• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhubarb...

aidensnd2

Yes, I too owe my newfound combo of rhubarb and coconut to this thread. I've been making a very simple compote using only rhubarb, sugar and creme de cassis. I imagine plenty of other liqueurs or eau de vie would be yummy too. I add no other liquid and simmer for about 12-15 minutes. I love it warm just by itself, or with lemon-buttermilk sorbet or Fage yogurt. I top it with toasted unsweetened flaked coconut and toasted nuts. I worship at the altar of rhubarb.

Hey, Chufi! Is the rhubarb season really over in Holland already???  :biggrin:

no it´s not over! I´ve been eating a lot of it, but mostly for breakfast: rhubarb compote with granola and turkish yoghurt, I can´t think of a nicer way to start the day!

yes, rhubarb and coconut is lovely isn´t it? I´ve been playing with the idea of a coconut ricepudding with rhubarb compote.

Edited by Chufi (log)

I bought 10lbs of Rhubarb yesterday. It cost 2.00lb for 10 lbs or more or 2.50 for less so I picked up the 10lbs for the seniors. I figure it will freeze really well. ( as an aside, 3yrs ago in my first foodblog it cost 1.25lb).

I'm making them a rhubarb custard cake( tomorrow). You bake up a vanilla cake( I'm using a mix) and then sprinkle with sugar and 2 cups of chopped rhubarb. 1 cup of whipping cream is poured over top and then the entire pan is baked in the oven.

Check the senior thread on Friday for the pics.

Thinning the rhubarb on Saturday, I pulled a bunch of leaves.

Needed some dessert for dinner, and we already had a couple pounds of kiwi fruit.

Rhubarb and Kiwi pudding!

Dumped a bunch of sugar on the cleaned and sliced rhubarb. Let it sit for an hour and start to release juices. Added a cinnamon stick and the zest of half an orange. Cooked until it started to soften, then added a bunch of kiwis and 2 TBSP tapioca.

OK, it was pretty ugly when it was done cooking.

Served it still warm with some whipped cream.

The crispy kiwi seeds provided a nice texture counterpoint to the soft pudding.

Yummy!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

today's haul

for breakfast I took your great idea Calipoutine!!! just did not have cake so made biscuit dough

1 recipe basic buttermilk biscuits crumbled up in the bottom of a buttered baking dish

toss about 1/2 cup vanilla sugar (maybe a little more) into

3 cups of diced rhubarb

spread on top of the buttermilk biscuit crumbles

and just poured cream over the top!

baked until done it is a creamy sweet tart upside down cobbler

fanflippingtastic breakfast thank you!

I love rhubarb and it is coming in like crazy!!! you guys don't die out me the season just began!

I am going to try the coconut cream with agar and cut it into cubes maybe?

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I bought 10lbs of Rhubarb yesterday.  It cost 2.00lb for 10 lbs or more or 2.50 for less so I picked up the 10lbs for the seniors.  I figure it will freeze really well.  ( as an aside, 3yrs ago in my first foodblog it cost 1.25lb).

I'm making them a rhubarb custard cake( tomorrow).  You bake up a vanilla cake( I'm using a mix) and then sprinkle with sugar and 2 cups of chopped rhubarb.  1 cup of whipping cream is poured over top and then the entire pan is baked in the oven. 

Check the senior thread on Friday for the pics.

Just an FYI, I was going from memory when I posted this. I just checked the recipe again and its 4 cups of rhubarb, not 2.

First, a question: when does rhubarb season begin? I think of it as May, but the 2008 portion of this thread started in April.

I went to the farmer's market this weekend specifically for asparagus and rhubarb. I saw one stand with one box of rhubarb and kept going, thinking I'd find more. Wrong. By the time I got back to the one farmer who had rhubarb, half of the box was gone! The woman who was at the box was not sharing, so I had to reach around her to grab some. We were after different things, though, because I was picking the reddest, smallest stalks. Once the rhubarb box was all mine, I was joined by another woman. She was making a rhubarb pie, but she wasn't feeling very chatty. Still picking out my stalks one by one, I became aware that a uniformed person from the Culinary Institute was standing by with a huge stainless steel bowl, ready to buy out the farmer.

I managed to grab three pounds.

One pound went to my usual rhubarb cake, now thought of as rhubarb shortcake. It's only an 8 x 8, but this is a four serving cake in my house.

Two pounds went to rhubarb sorbet -- I used the recipe from Epicurious. Wowee is that beautiful and delicious. I think I'm going to serve that on top of a bowl of sugared strawberries or mixed raspberry/strawberry.

If you Google rhubarb sauce, you get all sorts of ideas.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I went to a poker game later that same night, and was informed that my earlier experience was a rhubarb rhubarb.

:laugh:

CaliPoutine, that pie looks delicious. I love lattice-top pies. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find rhubarb for love or money where I am. I'm hoping there will be some at the farmers' market on Saturday. I can't wait until we take possession of our house next month - then I can plant some rhubarb and never have to go without!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Strawberry rhubarb lassi for two

in the blender

1 cup ice cold buttermilk

2 cups rhubarb/strawberries stewed with some sugar and chilled

no pics sorry it was in a glass and pink! if you love rhubarb this is really very good ...the buttermilk is better than regular milk in there that is for sure!

Piglet 

my favourite rhubarb dish is lightly poached young stems poached in champagne, orange and pink peppercorns. Served with something like a buttermilk sherbet or creme fraiche ice icream it's really good.

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

The only thing I like better than rhubarb is buttermilk. I'm there, as soon as I can get some. I think I'll do a buttermilk smoothie with my rhubarb sorbet.

Try a cardamom lassi sometime, delish.

Randi, your pie is supreme. No matter how many times I do them, I have to follow a picture to do a lattice. I'm dyslattix.

CaliPoutine, that pie looks delicious. I love lattice-top pies. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find rhubarb for love or money where I am. I'm hoping there will be some at the farmers' market on Saturday. I can't wait until we take possession of our house next month - then I can plant some rhubarb and never have to go without!

Thanks. We're lucky in that there is a farm that sells it right down the road. I did plant some this year so hopefully I'll have a crop myself next year.

The only thing I like better than rhubarb is buttermilk.  I'm there, as soon as I can get some.  I think I'll do a buttermilk smoothie with my rhubarb sorbet.

Try a cardamom lassi sometime, delish.

Randi, your pie is supreme.  No matter how many times I do them, I have to follow a picture to do a lattice.  I'm dyslattix.

Thanks. I sat by the computer reading the instructions to Robin as she wove the lattice top. I dont think we'd be able to do it again without instructions.

Hey, Chufi! Is the rhubarb season really over in Holland already???  :biggrin:

I tried another rhubarb and coconut dessert today, this time Coconut Creams with Poached Rhubarb. Delicious, again:

gallery_43137_2974_42886.jpg

(You cannot see, but there are lots of vanilla seeds in the rhubarb compote. MMmmm.)

I made these yesterday and I am just overwhelmed at how well coconut and rhubarb taste together and the taste and textures of this simple very easy to make ...

four of us ate it and four of us really love it ..

it is a very nice dessert

thank you so much

actually everyone thank you ..the rhubarb is coming in nice big handfuls and picking up speed as we speak ...

such a nice season

Linda cardamom would be good in this lassi with the rhubarb for sure great idea thanks!

Piglet 

• 10 months later...

Bumpbumpbump!!

few things make me more excited than the season´s first rhubarb.

Last weekend I was in London, and at the Borough Market I spotted the first rhubarb I´ve seen this season.. beautiful big piles of pinkpink luminous rhubarb:

gallery_21505_4018_452599.jpg

gallery_21505_4018_87112.jpg

I was sooooo sad I couldn´t buy some and cook it. But, fortunately, I had lunch at Hereford Road where, on the day of my visit, there was a dessert of rhubarb jelly and rhubarb sorbet on the menu:

gallery_21505_4018_42079.jpg

Back in Amsterdam.. I had to look for a bit, and go to several markets and stores, but finally found some rhubarb today.

Those first precious stalks will just be a simple compote, to have with joghurt tomorrow morning for my favorite breakfast.

After that, it´s time for experimenting.

Anyone else cooking with rhubarb yet?

that rhubarb gelee is absolutely gorgeous! i'm going to try making something like that as soon as possible!

as i've posted elsewhere (extensively...because i'm so excited about it :biggrin:), i've received my copy of the PH macaron book, and while i'm waiting for my recently ordered almond flour to arrive in the mail, i'm busy trying to decide what kind of macaron to make first. this thread made me wonder about a strawberry-rhubarb macaron - seems like it could be a perfect match, since the tart rhubarb will make a nice foil to the sweet macaron. i happen to have a bunch of dried strawberry powder on hand, so figure i'll use that to flavor the macaron. but what about rhubarb for the filling? - what form should it take? rhubarb curd? rhubarb-white chocolate ganache?

all suggestions are welcome!

kerry

gallery_21505_4018_452599.jpg

This picture made me moan out loud! And not just because it's a pretty picture. It's been seven years since I last ate rhubarb. I'm going to e-mail my mother and ask her to put some rhubarb in the freezer for me as soon as it pops up in Nova Scotia.

as i've posted elsewhere (extensively...because i'm so excited about it biggrin.gif), i've received my copy of the PH macaron book, and while i'm waiting for my recently ordered almond flour to arrive in the mail, i'm busy trying to decide what kind of macaron to make first. this thread made me wonder about a strawberry-rhubarb macaron - seems like it could be a perfect match, since the tart rhubarb will make a nice foil to the sweet macaron. i happen to have a bunch of dried strawberry powder on hand, so figure i'll use that to flavor the macaron. but what about rhubarb for the filling? - what form should it take? rhubarb curd? rhubarb-white chocolate ganache?

My mother-in-law used to make the most fabulous stru-barb tea cake, which somehow involved whole chunks of rhubarb and a packet of strawberry jell-o. I think rhubarb-white chocolate ganache would be excellent with strawberry macarons, because even with a lot of sugar, rhubarb is still intensely tart. Or - could you make a rhubarb-infused custard as a filling? They go together really well.

It's been seven years since I last ate rhubarb. I'm going to e-mail my mother and ask her to put some rhubarb in the freezer for me as soon as it pops up in Nova Scotia.
Erin, after seven rhubarb-free years you must be itchin'. I've got tons in the yard, but it hasn't sprouted yet and it's under 10cm of snow.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Anyone else cooking with rhubarb yet?
Klary, please make something colourful and sour, and then photograph it for us to admire. It's looking like a tough week ahead.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

This picture made me moan out loud! And not just because it's a pretty picture. It's been seven years since I last ate rhubarb. I'm going to e-mail my mother and ask her to put some rhubarb in the freezer for me as soon as it pops up in Nova Scotia.

nakji - I wish I could send you some! I can't imagine what seven years without rhubarb feels like!

kerry - rhubarb curd sounds delicious. I might play with that later this week...

a rhubarb strawberry macaron sounds really good, although to be honest, I prefer rhubarb on its own or paired with something that's also a bit tart, like raspberries or grapefruit.

peter.. colourful and sour coming up soon. Stay tuned....

Edited by Chufi (log)

Rhubarb: the first 3 days

When it has just arrived, I want to enjoy as it is - experimenting will come later. So I make a simple compote. I had some pink grapefruit juice in the fridge so I used that as a liquid. I´ve made rhubarb/grapefruit jam in the past, but had forgotten how good this flavor combination is.

The compote is eaten with something soft and creamy.

The perfect breakfast: rhubarb, granola, joghurt:

gallery_21505_4018_102121.jpg

dessert #1: a simple vanilla pudding topped with rhubarb and toasted almonds

gallery_21505_4018_160126.jpg

dessert #2: coconut panna cotta with rhubarb

gallery_21505_4018_261257.jpg

(for this one, I added some more grapefruit juice to the compote to make it almost soupy).

Edited by Chufi (log)

a rhubarb strawberry macaron sounds really good, although to be honest, I prefer rhubarb on its own or paired with something that's also a bit tart, like raspberries or grapefruit.

for my personal taste, i agree with you completely :smile: unfortunately, the city i live & work in is all about the sugar - i'm making the macarons at work, so have to be accommodating. i think i'll end up with a strawberry macaron, filled with a rhubarb-lemon curd, and a beautiful, deep pink cube of poached rhubarb hidden inside. at home, i may try a all-rhubarb-all-the-time version!