• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last Meal, Vancouver-style

Ling

(I'm stealing this thread idea from the Philly board...thought it'd be fun :wink: )

If you had to choose one meal available locally as your last, what would it be?

I would choose something simple, delicious and comforting. It would be the twice-baked almond croissant from Haas.

Make that a dozen.

Edited by Ling (log)

My last meal is at a few of my favourite places.

A sazerac from George to get my last meal going.

Pan Fried Oysters from Rodneys as my app.

The Lobster Ceviche at Blue Water for second course, I have to get past the lobster snapping its claws at me in the ice bowl while I eat the tail in front of it. OK I am past it already.

A 20 ounce New York from the Hamilton Street Grill as my entree, the best big steak deal in town.

I am not sure if this dish is still available but I had the stilton cheese cake at Diva back in the Michael Noble days and it was unreal.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

^Yes, the stilton cheesecake is still on the menu, and it is also sold at both Thomas Haas in N. Van and at Sen5es.

I also do a version of it at home, with a toasted pecan graham crust and extra stilton in the cheesecake batter. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

I also do a version of it at home, with a toasted pecan graham crust and extra stilton in the cheesecake batter.  :smile:

Home? No way! You MUST bring some by the next time you make it....I will pay top dollar for it. Pecan graham crust, oh yeah. I think my stomach just rumbled....I am going pavlovian right now thinking about it.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

I would start with a dozen oysters at Rodney's, limber up with Toshi's marinated tuna salad and then really get started with the duck liver salad at Le Gavroche and a lobster bisque at Le Crocodile.

Then it would be time for some serious food. A porterhouse steak at Mortons, up the street for a vintners duck at Don Francesco, across to Yaletown for a flame grilled chicken and mushroom risotto at Cioppinos...and then...well we might as well continue east for some pork and clams at Senhor Rooster.

To finish I would head back to Le Gavroche and do some serious damage to the cheese trolley.

It would have to be the degustation menu at "C" on a summer evening. Three hours of Robert Clarke's food would be a nice send off.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I'll take this dinner on the patio at Brix with my wife, please...

To begin:

Cheese and Bacon Crackers @ Nu | Vitello Tonnato @ Adesso | Duck Spring Rolls @ Beach House

Tritinity of Soups:

Wild Boar Consomme @ Century | French Onion soup @ Cassis | Mushroom Soup @ Chambar

Mains

Root Beer Braised Bison Short Ribs @ Aurora Bistro | Steak Frites @ Brasserie L'Ecole | Duck Confit @ Cru

Dessert Quad

Eleanor Chow platter @ Chambar | Chocolate Molten Lava Cake @ Vintropolis | Gingerbread Pudding @ HSG | Do-It-Yourself Smores @ Curious | Montezuma @ Chocoatl

If I could also have Jacques from Habit serving me with Jamie Boudreau, Mark Brand, Neil Ingram and Mark Taylor present tableside for wine/cocktail pairings that would be great, too. Thanks.

(Too much?) :unsure:

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I'd choose a repeat of my first Vancouver meal:

A&W root beer, burger (with pickle slice, of course) and onion rings.

Memo

burgerfamily.jpg

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Dear Andrew:

You might need a bigger casket :biggrin: !

It would have to be Mr. Bean at Octopus's Garden then I would head over to Vij's for the lamb popsicles and the green beans, cauliflower and new potato curry with ricotta and couscous cakes. Perhaps a bit predictable but there are certain cravings that are never satisfied....

Oh this is easy...I would go to my mom's so she could cook me some Ifisashi and Nshima (Zambia's version of soul food).

However...if I must pick somewhere public...I would stuff my face full of chocolate and pastry at Sen5es.I'll have one of everything please. :)

Mmmm.... a thinker of a topic ... lemme see:

To start would be dessert .... the Coconut Cake at LK and an Oatmeal Choc. Chip cookie at Dish would do. Washed down with a Macallan Elegancia.

Then a fantastic Japanese course of Sushi and Soft shelled crabs from Toshi's eaten off of a naked horizontal Halle Berry. (Don't worry, my wife is all over this too :wink: ) This while drinking some very nice Hot Sake.

ahem .... then a couple of inferno pizza slices from Marcello's, while interchanging Hoegardden and Stella while watching some UFC.

Then off to Northern Dynasty for some Alaskan King Crab and xiao lin bao.

A quick stop at Lee's for a couple of drum sticks of their spicy fried chicken paired nicely with an assortment of Trappiste Beer.

Finally ending up at the Irish Heather where a plate of Neil's Yard Dairy cheeses and an assortment of fine Scotch's await for me to devour them while going towards the light on the warm musical waves of William Whitmore Elliot singing "Lift my jug to the sky".

Since I am the "special dietary need" guy who runs www.foodvancouver.com who has been on a low fibre diet for 15 years. I would start with a bag of popcorn from 5th Avenue Cinemas then it would be a red BC delicious apple, assorted other vegetables and fruit eaten by hand from Granville Island. To top it off a Dairy Queen peanut buster parfait with extra roasted nuts. It is the simple pleasure of biting into an apple, eating a bag of popcorn and having my favourite desert with nuts that would be the best memory to have the last meal with.

Since I am the "special dietary need" guy who runs www.foodvancouver.com who has been on a low fibre diet for 15 years.  I would start with a bag of popcorn from 5th Avenue Cinemas then it would be a red BC delicious apple, assorted other vegetables and fruit eaten by hand from Granville Island. To top it off a Dairy Queen peanut buster parfait with extra roasted nuts.  It is the simple pleasure of biting into an apple, eating a bag of popcorn and having my favourite desert with nuts that would be the best memory to have the last meal with.

Man, this would be the time to blow it out of the water!!!!

steak, lobster, lots of butter etc/

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Since I am the "special dietary need" guy who runs www.foodvancouver.com who has been on a low fibre diet for 15 years. 

My thoughts exactly! There would have to be some "forbidden" foods that you'd indulge in since it was to be your LAST meal.

For me? Easy ... a bowl of my wife's chicken-corn chowder, pulled pork from my smoker, and chardonnay-braised lamb shanks (from Vancouver Cooks) ... all enjoyed with my wife and kids.

Thanks goodness I don't need to worry about it untill January 17, 2058 :wink:

A.

Since I am the "special dietary need" guy who runs www.foodvancouver.com who has been on a low fibre diet for 15 years.  I would start with a bag of popcorn from 5th Avenue Cinemas then it would be a red BC delicious apple, assorted other vegetables and fruit eaten by hand from Granville Island. To top it off a Dairy Queen peanut buster parfait with extra roasted nuts.  It is the simple pleasure of biting into an apple, eating a bag of popcorn and having my favourite desert with nuts that would be the best memory to have the last meal with.

Your right!!!! I forgot the granola and Muslix!!!!

- Cream of mushroom soup from Parkside truffle oil and all.

- Grilled mussels and chorizo from Cannery

- Porterhouse at Gothams OR Guiness Stew from Burgoo

- Chinese Donuts from Double Double to dip into the above

- Crepe Suzette from Le Gavroche

- Deep fried bananas from Banana Leaf

Ok I think I will be dead by this point :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

First of all the oysters--as shucked by Oyster Guy--Mr. Zuke, Chef Neil from HSG, Chef Jeff from Aurora all presenting and cooking me oysters in a cornucopia of ways. I would be drinking bubbly--the top of the line French stuff. I had one at the wine fest tasting a few years back that made me imagine I was on the Titanic. That one.

Mushroom risotto from Trafalgers as it is my ultimate comfort food, with Grey Monk Rotberger, just because I have pleasant memories of that wine.

A course of several meat dishes from Cru.

A salad course from UBC farm made by the Downtown Eastside Community Kitchen.

Beautiful Old Sauternes.

My mother in law's sour cherry pie and my mom's black forest cake.

Chocolate: As many Nipples of Venus by Genevieve of Robert's Creek as I could eat.

Very good port.

Then I'm good to go.

Of course, this would all have to be performed in Saskatchewan, as that is the only place I want to rest my soul. Too many mountains blocking the view here.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

On your own?? I'm almost certian it would be bust :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I'd start with some hot & sour soup at Wild Rice (I miss the neon squid! The tofu replacement's just not the same), then follow it up with the incredible mushroom soup at Bacchus.

Then beef carpaccio and mushroom risotto at Cin Cin.

Finally, one of everything at Patisserie Ganache, plus a case of fresh fruit jellies to go, then the sorbet trio at Feenie's.

Mmm I'm all of a sudden very hungry!

I'd have to go with the cassoulet at Cafe de Paris. Served with a bold red. For dessert? A cheese plate, as long as it contained Epoisse, and more red.

Oh yeah, an appetizer. A dozen oysters and a cold Stella.

Paul B