• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: tejon - Pepper Steak and Power Tools

tejon

Rolled out the chapatis, cooked them in a large skillet, brushed with butter, then stacked in a cloth to keep warm:

gallery_28661_3_38683.jpg

For dinner itself, I started some cauliflower by heating mustard seeds and coriander in some hot oil, then adding fresh ginger. Turmeric and some cayenne followed closely, then in went the cauliflower. A few minutes later I added salt, then turned down the heat and covered the pan. Twenty minutes later the cauliflower was tender and infused with flavor. Then I chopped onions and cooked them in hot oil until just crisp-tender. Added beaten eggs mixed with salt, then stirred it all together quickly as the eggs set up. Onto a plate, then a sprinkle of roasted ground cumin, red chile, and cilantro.

I'm full :biggrin:.

gallery_28661_3_56523.jpg

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I love tea in all forms, from chamomile to Darjeeling to genmae. One of my most favorite cups of tea is warmed with spices and mellowed with milk and a little bit of sugar. For my final food post, nothing could be more appropriate than the purest comfort food I know.

Masala Chai

serves 4

1 small cinnamon stick

6 cardamom pods

(or 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom)

4 cloves

6 peppercorns

3 cups water

1/4 cup sugar

1 cup milk

3 heaping teaspoons loose tea or 4 tea bags (orange pekoe)

Place spices and tea leaves (if using) in a tea ball or tie in cheesecloth so you can remove them later. Place water and spices in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Add sugar, milk and tea leaves or bags, bring to a simmer, turn off heat and cover again. Let mixture sit for 2 - 3 minutes to allow tea to steep. Strain and serve.

It's a wonder that a few twigs, leaves, and flower buds can scent the whole house and bring such flavor to a simple cup of tea.

gallery_28661_3_139021.jpg

Tonight I made enough for Dan and me to share :smile:.

gallery_28661_3_171727.jpg

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for letting us into your home - it's been a pleasure to read your blog. I particularly enjoyed reading about your inherited recipe cards and cookbook* and, being a mom of two kids, your experiences with getting your kids to eat. I admire your ability to blog just before you're about to move and also agree with all those that said you are pretty.

Suman

*I must admit, they did make me envious too, because my grandmother never wrote recipes down - I grieve for all those recipes that never got passed on from her.

Thank you, everyone! I have had such an incredible experience this week. There's something about food that touches something deep inside, isn't there? I feel as if I've opened up my kitchen and my family and been warmly received.

Kathy

I used one of my absolute favorite kitchen tools to core the apple. I got this from my Grandma's kitchen and couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was for at first. I finally admitted that I had no clue, and was told it was used for coring apples and other hard fruit. Gave it a try and I was in love. It's very sharp at the edges and does a quick job of cutting through just about any piece of produce I use it on. I use it almost every day and marvel at how well it works every single time.

gallery_28661_3_166090.jpg

I have that same gizmo! Mom and Dad found it and gave it to me as a stocking stuffer - it was the triumph of the season for them to find one for me, after they watched me struggling to pit the best peaches of the summer. I never thought to try it on apples. I always use it to pit cling peaches and nectarines, and my parents called it a peach pitter. I like it on the clings because I can work it right in and around the pit without struggling to split the peach first.

Roasted cumin that will be used later tonight:

gallery_28661_3_52077.jpg

I love the flavor of cumin once it's been roasted and ground. It gets a smoky, earthy taste that goes well with all kinds of things.

I used a coffee grinder that is used exclusively for spices. I usually toss in some oats or breadcrumbs and whir for a few moments to clean it out afterwards.

gallery_28661_3_129534.jpg

Chapati dough resting:

gallery_28661_3_119771.jpg

Details, details! I toast cumin atop the stove. Do you roast it in the oven? For how long, and at what temperature?

Finally: did you give a recipe for the chapati dough upthread, that I missed because I'm hurrying before your blog ends? If not, is that something you can share?

No, this is finally: I'm wiping drool off my computer screen after looking at those cookies. I'll have to try those, complete with the technique tips. They just *might* be better than mine... :wub:

No, THIS is finally (unless I post again :wink: ): as with everyone else, I'm so glad you put your own face to the blog (you beautiful woman you), and I'm so glad you blogged this week! Thank you! It's been a wonderful blog.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Haven't had a chance to try that on peaches, but I bet that's exactly what my Grandparents used it for most, since they had quite an abundance of peaches every summer. Have to give it a try next peach season.

I roast cumin on the stove as well. Medium heat and a heavy pan until they smell fragrant and turn color.

Chapati:

2 cups atta or chapati flour (or 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour mixed with 1 cup AP or cake flour)

1 teaspoon salt

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil

about 3/4 cup warm water (enough for a kneadable dough)

Mix all ingredients, then knead until smooth. Cover and let rest for at least an hour or so to let the gluten relax. Divide into 10-12 balls, roll flat (dust with more flour to avoid sticking), then bake one at a time over medium heat in a heavy pan. Brush with butter and serve.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

I'm off to yoga class, so this will be my last contribution to the blog. I feel as if I've had a huge party overflowing with goodwill and great conversation. Thanks to everyone - my kitchen will always be open to you :wub:.

Kathy