• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhubarb...

aidensnd2

gallery_21505_4018_160126.jpg

Oh, sweet rhubarb!

nakji - I wish I could send you some! I can't imagine what seven years without rhubarb feels like!
Erin, after seven rhubarb-free years you must be itchin'. I've got tons in the yard, but it hasn't sprouted yet and it's under 10cm of snow.

How unbelievable is this? After I posted this, I went into work, and stopped by the depaichika on my way, as is my custom. What were they selling? Strawberry rhubarb cheesecake!!!!!!!!!! Inconceivable!

Of course, I fell on it, despite the fact it was 900 yen. We had it for dessert last night, but I find, I must agree with Klary and bluechefk - it's best on its own, isn't it? I found the strawberry overwhelmed it with sweetness. I like my rhubarb like I like my friends - the tarter, the better. Oh, well, it took the edge off.

i'm making the macarons at work, so have to be accommodating. i think i'll end up with a strawberry macaron, filled with a rhubarb-lemon curd, and a beautiful, deep pink cube of poached rhubarb hidden inside. at home, i may try a all-rhubarb-all-the-time version!

This sounds gorgeous - especially the cube of poached fruit. Please post a cross-section photo when you're done!

• 2 years later...

Through the generosity of a neighbor, I have about 5 lbs of the first rhubarb of the year for my area. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet but I'm happy to have it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It's delicious cooked in little crocks using a basic pie filling recipe-then top each individual crock with a basic streusel topping. For about the last 30 seconds of baking, turn on the broiler to crisp the top.

Wanna hear something crazy? I didn't try rhubarb for the first time until about a month ago. That's thirty one and half years of perfectly good rhubarb eating time wasted! Well, maybe thirty, since I'm pretty sure you need teeth to really enjoy it...

Anyways, I had an amazing rhubarb crumb cake from one of my favorite bakeries and now I'm hooked. Who knew something that looks like mutant red celery could taste so good? Well, everyone here, obviously...

I just made the roasted rhubarb from Around My French Table, a butter cake, and some lovely vanilla pastry cream. When they meet, they will be dessert...

Edited by Genkinaonna (log)

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

This is a dessert I had featured in Carmel Magazine. Chilled vanilla bean rhubarb soup with creme fraiche panna cotta, candied pistachios, strawberries and a strawberry lace tuile. I still get lots of requests for it when rhubarb is in season.

I was never a fan of rhubarb until I had it roasted with vanilla bean, and that changed my mind :).

rhubarb2.jpg

Here's how my dessert turned out last night it tasted pretty yummy...and I totally second the roasting with vanilla approach.

rhubarb torte.jpg

The cake is the Vistandine cake from Around My French Table. It's buttery, vanilla-y and very springy, a perfect foil for the rhubarb and pastry cream.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I have not seen rhubarb in the store this year. Did I miss it?

My own little rhubarb plant is just that - little.

Still, it has all summer to recover - is it still good to harvest once the stems are going green? Or does it need to be new and bright red stems only?

My first rhubarb each year is simply stewed, then served with heavy cream. I dont have to share unless my parents are visiting. :)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 1 month later...

Kouign Aman - There is currently rhubarb in the stores in San Diego! I got a bunch in my CSA last week and also spotted it at Ralphs in Hillcrest.

I decided to make a pie using the recipe from Ruhlman's Ratio, The Bebop-A-Reebop rhubarb pie wih lattice crust. It was wonderful. I love all things tart and I was very happy with this dessert!

6037356440_13af7a8128_z.jpg

One little thing can revive a guy

And that is a piece of rhubarb pie

Serve it up, nice and hot

Maybe things aren't as bad as you thought

From The Prairie Home Companion

I found it about a week after my post. As always, I didnt have to share so I had two pounds of rhubarb, stewed, with heavy cream. Wonderful breakfast, lunch, dessert.

A classic at our house growing up was rhubarb pie served with liquid custard (creme anglaise-ish).

Crumble is good.

I very much dislike the combination of strawberry with rhubarb.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 8 months later...

Its getting to be that time! I'll be getting my fix from the grocery again, because my own little plant is just not enough. Oddly, the leaves that would poison us dont bother the d*mnd snails at all.