadelphians-

I will be attending the NCAA tourney in a couple of weeks. Four games Friday with a two hour or so break between from about 5 - 7 PM. We don't want to take our car out of the stadium lot, so were thinking of taking the broad street subway line towards downtown to get a bite to eat. I guess due to time we wouldn't go any further than City Hall on the subway.

Does anyone have a recommendation for good sit down eats close to one of the subway stations between the stadium and City Hall? Not looking for fancy, but we like good stuff. Price not important, within reason.

I guess the other notion is that Friday is St Patrick's day so the pubs may be crowded!

Thanks in advance.

Either Ludwig's or El Vez would be perfect for pregame depending on your tastes. I'd go with Ludwig's. And a couple drafts of Avenitus to go with their steak tartare.

They're both a block from City Hall around the corner of 13th and Sansom.

Ludwig's: http://philadelphia.citysearch.com/profile/11352827/

El Vez: http://philadelphia.citysearch.com/profile/38047584/

Skip Monk's on 16th because the whole world will be there.

Edit: Good Dog on 15th, the perennial egullet favorite, would be a good move as well. Or Nodding Head further up Sansom. Both likely more crowded, however.

Edited by kretch (log)

"I've been served a parsley mojito. Shit happens." - philadining

For really good Italian, close to the stadiums, try L'Angolo (take the Broad Street line north one stop to Oregon St., walk two blocks north to Porter Street, and go to L'Angolo). I went a couple of times when my boyfriend had season tickets for the Flyers. GREAT (and relatively unusual) antipasti.

FYI: It's a tiny place, so you should probably call to get a reservation (215-389-4252) and it's BYO.

Another suggestion -- go to the Broad & Washington thread Jeff L. started for some recommendations close to the Washington St. stop (there's lots of Vietnamese and Mexican there, with a smattering of Korean and Thai-Laotian as well). Have fun!

I suspect there are a lot of great places even closer than the City Hall stop. I'm no expert on South Philly, but there are definitely places near the first three stops away from the stadiums.

L'Angolo comes to mind, as does Tre Scalini. Both are BYOB, I believe, if that makes a difference to you.

L'Angolo: 1415 W Porter St, Philadelphia, 19145 - (215) 389-4252 (Oregon Avenue station)

Tre Scalini: 1533 S 11th St, Philadelphia, 19147 - (215) 551-3870 (Tasker-Morris station)

Walk about 5 mins up Broad just past Snyder: Talk of the Town has one of the city's best cheesteaks (flipped, not chopped...in the style of Steve's Prince of Steaks).

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Walk about 5 mins up Broad just past Snyder:  Talk of the Town has one of the city's best cheesteaks (flipped, not chopped...in the style of Steve's Prince of Steaks).

Talk of the Town is just north of Packer Ave, 6 or so blocks south of Snyder. You can easily walk there from the arena parking lot.

Walk about 5 mins up Broad just past Snyder:  Talk of the Town has one of the city's best cheesteaks (flipped, not chopped...in the style of Steve's Prince of Steaks).

Talk of the Town is just north of Packer Ave, 6 or so blocks south of Snyder. You can easily walk there from the arena parking lot.

jmbrightman is correct. I meant Packer not Snyder.

I belch, therefore, I ate...

• 3 weeks later...

Bumped this back up to thank the folks who responded with recommendations. Based on them, we made an early reservation at L'Angolo and had a great meal. Informed of the BYOB status, our group raided their cellars (successfully) for Italian and French wine to accompany the chow.

Grilled polenta with wild mushrooms and fontina was very nice as were the veal specials, ravioli and a beautiful grilled chop. Excellent mascarpone cheesecake as well.

Grilled romaine app special also very good.

It was funny, there were about 15 of us heading from the subway at Oregon Ave. to L'Angolo in a group. Made for a crowded and lively early seating at about 5:30 PM. A couple of regulars at the next table wondered where the heck all these people were coming from so early and had to be informed of the basketball tournament situation.

Thanks again!