• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mongolian Beef

KARENR65

Hi

My boyfried absolutely loves the mongolian beef from PF Changs and I wanted to try and make it for him. I was wondering if anyone had a recipe (not necessarily from PF Changs) for it. Even if someone had a recipe for the marinade, that would be great.

Thanks

Karen

There are many "top secret recipe" sites out there. I have made their lettuce wraps from a recipe from this site and found them pretty close to PF Changs. My wife loves them, however I have found that there are a ton of better ways to prepare lettuce wraps. Try this one:

http://www.recipezaar.com/66121

Read through the reviews and see what other tips people have.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

Don't mean to get off subject, but we visited PF Changs when they first opened and never went back because the waiter would not bring us salt to the table. Claimed they didn't use salt in the restaurant and offered to bring us Soy sauce instead.

Is this a fact or did we get a lazy waiter?

Don't mean to get off subject, but we visited PF Changs when they first opened and never went back because the waiter would not bring us salt to the table. Claimed they didn't use salt in the restaurant and offered to bring us Soy sauce instead.

Is this a fact or did we get a lazy waiter?

I'd say you got a lazy (or ignorant) waiter. If you get the fried calamari one of the condiments is a salt and pepper mix.

In partial defense of the waiter, I think I've heard about soy being the chinese salt every time I've gone to PF Changs, so it may be part of their schtick that gets drummed into the waiters' heads.

Hi

My boyfried absolutely loves the mongolian beef from PF Changs and I wanted to try and make it for him. I was wondering if anyone had a recipe (not necessarily from PF Changs) for it.  Even if someone had a recipe for the marinade, that would be great.

Thanks

Karen

Karen,

I don't have a recipe, but FWIW Barbara Tropp helped develop P.F. Chang's menu, so there's a good chance that you might find a good approximation in one of her cookbooks.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh