• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CNN.com Runs Vancouver Story

kurtisk

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/DESTINATION...r.ap/index.html

With half its population foreign-born, Vancouver is one of the most ethnically mixed cities in North America, and it shows in the local restaurant scene. Small family eateries and cafes owned by immigrants abound, and it's hard to come up with an international dish that's not on a menu somewhere

k

Edited by kurtisk (log)

And I have never used, heard, or experienced the term Pineapple Express.

Really? We experienced a major Pineapple Express over Christmas: Warm moist air; rain, but balmy and definitely close and clammy feeling. Like New York City in August.

We shall hope it doesn't show up in February, 2010.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Thanks for the link Kurtis, I would go beyond the "not bad" and say it is quite flattering for the city.

As for the pineapple express, if you watch Global news with any regularity eventually you will hear either Wayne Cox or Zach Spencer will use it. Except like Jamie said, to me it means rain and a lot of it (the story seemed to imply a pineapple express was just a nice warm breeze).

Thanks Kurtis. Not so bad, although I didn't realize Arbutus Street was downtown. And does Urban Fare really still sell that silly bread?

I keep seeing the Pouline bread at UF but I'm sure that they have the dough flown in and the bake it. Maybe Barolo can fill us in on that?

CNN press is not a bad thing. I guess they are the first off the block now the Olympic focus is on us.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

A bit of a tangent, but Rachel Ray's Tasty travels featured vancouver yesterday.

They hit Feenie's, Vij's, sun sui wah, the alibi room, the cannery, and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Some of the features were decent, though some (like the cannery) didn't really feel like they conveyed the essence of the restaurant very well.

But, whatever. It's a tourism show.

Really? We experienced a major Pineapple Express over Christmas: Warm moist air; rain, but balmy and definitely close and clammy feeling. Like New York City in August.

Sorry, meant the term, not the phenomena :smile:

As for the pineapple express, if you watch Global news with any regularity eventually you will hear either Wayne Cox or Zach Spencer will use it.

Ah, that would explain. I have never heard, used or experienced Global Television News :wink:

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

And does Urban Fare really still sell that silly bread?

I keep seeing the Pouline bread at UF but I'm sure that they have the dough flown in and the bake it.

If you order Poilâne's 2kg decorated loaf - with the option of a free personal message - directly from Paris, it will cost you CDN$ 53.00 (including taxes and shipping).

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

And does Urban Fare really still sell that silly bread?

I keep seeing the Pouline bread at UF but I'm sure that they have the dough flown in and the bake it.

If you order Poilâne's 2kg decorated loaf - with the option of a free personal message - directly from Paris, it will cost you CDN$ 53.00 (including taxes and shipping).

Memo

Man, I can't believe they focussed on that bread. That is so old news.

I'll deliver a loaf of Wild Fire bread next time I'm on the mainland. For free.

Edited by shelora (log)