• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert with Caramel

Caroline923

Ok folks - forget the peanut butter - need an original, decadent caramel dessert for birthday that does not have to be refrigerated. Milk chocolate OK - not dark and needing a "show stopper" type as this will be the "present". Thanks :wub:

I've made the Caramel-Pistachio Torte with Halvah and Dark Chocolate on Epicurious many times, and it is pretty impressive, looks great, tastes fantastic, travels really well and can cope without refrigeration. I like it for functions as it doesn't fall to pieces and look a mess when you serve it and it will serve many people as a small slice is enough!

If the person doesn't like Dark Chocolate, just replace the topping with milk chocolate.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/109593

Caroline, I think Jackal means a baked custard tart. In fact, I was going to recommend a caramel custard tart, but you specified that you want something that doesn't need refrigeration. A custard tart I think would be fine without refrigeration for several hours at least, but I don't know how long I'd push it.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Thanks - may not be a real good solution giving the nature of caramel - not wanting to end up with hard candy or food poisoning...wish there was a layer cake or jaconde or something that could have caramel nestled inbetween that did not end up being a grainy glob of brown sugar - either as a filling or icing....

Thanks - may not be a real good solution giving the nature of caramel - not wanting to end up with hard candy or food poisoning...wish there was a layer cake or jaconde or something that could have caramel nestled inbetween that did not end up being a grainy glob of brown sugar - either as a filling or icing....

Have you ever had or made a Southern Caramel layer cake? I've made Bill Neal's recipe from "Bill Neal's Southern Cooking" and I think it it very good. The smooth caramel icing can be a little tricky to make but as far as I recall it was glossy and not grainy at all. The nice thing about this particular caramel cake is that the cake layers (3) have ground pecans in them. The slight astringency of the roasted pecans is a good foil for the caramel frosting and filling. I think the cake would hold up relatively well with out refrigeration as long as it wasn't very hot out. (I'm not sure how the icing would hold up.) Whipped cream (lightly sweetened) is a nice touch with this dessert though if there is a way to swing that.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Now that sounds awesome - is recipe available online - or do I buy the book - being slilghtly obsessive - and I am sure I am the only one - another cookbook would not even be noticed amongst my 200+ collection!!!

Now that sounds awesome - is recipe available online - or do I buy the book - being slilghtly obsessive - and I am sure I am the only one - another cookbook would not even be noticed amongst my 200+ collection!!!

I did find a copy of the recipe online! Here is a link.

This cookbook as well as his cookbook, "Biscuits, Spoonbread and Sweet Potato Pie" are both very good cookbooks. The former is a general Southern cookbook rather than one just focusing on baking. They are two of my very favorite cookbooks and I have cooked and baked a lot from both with no disappointments.

^This isn't the same recipe, but it sound similar. Very impressive too, with all the layers. It's been on my "to-do" list for a long time! Thankful Butterscotch cake

Oh, Ling! I just ran across that recipe recently and was actually thinking about starting a whole thread on it to find out if anyone had made it and because it looks so spectacular! (The icing looks similar to the cake I mention above athough it uses a blend of brown and white sugar rather than all brown as Neal's recipe has). It's hard to pry me away from Neal's recipe though as I like the pecan cake layers and the icing comes out very well if you are careful to follow the instructions.

Please let us know, Caroline923, what you end up trying and how it comes out.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

^Thanks for the link to Bill Neal's cake! I love pecan cakes...I made one last week! There's rum in the Thankful Butterscotch cake--wouldn't the pecan cake be extra good with some rum? There's rum in the caramel too...mmm! :wink:

Wish I had an excuse to make the Thankful Butterscotch cake... :smile:

^Thanks for the link to Bill Neal's cake! I love pecan cakes...I made one last week! There's rum in the Thankful Butterscotch cake--wouldn't the pecan cake be extra good with some rum? There's rum in the caramel too...mmm!  :wink:

Wish I had an excuse to make the Thankful Butterscotch cake... :smile:

C'est possible regarding the rum, and thanks for pointing out the other key difference between the recipes.

However, this could be a potential difference that one may want to keep. The "Thankful Butterscotch Cake" is just that, butterscotch; and Neal's cake is caramel.

Personally, I haven't fiddled enough with different caramel icings to know how adding liquid or alcohol would affect the caramel icing. I followed his instructions to the letter to get the proper spreading consistency and to avoid any crystallization or graniness in the icing. (I'm not saying it can not be done though. :smile: )

edited to add: One *would* need a pretty big crowd (or a very hungary Ling) to put a dent in that Thankful Butterscotch Cake. That's partly why I was wondering if anyone else had had success with it before I try it myself.

Edited by ludja (log)

Ok folks - forget the peanut butter - need an original, decadent caramel dessert for birthday that does not have to be refrigerated.  Milk chocolate OK - not dark and needing a "show stopper" type as this will be the "present".  Thanks  :wub:

I don't know whether it would need refrigeration, but I've been meaning to attempt a Dobos torte for a while......... lots of caramel there!

Ok folks - forget the peanut butter - need an original, decadent caramel dessert for birthday that does not have to be refrigerated.  Milk chocolate OK - not dark and needing a "show stopper" type as this will be the "present".  Thanks  :wub:

I don't know whether it would need refrigeration, but I've been meaning to attempt a Dobos torte for a while......... lots of caramel there!

The Triple Caramel Cake from Fine Cooking is very good. It's got a sauce with whipped cream in it, though, so may need refrigeration.

http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Schnit...ramel_Cake.html

There's also a very good Caramel Cake on the Penzey's site.

The Triple Caramel Cake from Fine Cooking is very good. It's got a sauce with whipped cream in it, though, so may need refrigeration.

http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Schnit...ramel_Cake.html

There's also a very good Caramel Cake on the Penzey's site.

The Penzey's cake recipe is posted here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=58887

You all are great - printed out Bill's and the awesome looking Thankful - knew about the Penzy's - but it seemed sorta "normal" - needless to say you know how I will be spending my weekend..........and following that up with 10 hours on the stepmill after I taste the results...will keep you posted...can you email and do cardio at the same time????

Thread on Dobos Torte

Great caramel/dark chocolate dessert.

(I think it could handle some time w/o refrigeration--depending of course, on time and temp. The frosting has a lot of butte in it so as long as the frosting wasn't getting to soft).

You all are great - printed out Bill's and the awesome looking  Thankful - knew about the Penzy's - but it seemed sorta "normal" - needless to say you know how I will be spending my weekend..........and following that up with 10 hours on the stepmill after I taste the results...will keep you posted...can you email and do cardio at the same time????

I await your pictures eagerly! :smile: