• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olive Oil Sorbet/Gelato

Mary Ann

There's one on the Williams-Sonoma website that is based on Mario Batali's. And, of course, Batali's recipe was published in the Babbo cookbook. Have you tried the one at Otto in NY? -- it's delicious with flaked sea salt sprinkled on top and served with a tangerine sorbet.

There's one on the Williams-Sonoma website that is based on Mario Batali's. And, of course, Batali's recipe was published in the Babbo cookbook. Have you tried the one at Otto in NY? -- it's delicious with flaked sea salt sprinkled on top and served with a tangerine sorbet.

I have both seen the Babbo recipe and had Otto's version. The Babbo recipe seems odd in that the eggs and dairy are not cooked. Thanks for the info!

Edited by worldtoughmilkman (log)

I have a distinct advatage here: I work in biotechnology and have access to liquid nitrogen which I take home in a dewars flask I bought on ebay.

I find with oil based sorbets and gelatos, the LN quick freeze method is one of the best ways of making them. I get small crystal size and I do not muck up my ice cream maker. Simply wisk in a bowl the oil, any other base ingrediants and the LN.

Has anyone tried the Williams Sonoma recipe? I LOVE Otto's olive oil gelato, but my attempts at homemade ice cream have always been disappointing. Usually it's very icy, not creamy enough.

Has anyone tried the Williams Sonoma recipe? I LOVE Otto's olive oil gelato, but my attempts at homemade ice cream have always been disappointing. Usually it's very icy, not creamy enough.

They don't include stabilizers, freeze depressers and the likes in recipes for home cooks. Not sure if they use any gums or dextrose or anything in the Babbo, maybe they turn over quick enough that crystals aren't an issue.

Regardless, 3g:Quart of Stabilizer never hurts.

They don't include stabilizers, freeze depressers and the likes in recipes for home cooks. Not sure if they use any gums or dextrose or anything in the Babbo, maybe they turn over quick enough that crystals aren't an issue.

I apologize as I see that my thread is misleading. It looks as though I have a recipe. After I make my mistakes tomorrow, I will post my results. No pictures though, I'm an idiot.

I apologize as I see that my thread is misleading. It looks as though I have a recipe. After I make my mistakes tomorrow, I will post my results. No pictures though, I'm an idiot.

I made an attempt today and was pleased with the flavor. I found the texture to be almost fluffy. This, I did not like. I think that I can fix it (my dad's a television repairman, he's got the ultimate set of tools) I will do so and post my findings.