• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jean-Georges Vongerichten's Market

cigalechanta

I can't remember where I read it but that JPV opened a restaurant in Paris named "Market" or is this old news?

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

Old news.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I can't remember where I read it but that JPV opened a restaurant in Paris named "Market" or is this old news?

Well, I wouldn't swear to it, but maybe Market's been doing some marketing (sorry) because today, Felice carrier-pigeoned me Tuesday's A Nous Paris that announced in a side-bar that it now serves 18 {very American sounding} cocktails with accompaniments (oysters, pecorino, grilled wantons) for 15 E from 6-8 PM.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Well, I wouldn't swear to it, but maybe Market's been doing some marketing (sorry) because today, Felice carrier-pigeoned me Tuesday's A Nous Paris that announced in a side-bar that it now serves 18 {very American sounding} cocktails with accompaniments (oysters, pecorino, grilled wantons) for 15 E from 6-8 PM.

I believe that Market opened in 2001 and is co-owned by film director Luc Bresson. It's as sleek as its jeunesse dorée patrons and every bit as tribal. The restaurant adjoins Christie's but is no antique: there's a pretty courtyard and the quietest table, down a few stairs looks into it and is suitable for a group of half a dozen. The main room, a see-and-be scene, was so noisy I found it difficult to think in French.

If the attractive service staff were any example, then perhaps 'grilled wantons' were more than an empty fantasy.

Less fantastic was the lunch, which we ate with J-G himself. It was a fused menu of French seafood but with polite if less than memorable (mainly) Asian influences. The presentation was artful on a series of rectangular white platters: that sharing thing. Chicken satay, prawn brochette, tuna roll, crab, lobster and daikon. The platter was presented with four dipping sauces which were expertly made. Overall though, the little fusion house at the end of my street here does it rather better for less than half the price. But the cashmered crowd didn't seem to mind, or notice.

I do remember the wine: Chateau Yvonne, '00. The kitchens are absolutely beautiful, if acres of glstening stainless steel and advanced technologies does it for you. I know it makes me feel rather wanton.

The antidote for this harmless meal arrived the next day in the form of pigeon at Michel Rostang. Bloody good.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

The Market is actually housed in what was formely a Christie's showroom/warehouse, and was designed by Liaigre.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

The main room, a see-and-be scene, was so noisy I found it difficult to think in French.

:laugh: Thank you for that -

Given the fusion menu I was forced to order in Esperanto.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"