• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning Stubbornly Stained Cookware

pattimw

I am bumping this topic up to report that all of a sudden Dawn Power Dissolver has disappeared from supermarket shelves, at least in my area. I have been to Ralphs, Albertson's, Stater Brothers, Von's and Smart & Final.

They have plenty of the new foam stuff, even in different "flavors" but this stuff is not a substitute for the spray, it doesn't get into tight crevices easily.

I have written to Proctor & Gamble and complained and if anyone else likes this product and wants to continue using it, you can also send them an email.

P&G link

I get really annoyed with companies that suck one in, convince them to use a product because it is so great, then, when one does get used to it and depends on it, DISCONTINUES IT!

I bought the foam stuff, it doesn't work as well, the foam dries up too rapidly when applied to thich greasy stuff and one has to keep applying it. I did some blasted chicken on a full size sheet pan - I didn't want to go outside to use the Carbon-Off because it was below freezing, so I tried to use the foam stuff. It took most of a bottle and in my opinion is a waste of money. They dumped a superior product for an inferior one which is, of course, more expensive. Rats!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I also had a hard time finding Dawn Power Dissolver recently. I finally found some this weekend at Walmart (although I hate shopping there). I bought six bottles.

You can also buy it online from Amazon.com.

Here is a link to the company's site, providing retail sellers:

http://www.homemadesimple.com/en_US/dawn/productlocator.do

Good luck!

KBJ

The same thing happened to me with my brand new 5 qt. Le Creuset. I walked away and the sauce I was cooking burned solid to the bottom of the pan. Nothing would get it out, including oven cleaner.

I called Le Crueuset and asked what next. They told me to boil some water in the pot, then pour a scoopful of Tide (the powder stuff, regular formulation) into it. Boil it for five minutes, then let the water cool to room temp. Scrub with a nylon pad. They mentioned it might take a few tries to get all the black stuff off. With my pot, it took five treatments.

For any staining, they said to soak the pot in a solution of bleach and water until the stain was gone.

Wash and dry. Then wipe down the inside of the pot with white vinegar.

It worked like a charm. The surface is still shiny, although I have noticed it is less nonstick than my other Le Creuset pieces since that unfortunate episode.

Good luck!

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

I thought it was just the backwards town I live in that lead to the disappearance of Dawn Power Dissolver... I will start a hunt - I love that stuff and my current bottle is about empty.

One more suggestion for crud on pans - Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I recently took all of the blackened crud off the bottom of my Le Creuset with it. It's also especially good for removing adhesive residue on pots, dishes, glasses, etc. It works for a gunked up cooktop too!

I also had a hard time finding Dawn Power Dissolver recently.  I finally found some this weekend at Walmart (although I hate shopping there).  I bought six bottles. 

You can also buy it online from Amazon.com.

Here is a link to the company's site, providing retail sellers: 

http://www.homemadesimple.com/en_US/dawn/productlocator.do

Good luck!

KBJ

I ordered a 10-pack of the stuff from ABC Wholesale via Amazon. I also printed up several of the P&G product pages describing the stuff and so far have delivered them in person to Albertson's and Stater Brothers. One of my neighbors went with me and she too gave the people in customer service her opinion that the foam stuff does not work as well as the spray.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

People who worked in my mother's kitchen were constantly burning stuff onto the pans.  She always put ammonia in the pan and sealed in in a plastic bag and let it sit.  She claimed the ammonia and the fumes from the ammonia softened the burnt-on stuff, making it easy to clean off.  Of course, you put the pan out of commisiion for as long as it takes to soak.  I think sometimes she soaked it for as much as a week.

This is exactly what my Uncle does with his pans and stove grates. Puts them into a small bucket with the ammonia solution, seals the whole works up in a garbage bag and lets it sit in his garage. Apparently it works like a hot damn.

Back in the days before self-cleaning ovens (but after the invention of the television) I once watched a local news guy give a tip on how to make cleaning your oven easier: fill a small pyrex bowl with ammonia and leave it in the oven overnight. I tried it (and no, you do not turn the oven on :smile:) and it actually, truly, really softened up the gunk on the oven walls. I was surprised ...

One more suggestion for crud on pans - Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I recently took all of the blackened crud off the bottom of my Le Creuset with it. It's also especially good for removing adhesive residue on pots, dishes, glasses, etc. It works for a gunked up cooktop too!

I spray Formula 409 cleaner on any burned on gunk on my pans and let it soak in a bit. Works like a charm. My pans are stainless steel. The label says not to use this stuff on "soft vinyl, varnishes or aluminum."

People who worked in my mother's kitchen were constantly burning stuff onto the pans.  She always put ammonia in the pan and sealed in in a plastic bag and let it sit.  She claimed the ammonia and the fumes from the ammonia softened the burnt-on stuff, making it easy to clean off.  Of course, you put the pan out of commisiion for as long as it takes to soak.  I think sometimes she soaked it for as much as a week.

Brilliant. I'm going to buy some ammonia tomorrow.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Take it outside before you add the ammonia.

• 1 year later...

Back to the grease cleaning thing...

I've got a stainless steel pot with grease stuff on it--you know, when you're cooking popcorn in a pot and the oil gets a bit too hot and it kind of sticks to the pot like residue...

Well, I've scrubbed and scrubbed with Comet-like cleanser, and it still won't come out. This pot isn't mine (it belongs to my employers, as does almost everything else in my apartment), so I need to save it (I could replace it, but I'm a cheapskate and just don't want to put money into this place). I've read through this topic, but I've got some problems.

1) Can't get Dawn Power Dissolver in Japan (did I mention I was in Japan?)

2) Can't get Barkeepers Friend in Japan

3) Can't get oven cleaner in Japan

4) I'm afraid of ammonia and don't have a big enough balcony to use it, anyway.

I can't get 1-2 in Canada, either (I thought I'd ask my mother to bring some over, but my research has shown #1 is not available in Canada, and #2 is very difficult to find), and #3 is not transportable by airplane. Boiling water in the pot hasn't worked, either.

Is there anything else I can try? Would steel wool damage the pot if I decided to give it a try? What about vinegar? Or baking soda?

I've got a stainless steel pot with grease stuff on it--you know, when you're cooking popcorn in a pot and the oil gets a bit too hot and it kind of sticks to the pot like residue...

Well, I've scrubbed and scrubbed with Comet-like cleanser, and it still won't come out.  This pot isn't mine (it belongs to my employers, as does almost everything else in my apartment), so I need to save it (I could replace it, but I'm a cheapskate and just don't want to put money into this place).  I've read through this topic, but I've got some problems.

1)  Can't get Dawn Power Dissolver in Japan (did I mention I was in Japan?)

2)  Can't get Barkeepers Friend in Japan

3)  Can't get oven cleaner in Japan

4)  I'm afraid of ammonia and don't have a big enough balcony to use it, anyway.

I can't get 1-2 in Canada, either (I thought I'd ask my mother to bring some over, but my research has shown #1 is not available in Canada, and #2 is very difficult to find), and #3 is not transportable by airplane.  Boiling water in the pot hasn't worked, either. 

Is there anything else I can try?  Would steel wool damage the pot if I decided to give it a try?  What about vinegar?  Or baking soda?

Can you get dishwasher powder? The stuff you put in the dishwasher not the stuff you use to hand wash dishes. If you can, try a tablespoon of it in the pan, fill with water and bring to a boil. Let stand for 2-3 hours and see how that goes. If it is on the outside of the pan, then try putting it in a larger pan with the water and powder in the larger pan. This works for me.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Can you get dishwasher powder?  The stuff you put in the dishwasher not the stuff you use to hand wash dishes. If you can, try a tablespoon of it in the pan, fill with water and bring to a boil.  Let stand for 2-3 hours and see how that goes.  If it is on the outside of the pan, then try putting it in a larger pan with the water and powder in the larger pan.  This works for me.

I'll take a look around. Japanese houses don't usually have dishwashers (other than little countertop types), so it might be difficult, but I might be able to find something like it somewhere.

Thanks!

Well, I've scrubbed and scrubbed with Comet-like cleanser, and it still won't come out.  This pot isn't mine (it belongs to my employers, as does almost everything else in my apartment), so I need to save it (I could replace it, but I'm a cheapskate and just don't want to put money into this place).  I've read through this topic, but I've got some problems.

1)  Can't get Dawn Power Dissolver in Japan (did I mention I was in Japan?)

2)  Can't get Barkeepers Friend in Japan

3)  Can't get oven cleaner in Japan

4)  I'm afraid of ammonia and don't have a big enough balcony to use it, anyway.

I can't get 1-2 in Canada, either (I thought I'd ask my mother to bring some over, but my research has shown #1 is not available in Canada, and #2 is very difficult to find), and #3 is not transportable by airplane.  Boiling water in the pot hasn't worked, either. 

Is there anything else I can try?  Would steel wool damage the pot if I decided to give it a try?  What about vinegar?  Or baking soda?

When is your mom coming to Japan? I could mail her some barkeepers friend ( I dont think they make the power disolver anymore)

When is your mom coming to Japan?  I could mail her some barkeepers friend ( I dont think they make the power disolver anymore)

No way! It was still on their website, so I assumed it was still being made. There's an industrial strength Dawn De-greaser on their professional website, too, but that's only for businesses, not for us common folk. :smile:

Thanks for the offer! She's leaving for the Philippines next week, though, so it probably wouldn't arrive in time. I vaguely remember seeing some Barkeepers Friend in Tokyo once, so I'll look around if I make it up there next month. It'll probably cost an arm and a leg, but it'll still be cheaper than buying a new pot!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...