• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: tejon - Pepper Steak and Power Tools

tejon

Thanks Kougin Aman.

andiesenji-

interesting that you mentioned the braciole with the ribeye. Normally we use top round and braise it (in the sauce) for hours until tender, but I have had some really good grilled ones at street fairs (served hot off the coals on a hero roll with peppers and onions). I have always suspected that they use ribeye in that instance and have been itching to give it a shot at home. Does it require a long braise or is it good to go once cooked through? Either way, that may be another variation for Kathy.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Today I had lunch at Buster's Beach House Grill & Longboard Bar with 24 other knitting bloggers. The hostess kept trying to figure out if this was a bachelorette party, a birthday gathering or what, exactly. She looked confused when we told her we just all love to knit. Then, after ordering, we all pulled out projects and worked on them and talked until the appetizers arrived, and the knitting came out again as people finished eating. People kept walking by the table and looking puzzled. What everyone was knitting is a bit outside the constraints of a food blog, but let's just say there were some really impressive and beautiful things being worked on.

I read through the menu and had the hardest time deciding on what to order. When there are many alluring choices I tend to go back and forth over and over. It's as if there is some ultimate dish that if I only knew I would order and be blissfully happy...and I might miss it if less than careful. There were a lot of things that caught my eye here, but I finally settled on macadamia nut crusted chicken. It came atop garlic mashed potatoes, topped with a pineapple chutney and onion strings, with "asian stir-fry vegetables". The chicken was delicious - the crisp chicken, the chutney and the onion strings formed a heady blend of sweet, tart, crisp, and savory. The mashed potatoes had a good, rich garlic flavor, unlike many garlic mashed potatoes I've had in the past. The vegetables were so-so - they were lightly steamed and then tossed with some kind of slightly sweet, gingery glaze and didn't have a lot of flavor to speak of. Not bad, but nothing to write home about. The portion was huge, so I boxed up half and took it home.

gallery_28661_3_9300.jpg

Something sweet sounded really good, so I ordered something called the Todos Santos. This consisted of a dense, rich warm brownie with chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, a "wave" of white chocolate, and billows of whipped cream topped with a sugar cookie surfer. The brownie was rich and chocolatey and the caramel sauce had a wonderful, deep almost burnt sugar flavor. The dessert was also massive - I'm so glad I decided to split it with a friend.

gallery_28661_3_78667.jpg

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

patti - Jambalaya is a great idea! I think I'll do something along those lines.

TongoRad - We have no grill as of yet, sadly. Will remedy this when we move. I haven't done Tandoori chicken in a while, and I'll take *any* excuse to make up bhel puri.

MarketStEl - You asked for it :wacko:.pictures of the refrigerator, deep freeze, pantry, and garage pantry area to follow. We've all had Pocky, though Arden is the most committed fan and demands "sticks" whenever we go to the local asian market.

Andie - I'm laughing at your younger brother wanting forbidden food! I've found that the boys will more often try something off of my plate than if it's presented separately, since of course Mommy's food is better, somehow :rolleyes: . I've never made braciola - that looks really interesting and something to try.

Chufi - So glad you enjoyed the zucchini recipe!

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

So I had some ground beef lying in the freezer, waiting to be used. I knew today's lunch and subsequent yarn crawl would go long (I didn't get back until around 4:30), so dinner needed to be something fast. Hmmm....let's start with some caramelized onions:

gallery_28661_3_25050.jpg

A bit of Worchestershire sauce, lots of salt and pepper, and a good dose of softened butter since the meat was on the lean side:

gallery_28661_3_142486.jpg

Look what else was also in the freezer, waiting to be spread with butter and toasted in a pan:

gallery_28661_3_186750.jpg

Lettuce, orange slices, red onion, and Parmesan cheese tossed with some orange champagne vinegar and olive oil go along side. Remember the In-N-Out burgers? These were even better :cool:.

gallery_28661_3_114779.jpg

Dan told me to add this shot. Happy to oblige :wink:.

gallery_28661_3_17415.jpg

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Mmmm, pork and ginger stock, Chinese sausage, some TJ's potstickers, some baby bok choy....

Oooh, now you're talking my language! Some thin sliced green onion on top....that's definitely going on the menu.

Cool that you'll be here soon.  Did you know Chufi's coming in September?

For some reason, I had you placed back East somewhere, but after a quick, embarrassed Google I see that you're right off of Seattle. That is close! Now I'm even more glad we're moving out that way. I didn't know Chufi was coming out for a visit - even better!

Kathy

A burger. With tomato. Way to make my heart sing. We are months away from having a burger with a REAL tomato.

BTW, although your groups knitting projects may have been way off base, let me know if you want some fairly rough directions for a nice linen market bag. Call it "I acutally pulled out paper and pen and made notes when a pattern went bad and I had to do something considerably different." This one is definitely made for the farmer's market, so is food related. Although, one could call my off the cuff Aran sweaters food realted because there are hings of lobsters residing in the cables!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Definitely interested in the market bag pattern. I use cloth bags at the grocery store and continually find I need just *one* more for this or that. Of course, it's always highly entertaining when the bagger has no clue whatsoever to do with the bags...my favorite instance being when one bagged all my groceries in plastic, then bagged the cloth bags separately in another plastic bag :huh:. Talk about unclear on the concept!

Lobster hinges in the cables...now that would be interesting to see as well :smile:.

Kathy

Kathy: I second snowangel's note of appreciation for reference to a book on children and eating habits. Thanks for responding to my comments. I look forward to posts...umm, later in the day.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

As requested, my refrigerator, a very large side by side (and oh, how I hate that configuration!):

gallery_28661_3_167695.jpg

Deep freezer in the garage which we got for free from my grandparents. I love having so much freezer space!

gallery_28661_3_108007.jpg

While we're at it, here's a pantry shot. Please ignore anything that resembles Chef Boyardee ravioli - it is a figment of your imagination.

gallery_28661_3_9430.jpg

And my overflow pantry space in the garage, complete with a bag of bay leaves from the tree in my aunt's back yard:

gallery_28661_3_9194.jpg

Good night!

Kathy

Now's the time on Sprockets when we dance!

Oh, wait...that's not right.

Now's the time when I cut coupons and plan the weekly menu. I don't even have to wear vinyl :wink:. I usually do a quick run down of all available foodstuffs. Oddly, I don't have to open the refrigerator or cupboard to do this - I can pretty much list everything we have, down to the age of leftovers in the refrigerator. When Dan and I were dating I could do this with his refrigerator as well, even though I didn't live there. Scary. Anyway, I do a mental check to see if there are things that need using up, ask Dan and the boys if there's anything that they would like, note if Dan needs more lunches (I freeze planned dinner leftovers for him), then figure out what sounds interesting to me that week.

I cut coupons each week, clipping anything that I might want if it was free (since occasionally items are actually free with the coupon) or if it's something I could donate. I keep a box in the garage that gets filled with canned goods, toiletries, and staples that I take to homeless shelters and use to make up bags that I keep in my trunk for when I find homeless people as I drive. My way of giving back a little bit. I use a coupon service that I love :wub: called the The Grocery Game. Basically, they list everything that's at the deepest sale level that week, along with which coupons you should use, when those coupons were released, and what the final price will be, along with the percentage saved. I go to the website, check off all the things I want for that week, then print out a list of just those things. Does almost all the work for me and I save a freakishly large amount, especially on non-food items like cleaning supplies and toiletries. Along with my menu planning, this allows me to feed my family of four on around $85 a week (including toiletries and paper goods). I usually save around 50% off my grocery bill, which is lower than many due to the fact that I don't buy a lot of processed foods. Not a lot of coupons for produce and dry goods, usually.

I usually go to my local store, Ralphs, then Trader Joes, then the nearby asian market in order to get all the groceries each week. Takes around two hours (Trader Joe's is a 20 minute drive each way), but I've got it down to a science at this point.

Off to finish up the menu and make out my shopping list.

Kathy

use to make up bags that I keep in my trunk for when I find homeless people as I drive.

Cool. We do this too! What do you put in yours?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I cut coupons each week, clipping anything that I might want if it was free (since occasionally items are actually free with the coupon) or if it's something I could donate. I keep a box in the garage that gets filled with canned goods, toiletries, and staples that I take to homeless shelters and use to make up bags that I keep in my trunk for when I find homeless people as I drive. My way of giving back a little bit. I use a coupon service that I love  :wub: called the The Grocery Game. Basically, they list everything that's at the deepest sale level that week, along with which coupons you should use, when those coupons were released, and what the final price will be, along with the percentage saved. I go to the website, check off all the things I want for that week, then print out a list of just those things. Does almost all the work for me and I save a freakishly large amount, especially on non-food items like cleaning supplies and toiletries. Along with my menu planning, this allows me to feed my family of four on around $85 a week (including toiletries and paper goods). I usually save around 50% off my grocery bill, which is lower than many due to the fact that I don't buy a lot of processed foods. Not a lot of coupons for produce and dry goods, usually.

I usually go to my local store, Ralphs, then Trader Joes, then the nearby asian market in order to get all the groceries each week. Takes around two hours (Trader Joe's is a 20 minute drive each way), but I've got it down to a science at this point.

Off to finish up the menu and make out my shopping list.

A woman after my own heart. :smile:

I'd love to take advantage of "Teri's List," as it would save a lot of time for me--I'm precisely the shopper she has in mind. I shop at two different supermarkets (three, if you count my occasional forays to Whole Foods), the Reading Terminal and Italian Markets (where the game really doesn't apply), I compare circulars to see who's offering what cheaper this week, I stockpile staples when they're on sale and I have coupons, and I usually buy the smallest size that's on sale when I have a coupon for the product.

But Teri only offers a list for ShopRite in my area. The nearest one of those is two bus rides and about 30 minutes away by bus. Yes, it takes me almost as long (20 minutes) to walk to the Acme that is one of my two stores, but at least I can route that trip via the Italian Market and kill two birds with one stone.

Maybe one of her franchisees offers lists for Acme and Super Fresh?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I try to have some kind of paper goods (toilet paper, paper napkins, tissue), food items including something with protein (canned tuna, ready serve beans and rice, foil pouches of chicken), soap or toothpaste (or both), a can opener, utensils, bottles of water (these are really needed) and anything else that might be useful, such as matches, rain ponchos, twist ties, flashlights, batteries, etc. I also add in comfort items like paperback books, decks of cards, lip balm, and lotion. These bags are perfect for when I come across someone living on the street - I just grab a bag from the trunk and know that they have more of what they're likely to need that day.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

A woman after my own heart.  :smile:

I'd love to take advantage of "Teri's List," as it would save a lot of time for me--I'm precisely the shopper she has in mind.  I shop at two different supermarkets (three, if you count my occasional forays to Whole Foods), the Reading Terminal and Italian Markets (where the game really doesn't apply), I compare circulars to see who's offering what cheaper this week, I stockpile staples when they're on sale and I have coupons, and I usually buy the smallest size that's on sale when I have a coupon for the product.

But Teri only offers a list for ShopRite in my area.  The nearest one of those is two bus rides and about 30 minutes away by bus.  Yes, it takes me almost as long (20 minutes) to walk to the Acme that is one of my two stores, but at least I can route that trip via the Italian Market and kill two birds with one stone.

Maybe one of her franchisees offers lists for Acme and Super Fresh?

I'd keep on checking regularly. Each area is run by a franchisee, and what's offered depends on the markets available in that area and how much the chains are willing to work with The Grocery Game (notice of sales in advance of publication or advertising is needed to make the lists work properly). There's also a forum on the site - you could request that Acme and/or Superfresh be added. I thought of running a franchise in Portland when we moved, but that spot has already been taken :hmmm:. Pssst....if you ever do decide to give it a whirl, I get 3 extra months of service for free for every 3 referrals (and that would be kmayersATgmailDOTcom, thank you very much :wink:).

Kathy

I try to have some kind of paper goods (toilet paper, paper napkins, tissue), food items including something with protein (canned tuna, ready serve beans and rice, foil pouches of chicken), soap or toothpaste (or both), a can opener, utensils, bottles of water (these are really needed) and anything else that might be useful, such as matches, rain ponchos, twist ties, flashlights, batteries, etc. I also add in comfort items like paperback books, decks of cards, lip balm, and lotion. These bags are perfect for when I come across someone living on the street - I just grab a bag from the trunk and know that they have more of what they're likely to need that day.

Thank you for this great idea. I've always put items into the collection boxes in grocery stores but I really like this idea. Think I'll pass it along to my collegues.

Enjoying your blog. :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Just got back from picking Arden up and the full round of grocery shopping. Arden "helped" at Trader Joe's and the asian market, hence the following special treat:

gallery_28661_3_9447.jpg

The label simply says, "Chocolate". They have white and dark chocolate with a hazelnut flavor on a pretzel stick - a sort of Pocky-esque thing in the shape of a mushroom. These were dispatched with great speed. I'm eating leftovers from yesterday's lunch. Very good, but almost worth an entry in the Gallery of Regrettable Foods :blink:.

gallery_28661_3_130830.jpg

Kathy

i'm a little late to the blog, but with the chinese sausage and/or ham with all that rice...i had to suggest:

make rice as a side dish one day (a little extra) and then use the leftovers to make fried rice. that's one of my favorite clean out the fridge dishes...probably something the kids might like, as well.

i really like your "helpful brown bag" idea. this is a great blog and what a nice family!

I've been using the Chinese sausage in fried rice and steamed dishes, little bit by little bit (it's so rich!). It's never a bad time for fried rice - good idea :smile:.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I love the brown bag idea too!

Please put some containers full of water to freeze up in your freezer or you're going to fritter away all your Grocery Game savings on running that thing! Sorry, I'm a child of a child of the Depression. This is deeply ingrained.

Speaking of the Grocery Game, I'm glad to see that someone who doesn't buy much processed foods still finds this a worthy endeavor. I just signed up for my trial membership. My husband used to be in the Navy, and up until about a year ago we still had commissary priveleges. Not anymore! Grocery store prices are painful still!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Ryan asked for dumplings, rice, and broccoli tonight. I'm in the middle of painting and wood repair, so quick and easy is perfect. The rice cooker (Dan's, actually) sees a lot of use. Love the fuzzy logic feature - appeals to the technology geek in me. By the way, does anyone know where I can get a new inner bowl? This one's getting pretty worn.

gallery_28661_3_50394.jpg

Kathy

Please put some containers full of water to freeze up in your freezer or you're going to fritter away all your Grocery Game savings on running that thing!  Sorry, I'm a child of a child of the Depression.  This is deeply ingrained.

I know - I really do try to keep it filled up, but we've been so busy lately that it's getting far too empty. Thanks for the reminder.

Speaking of the Grocery Game, I'm glad to see that someone who doesn't buy much processed foods still finds this a worthy endeavor.  I just signed up for my trial membership.  My husband used to be in the Navy, and up until about a year ago we still had commissary priveleges.  Not anymore!  Grocery store prices are painful still!

I've been happily surprised at how much I save, even though I don't buy a lot of convenience food. I've also stopped going to Target and other stores for toiletries, paper goods, cleaning products, and health items since with the coupons (at the right time) they end up much cheaper at the grocery store. That alone is a huge savings, which frees up more money for the foods we really enjoy that would normally be out of our price range.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Dumplings, sticky rice, stir-fried broccoli, and a soy-ginger dipping sauce:

gallery_28661_3_123338.jpg

I'm currently having a cup of rooibos tea with a bit of brown sugar while I help Dan lay down backerboard.

Kathy

Some explanations, please!

1. I've been hearing about fuzzy logic for years, but still can't work out what it has to do with rice cookers. What is the feature, how does it work, and what results does it give you?

2. What is the Grocery Game?

I too love your grocery bag idea. That's charity where it counts.

For some strange reason I had you placed up near Valencia. It finally dawned on me that Diamond Bar is a long way from there, in more ways than one. Strange that it's taken me so long. Congratulations on the impending move!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown