• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What next?

aswag74

My fiance and I are relatively new to the wine world. Really only been doing it, with a consciousness, for the past year. We've moved from merlots to pinots to malbecs and now are oddly stuck at gruners. We dont have a ton of money, so we're going with a wide undertanding of the lower end. We've been buying out, instead of up.

Kind of in that place where our non wines friends think we are wine snobs, but our few friends who know wines (who work in the wine business) find us charmingly retarded.

How do I educate myself? I find myself being at a point where I'm not exactly sure what I'm tasting, and would love....maybe.....a book or something. It feels like I really need to drink a bunch of wines with someone who can talk me through them.....but that's not available. So how can I do that for myself? Or CAN I do that for myself.

Thanks.

My fiance and I are relatively new to the wine world. Really only been doing it, with a consciousness, for the past year. We've moved from merlots to pinots to malbecs and now are oddly stuck at gruners. We dont have a ton of money, so we're going with a wide undertanding of the lower end. We've been buying out, instead of up.

Kind of in that place where our non wines friends think we are wine snobs, but our few friends who know wines (who work in the wine business) find us charmingly retarded.

How do I educate myself? I find myself being at a point where I'm not exactly sure what I'm tasting, and would love....maybe.....a book or something. It feels like I really need to drink a bunch of wines with someone who can talk me through them.....but that's not available. So how can I do that for myself? Or CAN I do that for myself.

Thanks.

There is no "right way" to learn more.

But in your case, I would establish a relationship with Chambers Street Wines (on Chambers Street) and talk to Jamie Wolfe and David Lille, proprietors there. These guys are perhaps as good a source as you will ever find and the fact that they share the island with you is a good thing.

There are also lots of reading materials, tastings to attend, reviews to read and on-line forums to sort through - but a good, honest retailer, that can discern both your tastes and your price point, is worth his weight in gold. You have two, at your disposal.

212-227-1434

Tell them Jim Cowan sent you. Although I have no affiliation or financial interest in the store, I am a good customer.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Fellow retard here.

Buying out instead of up is always a good plan. What I have found is that I can buy something that someone really likes, and then riff off of my impression of that with one of two really good wine guys I'm familiar with.

Example: when I got a big military promotion, I went and bought myself a very good bottle of bubbly, for my budget, anyway--Bellefon. It was quite delightful. Then, I took that experience of going to the wine guy and saying, "I have $50 and I want to celebrate with champagne," and turned it into "I tried Bellefon, and loved it. I like the crisp yeastiness of it, but do you have something that's more in my regular price point?" I got introduced to wonders of cava, prosecco, and sekt.

But, I like to look at each glass as a present, lovingly wrapped by some benevolent vintner, just itching to surprise me. And, oftentimes, I'm delighted.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

If you're looking for a book, in my opinion Jancis Robinson's How to Taste is a great start. Another good one is Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course. Books are great references and full of information, but tasting is of course the most important part of learning.

I agree that tasting "a bunch of wines" is the way to go -- that is, tasting a bunch of wines at the same time -- comparing, contrasting, looking for similarities. Tasting as part of a group is also good, I've found that either leading a group of novices, or tasting with people at roughly the same level really helps with learning. Of course if you could get one of your wine-knowledgeable friends to lead the occasional tasting, it will be even more educational. I've also found that taking notes has helped, by forcing me to think and write as much as possible about what I'm smelling and tasting.

By the way, I think Gruner is a marvelous place to be "stuck"!

Thanks.

Hi There,

I think it's safe to say that we're all still learning. That's what makes the subject of wine so appealing to me - I'm always finding something new in the glass. In learning, there really is no substitute for tasting wine - LOTS of it. And as many different kinds as you can come in contact with. One of the best things I did when first starting out was join my local wine tasting club. The Tasters Guild has chapters scattered around the US. Also localwineevents.com lists tastings happening in areas all over the country. These events are great because you'll get to taste a lot of different wines that you might not come in contact with otherwise.

As for books, I think when you find a writer who 'speaks to you' you'll know it and it will greatly enhance your learning. Jancis Robinson is a great writer - "How to Taste" is great as is "The Oxford Companion to Wine", basically THE encyclopedia of wine. You also might enjoy the conversational tone of "The Wall Street Journal Guide to Wine".

Whatever you do, have fun and taste, taste, taste!

Cheers,

JEM

Cheers,

JEM

Thanks.

I wouldn't argue with any of the recommendations.

I would engage a number of local wine merchants.

They all vary in their willingness to help--but each has their own view and agenda.

Go when they are not busy.

I would also get a good basic book.

Karen MacNeill's --"Wine Bible" is IMOP one of the best. It is the most comprehensive and easy to read--she also presents wine in an unbiased manner.

The Dummies Guide to Wine by Mary Ewing Mulligan and Ed McCarthy is also very good.

Mary runs the International Wine Center here in New York and is a first rate wine educator.

also

She and Ed (her husband and a wine expert in his own right) just wrote a wonderful book called "Wine Style--using your senses to explore and enjoy wine" which deals with wines of the world from a flavor profile perspective. It is an incredibly good read.

I would try Wine Style and One of the other books--Dummies or the Bible.

There are a lot of tasting groups and tastings held in New York--you should look into them.

Best are in store tastings--most wine shops hold them--they are free and you get a lot of knowledge and taste wine!