• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chilaquiles

Today's NYTimes article by Lawson on comfort foods got me thinking about our family's latest: chilaquiles. Thanks to Rick Bayless' "Mexican Kitchen," we have discovered the joy of turning pureed tomato & tortilla chips into homey, Mexican comfort food. My 14-yr-old likes to add fresh spinach, grated cheese (he likes Monterey Jack, I say sharp cheddar), mashed chipotle & adobo sauce, and roasted garlic smoosh into the tomato sauce. Then the magic: you pour in a big hunk of tortilla chips (we use Tostito's Bite Size) and wait for them to soggify. Honestly, it's delicious, quick, easy, and you can dress it up a zillion ways, if so inspired. Lucas just finished his leftovers for breakfast. Yum. Anyone else into this Mexican comfort food?

I had some awesome Chiliquiles a local chain in Houston (Taqueria Arandas)not long ago. Being a native Texan (and they are a native Tex-Mex dish), I had really never had Chiliquiles until I read Robb Walsh's, History of Tex Mex Cookbook (excellent read, btw).

I love them.

Edited by franktex (log)

Frank in Austin

I love a plate of chilaquiles for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It truly is a comfort food. My favorite is made with freshly fried tortilla strips and green sauce.

I may have to go make some for my breakfast if I have any sauce in the freezer.

Today's NYTimes article by Lawson on comfort foods got me thinking about our family's latest: chilaquiles. Thanks to Rick Bayless' "Mexican Kitchen," we have discovered the joy of turning pureed tomato & tortilla chips into homey, Mexican comfort food. My 14-yr-old likes to add fresh spinach, grated cheese (he likes Monterey Jack, I say sharp cheddar), mashed chipotle & adobo sauce, and roasted garlic smoosh into the tomato sauce. Then the magic: you pour in a big hunk of tortilla chips (we use Tostito's Bite Size) and wait for them to soggify. Honestly, it's delicious, quick, easy, and you can dress it up a zillion ways, if so inspired. Lucas just finished his leftovers for breakfast. Yum. Anyone else into this Mexican comfort food?

Absolutely. I have been craving that dish with all our cold windy weather. I prefer the red over the green sauce myself.

I'll be using dry corn tortilla pieces from Don Pancho, a brand I like out of Oregon.

Thanks for providing some inspiration and I love the verb, soggify. I might have to use that.

Shelora

• 1 month later...

Directly inspired by Doc Sconzo's trip to Mexico (see here ) we decided to break in our new copy of Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen and make Chilaquiles de Frijol Negro.

My two older kids really love mexican food and have TIVO'd Chef Bayless's show. When I went through Doc's pics with them we all got to craving Mexican food and they were excited to try and make something from our new book.

What a perfect casual family meal and it was fun to make with the kids too! We toned down the chiles for the kids and added extra to ours at the end. We let the kids add their own queso anejo and creme fraiche (we are going to make the fresh cream ourselves for next time). What a winner and what a great book.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea