• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Synergy between sweet and savory: Port wines

Gifted Gourmet

article from National Restaurant News

Port is appearing in more savory restaurant dishes...  port can be used to add color, flavor and depth to condiments, chefs say, from rich port-and-Stilton jus to creamy port aïoli and palate-cleansing port-truffle sorbet. Port plays into the most popular dish at the upscale Grill 23 in Boston, the slow-roasted beef tenderloin served over mashed potatoes with tawny-port-and-Stilton jus ...Murray uses tawny port in his lobster stock... makes a port-and-truffle-juice sorbet as an intermezzo course ... an appetizer of seared foie gras is served over candied figs and truffle-port sauce...  short ribs braised in port ...  aged, corn-fed Prime beef with port-infused plum and fig chutney..."It's a beautiful dish, with the ruby red port, the bright green from the chive oil and the golden chanterelles,"

I use port but mostly in sweet dishes ... now that I see how it is used by these chefs, in the layering of flavors, I need to learn to use it more creatively ...

How do you use port in your cooking? :rolleyes:

Please share any and all ideas here! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I use port in braises, French Onion Soup, onion confit and port-wine reductions usually.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I use port in braises, French Onion Soup and port-wine reductions usually.

I just made lamb shanks braised in port with star anise from the March Bon Appetit. Really good. Have also used it in sauces over the years & best of all, just finished a glass of 30-year-old port.

I just made lamb shanks braised in port with star anise from the March Bon Appetit.  Really good.

I might be defrosting my lamb shanks at any moment, thanks to your comment here! or I may make a port wine reduction to go with my main course: I heat the port in a very heavy saucepan over medium heat until the steam rises from the liquid. Then I let the liquid reduce very slowly for 2 to 3 hours, until it has reduced to a syrupy glaze. There should be about 1/4 cup of port glaze from the original 2 cups ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I have had a few meals with a port reduction sauce. One of my favorite appetizers at Kirch's French Country Inn in Lake Geneva, WI is a Crispy Duck & Portabella Mushroom Napoleon made with Crumbled Goat & BleuCheeses and a Port Wine Reduction. It is amazing. I could just eat that as my dinner and be satisfied.

I have added port to mushrooms and for a quick pan sauce for lamb chops. The mushrooms were really good with about a tablespoon or so of port and a splash of cream.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

Try poaching pears in port. Michael Roberts has a great recipe for them with the sauce reduced and then served with a roquefort cream anglais sauce as well as the reduced port.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

My own favorite Port invention was Chicken Paillards with Port, Stilton, and Walnuts.

I sauteed chicken paillards in butter and olive oil, set them aside and softened some shallots in the pan, add a good splash of port and let it reduce and then crumbled in Stilton. Poured the resulting sauce ofer the chicken and topped with toasted walnuts. Heaven!

Have used Gorgonzola, too.