• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers' Markets in Ireland

Organic meats, game and charcuterie; farmhouse cheese, chutney and pressed juices; artisan bread, cakes and buns; freshly picked fruit, vegetables and herbs… these are a few of the wonderful foods you will find at the Farmers’ Markets in Ireland. And they are becoming more and more popular, as people vote with their feet, wallets and mouths and turn a trip to one of the markets into a special day out. Because these markets have a great buzz about them... from the trendy, urban vibe at Temple Bar in Dublin City Centre... to the sea breezes of Howth, Malahide and Dun Laoghaire on its coast... down south to the artisan heart of the country in Cork... west to the wild Atlantic coast of Clare, Galway and Mayo... and up north to Donegal, Antrim and Derry. Not missing all of the wonderful places in between!

Inspired by Kit Williams search for artisan bakers in Ireland , I thought it would be a good idea to start a dedicated thread. So, post your discoveries, comments and photos on anything to do with Farmers’ Markets in Ireland and artisan produce here.

DUBLIN MARKETS

Dundrum Farmers’ Market (Airfield House), Saturday 10am – 4pm

Dun Laoghaire Harbour Market, Thursday 10am – 5pm

Dun Laoghaire People’s Park Market, Sunday 11am – 4pm.

Farmleigh, Phoenix Park, (summer only), Sunday 11am – 4pm

Fingal Food Fayre, (Arts Centre, Rush), last Sunday of every month 12pm – 5pm

Howth Fishermans’ and Farmers’ Market, Sunday 10am - 4pm

Leopardstown Farmers’ Market (at the Racecourse), Friday 11am – 7pm

Malahide Market (beside GAA hall), Saturday 11am – 5pm

Marlay Park, Rathfarnham, Saturday 10am – 4pm

Pearse Street Market, Dublin Food Co–Op (St Andrew’s Centre), Saturday 9.30am – 3pm

Ranelagh Market (Multi Denominational School), Sunday 10am – 4pm

Temple Bar Market, Saturday 9am – 5pm, Wednesday 11am – 3pm

Wolfe Tone Park Gourmet Food Market (Mary St, Dublin 1), Friday 11am – 3pm

Useful links:

http://www.bordbia.ie/

http://www.irelandmarkets.com/look-for-markets-page.html

http://www.irishfarmersmarkets.ie/index.html

Edited by Corinna Dunne (log)

The market in the IFSC no longer happens -- it all just fizzled out at the end of last year.

Another to add to the list is the market in Monkstown, selling foodstuffs and other things. It happens every Saturday (10-4 maybe?) and is in the church grounds in Summer and the Knox Hall across the road in Winter.

Si

I know there is a farmers market in Ramelton, Donegal on Friday's from 8am til 12 (I think). It is very small, but you can get nice home baked breads (scones, brown, soda etc), chutneys, cheeses, all kinds of cakes and buns and small section that sells fresh veg and plants.

There is a good page here on Irish Farmers Markets:Farmer's Markets in IrelandThe information all looks accurate but it is missing Clonakilty's second market on a Saturday which unfortunately does very little food.The most recent changes in Cork are:Kinsale - Just started. Every Tuesday 9.30am to 1.30amBandon - starting April 1st. Will be on Saturday mornings in the Mace Carpark. More details when I attend the first one.

I wish there was a farmers' market closer to me (I'm in Lucan). I've been to Templebar a couple of times, but the thought of driving into the city and finding a parking space kind of puts me off.

It does seem like a missed opportunity not having a market out your direction Suman. Although a little bit of a drive, it may be worth trying the market at Marlay Park. It's great for parking (so none of the Temple Bar constraints) and it's a lovely venue, in the courtyard of the old La Touche house.

Also there is Ballybrado Direct, which is apparently a very good box scheme, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Thanks Corinna! I might try the Marlay park market in the near future. I keep dreaming of a farmers' market opening close to my house*. The BAllybrado site seems interesting too - I might not start ordering from them right away - but at least I know I have the option. After having read Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries, I find the notion of having a box of mystery organic produce delivered to my door quite exciting*.

*yes I know I'm weird - while other people daydream about winning the lotto and such, my daydreams feature a lot of food. :unsure:

As far as organic produce I've just read about a centre for organic gardening in NW Ireland (Leitrim). It's partially funded by a europen peace effort, nicknamed peace 2. It's not clear if they actually SELL their produce, but they do teach organic farming and courses in goatkeeping and other back to nature trends/traditions. From cooking with seaweed to yoga for gardeners. I might check it out if I get that far north. (see Saveur magazine, special ed. on Ireland...I assume because it's March)

The Organic Centre in Rossinver, Co Leitrim sounds incredible. I haven’t been there yet, but hope to get up in the summer. Highchef, I’d love to hear how you get on if you manage to fit it into your trip. Also, you may consider a visit to Lissadell House in Sligo. Klaus Laitenberger, the former head gardener at The Organic Centre is restoring the gardens of this estate and it is an incredible work in progress. See more details on it here and here. As far as I know, you can get a tour of the garden as well as the house. I think the site is being updated at the moment, but it’s worth checking back as there is usually a lot of information on it.

I'm beginning to think 10 days is not going to be sufficient. There is so much in the West that I want to do and now I'm just adding to it. I guess it's time to do some serious planning as all I have right now are the plane tickets! They Organic Centre has cooking classes that are appealing. Thanks Corinna.

Patty

I might try the Marlay park market in the near future. I keep dreaming of a farmers' market opening close to my house*.

Actually, when the Farmleigh Market opens again (when the weather improves), it will be just a short spin down the road for you to one of the loveliest markets around. Dreams do come true!

Thanks (yet again!) Corinna! You're a font of information! I hadn't even heard of Farmleigh (should I die of embarassment for not knowing that after 5 years in Dublin?), and now that I do, I can't wait for it to open. I googled, but can't find any specific dates. Do you know when they open?

Well you certainly learned one very important thing in your 5 years here… flattery will get you everywhere! Actually, it’s no surprise that you hadn’t heard about the Farmleigh Market. It only started last year, and was a government driven initiative which proved so successful that they are considering running similar markets in the grounds of other noteworthy, historical houses. I think it may be re-opening in May, but am not sure. The Farmleigh House website (which needs to be updated), would be worth checking from time to time. Also worth checking, is the Bord Bia listing (the Irish Food Board), which just states TBC at the moment.

Edited by Corinna Dunne (log)

• 8 months later...

There's a nice one in the Milltown church in Milltown, Co. Kerry, that's open most days.

Also, Clodagh McKenna just published a book The Irish Farmers' Market Cookbook that should interest anyone interested in this thread...

“My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate - that's my philosophy”

- Thornton Wilder

Shameless link to Kieranm's blog...

... And anyone interested in this thread will be interested in Kieran's very good quality ice cream... "Murphy's" from Dingle. Aoibheann McNamara of Ard Bia was singing your praises to me last week. I'm looking forward to the rich Kerry cow milk ice cream. And yes, I've got a copy of Clodagh McKenna's book already. I also like Darina Allen's Traditional Cooking book.