• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fetco brewer at home.

kguetzow

I have been looking at brewing machines for a while and noticed a lot of thumbs up for Technivorm. It seems to get high marks for brewing temperature, like a commercial machine. So, I was wondering why no one seems to favor commercial machines like Fetco http://www.fetco.com/extractor.htm They have smaller models that seem reasonable for a home setup. Is price the only drawback?

To some extent price is the only real drawback but there are a few other considerations. The appropriate models will be airpot brewers that are too tall to fit under kitchen cabinets, they take up more space depth wise than a Technivorm or other drip brewer and they usually require a water line.

Typically they are designed to brew either 2.2 liter or 3 liter airpots although in some cases they can be configured to brew a half batch. If you're looking for flexibility in brew batch size they are not a good choice. I use a small Melittta pour-over filter cone at home and consider that coffee to have an edge over a Fetco in overall quality. But I use Fetco brewers in the cafe where I work and they're a great machine for both volume and consistency.

IMHO you will get better coffee from a Fetco than from any consumer auto-drip maker. But if by chance you have $7500 (not a typo) burning a hole in your pocket you really should consider a

Clover

HINT: they make great gifts and your favorite eGullet Coffee & Tea Forum Host would love to have one under his tree next Christmas (I'll actually put up a tree for a change if there's going to be a Clover under it!)

Clover

HINT: they make great gifts and your favorite eGullet Coffee & Tea Forum Host would love to have one under his tree next Christmas (I'll actually put up a tree for a change if there's going to be a Clover under it!)

OK, I can top you, I don't have Christmas, and I'LL put up a tree for one of those! Heck, I'll WEAR a tree! I think that communal living is the way to go. Then we can all pitch in and buy this amazing machine, and still pay a mortgage!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I think I may go back to my mellita as well. I have a french press, Mellitta, vacuum pot, turkish pot, and a Cusinart auto drip (not a great machine). You are right, the pour over is better coffee, & simpler. Maybe I need to let go of the idea of an auto drip and join the slow food movement. Perhaps its testosterone fueled logic. I'll time myself auto vs. pour over. Most likely not much difference.

However the Clover certainly satisfy my gadget needs! Now I just need someone to sell one on Ebay for 50 bucks.

• 2 weeks later...

heh... funny. When I took my wife down to Durham NC for our initial meeting with folks at Counter Culture, they were telling us about the benefits of the Fetco Extractor brewing system. The first question my wife asked was, "Do they make a home-version?"

Hmmmm... tempting ;-)