• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

stuck beside the table from hell

Izabel_blue

Elizabeth, I'm really sorry you were dissapointed with the other diners at the pub. I wish I had an answer for you on how to deal with the problem. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect you not to be bothered by other pub goers and there is nothing worse than incredibly wasted and loud (and often offensive) diners in the vicinity.

I don't think the 'hey - it's a PUB! It's made for bad behaviour' argument washes either. When did society disintergrate so much that we have to accept being marginalised and have our enjoyment of food/drink/a gig/a walk in the park lessened simply because every one else feels entitled to act badly? It's one of the things that really upsets me about modern living.

A wowser I'm not - i'm as happy as the next person to have a discussion about - Hell, I don't know - what can I put here to make me look riske and with it ? - but I like to think I'd have some consideration for the tables nearby and maybe not scream about it if there are young kiddies/ older folk about...

Maybe I would have have asked to have a quiet word with the manager in your case and clarified with them why you were leaving and that you didn't think that your food £ would be spent there again.

Indulging in tut-tutting or approaching the offending party is now not something I'll do - I WANT to - desperately - but I had the misfortune of witnessing some poor bastard getting glassed after asking a neighbouring table to stop hassling a waitress.

In Australia over Christmas I had to endure similar - we'd popped into the Little Malaysia off Bourke Street quite late for dinner and it was busy with office parties. One of the parties was a group of about 15 blokes, techie/engie types from the look of them whom I suspect were employed with a major communications company around the corner. They had a lone woman companion who looked absolutely miserable and was mostly ignored by them - she left shortly after we arrived and we have never seen someone look so happy to be escaping a work event.

At this stage the restaurant was emptying out - so the conversation the party table was having became more audible. And I was appalled. Embarrased to be an Australian - fuck. Embarrassed to be human. They spent the night talking about the 'cleavages' in Human Resources and what bitches/slags/frigid cows they were. Absolutely sledging their female colleague who had just left - random racial slurs - how another (absent) colleague was probably a 'poofter' because he wouldn't go to the lap dancing club with them. All of this was conducted at top volume in a restaurant with about half a dozen tables of couples still there. I repeat it in more detail than I'd like because I want the thread to see how isolating and distressing it is to hear those kinds of attitudes broadcast with nary a thought for how it might feel for any women/gay persons/non anglo celtic australians to overhear this kind of crap while trying to eat a meal.

I was so angry I almost broke my non-confrontation rule - but I was persuaded otherwise. I wish that I'd been able to confirm the company they'd worked for then I would have written a letter to HR explaining how they behaved and how offensive I (a shareholder if it was the boys from the suspected company) I found them. I figured it was a company paid christmas outing and they should be more careful about their adherence to corporate discrimination policy.

Damn it - i'm still angry about that!

I hope further dinner's aren't ruined. Let's take back our restaurants and be PLEASANT!