• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Roux Scholarship 2006

Just got back from the regional finals in London at the Thames Valley University, this year's national finalists are as follows;

Lisa Allen of Northcote Manor

Stephen Stevens of Plas Bodegroes

Pravin Sharma of Courthouse Hotel Kempinsky

Armand Sablon of Orrery

Paul Kavanagh of The Montague Arms

Henry Vigar of The Greenhouse

The standard was very high and all of the finalists produced excellent dishes both for the ducklings and the mystery dessert box. This is the first time for many years that there has been a female finalist and also one of the few times that there will have been a final with no previous regional or national finalists.

Edited by Matthew Tomkinson (log)

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

March 27th - I've got it written in. And double apologies to Alison Jee for calling her Sarah, which of course makes everything even worse.

Is it the same schedule as before?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Good to see someone from Ockenden in the Regionals, Matt. Damn my advancing years, or I'd have given it another go....

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

March 27th - I've got it written in. And double apologies to Alison Jee for calling her Sarah, which of course makes everything even worse.

Is it the same schedule as before?

It should be, although this will be the first time i am there as a guest!

The regional i went to in London was superb and the final promises to be of a really high standard. Hope to see you there :smile:

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

Good to see someone from Ockenden in the Regionals, Matt.  Damn my advancing years, or I'd have given it another go....

It was my sous chef that entered, he did really well just the dessert let him down a bit. It looks like he will be entering again next year (his last chance).

• 4 weeks later...

Pravin Sharma of Courthouse Hotel Kempinsky was last night announced as the Roux Scholar of 2006, the finalists had to prepare a 'Coubiliac of Salmon and Seabass' for the judges and Pravin was declared by Michel Roux to be the clear winner.

I swear that ceremony gets longer every year, but its a great and truly worthy event and well worth sitting through for the amazing canapes and food stations afterwards (the lamb masala was particularly good). Pravin looked dead chuffed, the rest of them looked heart broken. Understadnable when you learn that the winner's prizes this year include (and I'm quoting from the Scholarship website) "three month stage at a 3-star Michelin establishment, plus £3,000 cash, courtesy of the Savoy Educational Trust,... a week’s paid work-experience in New York, courtesy of Restaurant Associates; an expenses paid trip including travel and overnight accommodation to visit the wine cellars of Champagne Gosset at Aÿ for a guided tour of the production process, a trip for two to visit the Caffé Musetti roasting factory in Milan and a set of Global Knives to the value of £1,000."

Roll on next year!

The prizes truly are fantastic, i came back from New york the week before last having had a fantastic time and a really great learning experience. I think that Pravin will take full advantage of the opportunites that the following year holds for him and is a very worthy winner.

How did Lisa Allen do? I know she didn't win, but did she hold her own? It would be great for a woman to take home the trophy at one of these events.

From what i hear she did really well, all of the finalists did. I think that getting through to the final already demonstrates she can hold her own.

The scholarship really do want more women to enter, compete and win the competition. I have worked with several really good female chefs but few seem to want to enter the scholarship and i am not really too sure why.

There is one previous female Roux Scholar and (I think) one female Ramsay Scholar. There are obviously many more male chefs in the world so statistically that would be reflected in these events and in the resultant winners. Im sure I speak for many chefs in hoping that more women come into the industry and win some of these competitions.