• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The old school Balti House

In the ever increasing world of contemporary dining, are there any 'old school' Balti houses left in the Pakistani/India culinary domain ?

Especially in the famous/infamous ? 'Balti Triangle' in Birmingham.

Planning a visit soon and would like to sample the same delights of previous visits.

Restaurant magazine visited the Balti triangle a couple of weeks back and seemed to find it rude health, eating 21 meals at an average of under £7.50. It's going to depend on quite what you mean by old school but Adil's at 148 Stoney Lane sems to fit the bill with flock wall paper and a menu under the glass tabletop. Food maybe not the best though - the honours there going to Zeb's at 250 Ladypool Road which appears to be "sleek and new" following renovation after the infamous tornado last year.

Never been myself - we do quite nicely for curries one way or another here in Leicester as it goes.

I was at university for four years in Birmingham and lived in and around the different areas. There are/were several really good places ranging from quite expensive to really cheap. In town we used to go to Shimila Pinks (chain) or Ragards to Broad Street (on Broad street). In Ladywood we just used to go into one that looked good as there are so many, half the fun is taking the chance and at such good prices no real risk. When ever i go back we ask the taxi driver for advice and usually get some great tips and even an invite to a friends place. Also if you venture up North i love the curry mile back home in manchester.

Have fun

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

There arent many traditional or 'old school' Balti houses left anymore.

My criteria for that description would be unlicensed/byo, glass topped tables and cutlery an option!

The seasoned balti eater would use nan or chapati to eat the balti rather than cutlery.

Sheereen Kadah is situated at 543 Moseley Road, Balsall Heath, Birmingham and is very much 'old school' . It has a listing at www.birminghamplus.com, an excellent site for Midlands foodies.

shimla pinks certainly isn't old school balti, being (if you haven't aready experienced them) a rather upmarket chain offering indian 'cuisine'

a few years ago when i was eating them 2 or 3 times a week, the best balti by a mile was from the royal naweed, naans the size of the table, picture of lord lichfield on the wall and dirt cheap baltis, what more could you want

shimla pinks certainly isn't old school balti, being (if you haven't aready experienced them) a rather upmarket chain offering indian 'cuisine'

a few years ago when i was eating them 2 or 3 times a week, the best balti by a mile was from the royal naweed, naans the size of the table, picture of lord lichfield on the wall and dirt cheap baltis, what more could you want

Agree about Shimla's, never has been and never will be a Balti house.

Royal Naweed I always thought was OK but I once had a bad experience there with stringy,overcooked chicken. Its now an Italian restaurant called Ponte Di Legno.

Edited by Johnsonic (log)