• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhubarb...

aidensnd2

Hi all --

The best rhubarb I've ever had is in rhubarb peach crisp -- the combination is amazing! I used about 4 cups rhubarb and 1.5 cups peaches, added sugar and a bit of flour, and then topped with an oatmeal crisp topping (oatmeal, butter, little flour, brown sugar)... It is out of this world!

Emily

Hey, the rhubarb topic should not slip to the second page!  :smile:

here's custard, topped with rhubarb compote and meringue. In the oven till the meringue was cooked, then cooled again.

gallery_21505_2929_2918.jpg

That's so beautiful!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Has anyone been watching Jamie Oliver's newest series that has been showing on the Food Network? I think it is Jamie at Home, but I'm not sure - it is on Saturday mornings.

He just did a complete show on Rhubarb - both sweet & savory applications. The Crispy Pork & Noodles with Rhubarb looked AMAZING! Unfortunately, the recipie is not on the Food Network. Does anyone have this cookbook? Is it in there?

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump one of my favorite topics!

It is the season!

I have found early, pink rhubarb in exactly 1 store so far in Amsterdam. I've been eating rhubarb compote with joghurt for breakfast for days, and I'll be making a little rhubarb cake for dessert tonight. I LOVE it when the rhubarb season starts! What have you been doing with rhubarb?

really soon for us in the PNW of the US...Chufi!!! really soon!!! look at my babies just waiting ...soon I will have MONSTER plants filling a hill and all up under that bamboo

gallery_51681_4569_6006.jpggallery_51681_4569_76732.jpg

It is a war between the bamboo and the rhubarb now

I want to say my first spring pleasure from the garden is the very first stalk of rhubarb...yanked up ..washed and eaten like celery ..gives me shivers ..the good kind

then I love to make all kinds of things ...

I have yet to make a jelly and will have to try that!

purist here as well ..such a beautiful pie with all those leaves...no mixing! at least not until you have your absolute fill of all the 100% rhubarb goodness

nothing else tastes like this plant!

I do like to make at least one batch of syrup early on out of it ..for drinks!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

No weekend without rhubarb, this time of year.

Rhubarb almond crumble, warm from the oven, with spoonfuls of cold homemade custard. I was hoping for leftovers for this mornings breakfast, but my guests ate it all yesterday  :sad:

gallery_21505_2929_55911.jpg

Fabulous! I could eat that every day for breakfast.

Recipe, please? Or I shall be forced to fake it, as soon as I find the red stems in the store.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I made it some time ago and I don't really remember which recipe I used, but it could have been this one Delia's Rhubarb crumble.

I made a simple little rhubarb/ginger crumble yesterday, it was good but not great, the crumble mix was just butter/flour/sugar. I do like some oats or nuts in my crumble but I did not have any.

The combo rhubarb/ginger was divine as always though. I'll be getting more rhubarb tomorrow and do some rhubarb cooking this weekend!

here's a little rhubarb dessert I made yesterday.

Rhubarb compote (chunks of rhubarb tossed with sugar, roasted in a hot oven until soft, cooled) layered with coconut cream 8200 ml of cream, whipped, with 100 ml of thick coconut cream folded in). Drizzled with ginger syrup and topped with toasted almonds. Chilled until very very cold (I think it would have been even better with a short stay in the freezer)

gallery_21505_4018_103557.jpg

I am looking for a rhubarb panna cotta recipe. I found one, but it has sour cream in it which is ok, but I plan on serving it with a creme fraiche soup. Does anyone have a recipe without sour cream in it? Or maybe I could substitute the sour cream with mascarpone...here's the recipe:

2 cups rhubarb puree

1 cup sour cream

3 tablespoons confectioners sugar

2 (¼-oz) envelopes

½ cup whole milk

¼ cup heavy cream

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

lately I´ve been roasting rhubarb in the oven without any liquid added. I find this works great.. Just spread the rhubarb in one layer, sprinkle with sugar and roast in 180 C oven, tossing carefully a couple of times, for about 15 minutes.

I made another version of the rhubarb mess (variation on Eton mess) I posted about earlier in this thread: the roasted rhubarb, layered with crushed meringues and whipped cream. Whether you flavor the rhubarb with ginger or orange or both or whatever :smile: I´m just urging anyone who loves rhubarb to give this dessert a try.. it´s really the best thing I´ve eaten with rhubarb in a long time. Assemble just before eating so the meringue stays crisp.

my rhubarb is about a week from being able to harvest some stalks! I am so happy about this they look beautiful and I have two huge areas so I plan to try some of these recipes for sure ..I cook savory dishes like stuffed grape leaves with the rhubarb as well but ..desserts and breakfast are my favorite ways of enjoying it

a great thing to do with it ..not complicated but if you love rhubarb you will love doing this ..

make a smoothie ..I just freeze chunks of raw rhubarb and then toss them in the blender with half and half (or milk or yogurt, juice or whatever)

sweeten to taste and

grate some fresh ginger in there

you can add frozen strawberries as well

add a raw egg and it is a wonderful breakfast I think

(you can use the fresh raw rhubarb and add ice cubes but I think the frozen is better you get more flavor that way)

Piglet 

Chufi,

Your Rhubarb cake from your first post in the forum doesn't seem to be on recipegullet anymore, and I absolutely want to make it as soon as possible! It looks so good! Could you maybe share it again?

Is this the one you mean?

75 gram sugar

3 eggs, separated

75 grams butter, melted and slightly cooled

75 grams flour

pinch salt

grated zest of half an orange

200 grams rhubarb, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons brown sugar

small springformtin (18 cm), buttered, floured and sprinkled with sugar

mix the eggyolks with the sugar, add the butter, then the flour & salt & orangezest.

Beat the eggwhites until stiff. Fold into the batter. Pour into the tin, then sprinkle the rhubarb on top, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar.

Bake for ca. 40 minutes at 180 C.

btw I made a very nice little rhubarb tart this weekend.

I made a simple pate brisee, pressed it into a losse bottomed tin. Sprinkled the crust with 2 tablespoons of semolina, then filled the shell (raw) with sliced raw rhubarb. Sprinkled with sugar and drizzled with gingersyrup, then baked until the shell was nice and brown and the rhubarb had cooked down (this took longer than I exepcted, about 40 minutes?)

The juices of the rhubarb are thickened by the semolina. Lovely served warm with vanilla ice cream :smile:

Hi folks -- I made a yummy Rhubarb cobbler type desert yesterday that was SUPER easy -- truly took all of about 3 minutes to throw together and get in the oven. I've linked to the recipe since it is on someone elses blog -- mine came out looking just like her picture. As the blog writer mentioned, it had kind of a slightly meringue like finish... Went great with whipped cream, and I'm definitely going to try it using part rhubarb and part peach, one of my favorite combinations of all time...

http://bakingbites.com/2006/05/blink-of-an...bbler/#more-391

btw I made a very nice little rhubarb tart this weekend.

I made a simple pate brisee, pressed it into a losse bottomed tin. Sprinkled the crust with 2 tablespoons of semolina, then filled the shell (raw) with sliced raw rhubarb. Sprinkled with sugar and drizzled with gingersyrup, then baked until the shell was nice and brown and the rhubarb had cooked down (this took longer than I exepcted, about 40 minutes?)

The juices of the rhubarb are thickened by the semolina. Lovely served warm with vanilla ice cream  :smile:

Today I made miniature versions of that same tart, and added some raspberries to the rhubarb. Oh my were these good!!

gallery_21505_4018_4106.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to pull about a pound of rhubarb from the garden yesterday! The first ones of the season for me and my frist taste was right from the garden ..(.shiver I just love the sour)

this is wonderful red rhubarb so tart and bright tasting!!!

made a really "rustic" rustic tart (no picture I am sorry)

just a simple pie pastry rolled out on pizza pan...put the diced rhubarb on it sprinkled with vanilla sugar ..folded the edges over ...sprnkled again with some more vanilla sugar and baked it

to die for

I am behind you guys in the rhubarb eating but wow that first bite :wub:

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

here's a little rhubarb dessert I made yesterday.

Rhubarb compote (chunks of rhubarb tossed with sugar, roasted in a hot oven until soft, cooled) layered with coconut cream 8200 ml of cream, whipped, with 100 ml of thick coconut cream folded in). Drizzled with ginger syrup and topped with toasted almonds. Chilled until very very cold (I think it would have been even better with a short stay in the freezer)

Chufi, that rhubarb has the most amazing colour!!

Inspired by your enthusiasm for rhubarb, I picked up some local rhubarb from the market yesterday morning. My first rhubarb dish in 2008 was inspired Jamie Oliver's recipe for panna cotta with roasted rhubarb - though I only ended up following his recipe for panna cotta. For roasted rhubarb, I simply cut rhubarb into 5 cm chunks, sprinkled with sugar and candied ginger, covered with foil and baked at 200Celsius for 45 minutes. Very, very nice! :P

gallery_43137_2974_53561.jpg