• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

......so does anyone have a good lead on Morels as they come into season - preferably somewhere other than the usual suspects like Granville Island and the specialty grocery stores - I'd have no problem knocking out a middle man or two and pick them up on a corner somewhere down East Hastings way.

......so does anyone have a good lead on Morels as they come into season - preferably somewhere other than the usual suspects like Granville Island and the specialty grocery stores - I'd have no problem knocking out a middle man or two and pick them up on a corner somewhere down East Hastings way.

I experienced some loose morels just last night, Paul, and will try to track down their source for you.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Yup, find your own good spot!

We still have at least a month before they start sprouting here - but it's certainly time to use up the comfort stash in the freezer.

Edited by SMW (log)

I remember back when we had the fires in the Okaganan there were so many Morels around and they were so cheap. No fires this year=expensive morels :sad:

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

We're having the same probelm with our morels as well, really wet summertime and very few forest fires. My morel supplier is telling he may be able to get some from one small fire but he also said not to hold my breath.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

How does the local egullet community plan to prepare their morels? I love the way Parkside prepared a morel mushroom dish last spring -a beautifully sauteed mix of morels and . . . dunno, maybe only morels, and, guessing again, with finely diced onion/garlic/truffle oil - again, totally guessing. Any tips on a home preparation that approximates Parkside's? Or other recipes?

Clearly my morels aren't that fixed :raz:

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

-a beautifully sauteed mix of morels and . . . dunno, maybe only morels, and, guessing again, with finely diced onion/garlic/truffle oil - again, totally guessing.  Any tips on a home preparation that approximates Parkside's?  Or other recipes?

Clearly my morels aren't that fixed  :raz:

You nailed it already. I like to cut them quite small and then sautee them in butter with some finely chopped shallots and salt and pepper. Sometime I add some garlic and/or finish them with chopped parsley. They are also brilliant with a bit of bacon or shredded Serrano ham.

My old dad has been collecting these somewhere near Mount Baker for years - and always seems to have a freezer full. He's promised to show me where this is. Like Jamie, he also loves nothing more than a bad pun, and has for years been referring to this location as "the morel high ground".

I remember back when we had the fires in the Okaganan there were so many Morels around and they were so cheap. No fires this year=expensive morels :sad:

Stephen

Truly, a tragedy.

I love morels as much as the next person - but as someone who lost their home in the OK Mountain Park fire I'd rather have had my house than the morels that could be found on the property afterward -- at any price. Just to put the 'tragedy' in perspective!!

have yet to meet a lemon tart I didn't like!

Stephen

Truly, a tragedy.

I love morels as much as the next person - but as someone who lost their home in the OK Mountain Park fire I'd rather have had my house than the morels that could be found on the property afterward -- at any price. Just to put the 'tragedy' in perspective!!

Hello Lemontart,

Sorry to hear about your house, that is a very real tragedy.

I can't speak for Stephen, but in regards to my above quoted post, it might be more appropriate if you turn your sarcasm meter up before reading.

Hope you have been able to rebuild.

Stephen

Truly, a tragedy.

Hello Lemontart,

Sorry to hear about your house, that is a very real tragedy.

I can't speak for Stephen, but in regards to my above quoted post, it might be more appropriate if you turn your sarcasm meter up before reading.

Hope you have been able to rebuild.

same as above...the fire thing was just an observation. Of course no one would wish a fire just for the sake of cheaper morels, In regards to cooking them we usually sautee them with some whole cream and a pinch of pepper and salt.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Ok folks, this is Vancouver - I could have got surefire leads on kilo's of coke and opportunities to buy 2006 Ferrari's at 90% off by now.

I understand, some secrets are worth keeping.

I am willing to put on my hiking boots (can bring beer) to search out the ellusive morel.

P.S. - I'd be willing to share my autumn chantrelle and cauliflower shroom hunting grounds (beer provided) for an opportunity this spring.

Ok folks, this is Vancouver - I could have got surefire leads on kilo's of coke and opportunities to buy 2006 Ferrari's at 90% off by now.

I understand, some secrets are worth keeping.

I am willing to put on my hiking boots (can bring beer) to search out the ellusive morel.

P.S. - I'd be willing to share my autumn chantrelle and cauliflower shroom hunting grounds (beer provided) for an opportunity this spring.

for guaranteed mushrooms....

Go to lamb creek (...and follow the 100's of pickers with bags over there shoulders), it is 20 or so KM sw of Cranbrook. Wait a few more weeks. If you want to pick today you will need to go south of Portland.

Chef/Owner/Teacher