• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry Art & Design Magazine

Mary Ann

Does anyone out there subscribe to this magazine? I was looking at it on Amazon and it got mixed reviews. The biggest complaint was that subscribers never received their issues. It's a little on the expensive side and I hesitate to waste money on a magazine that may or may not arrive.

I used to have a subscription a few years ago but cancelled after I only got one magazine the whole year. Turns out they were sending my magazine to the wrong address. Even though I had called and complained & verified that they had my right address..I still never got another magazine. I eventually got my $$ back after numerous calls. :angry:

I subscribe & i've received every issue during my subscription. My only complaint is my copy arrives 5-6 days after I notice it at the newstand. Check out Pastry's Best magazine.......... I just received my first copy and I love it, I just wish it was monthly.

I agree with Ted. Buy it from the newsstand, because you will rarely get an issue, and never on time. I had two years of full paid subscriptions, receiving a few issues, months late. Unfortunately, this magazine calls the shots in our profession, naming the top ten pastry chefs of the year. Why do they? Anybody know? Is it simply because it's the only magazine for us? Or the most prominent?

My only complaint is my copy arrives 5-6 days after I notice it at the newstand. 

I think that is pretty standard in the magazine industry in general -- I've never subscribed to a magazine and received it before seeing it on the newsstand...

I cancelled my subscription 4 yrs. ago, and I'm still receiving it.  I think I see more of it now than when I was paying for it!

You realize you just jinxed yourself!:smile:

What I can't understand is why advertisers don't get mad at this practice. I received my Valentine copy of Chocolatier a few days after Valentines. I'm sure some of their advertisers were expecting sales from the issue.

My only complaint is my copy arrives 5-6 days after I notice it at the newstand. 

I think that is pretty standard in the magazine industry in general -- I've never subscribed to a magazine and received it before seeing it on the newsstand...

Quite the opposite in my experience -- with some magazines I get them a full 2 weeks before I see them on the stand. And I must admit that I've been peeved when I have seen one on the stand on the rare occasion that I've been late in getting it at my home.

I have been thinking about subscribing, but not getting around to it and hearing the bad reviews on Amazon. Now I think I'll take the advice from Maggie and Ted and just keep buying from the newstand...

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I can't say I'm surprised. They often don't pay the free-lance writers hired to write for the magazine (yours truly included -- I'll spare you the details) so I'm not shocked that they show their subscribers the same disrespect.

What they need is a Big Fat Competitor to provide a wake-up call.

I can't say I'm surprised. They often don't pay the free-lance writers hired to write for the magazine (yours truly included -- I'll spare you the details) so I'm not shocked that they show their subscribers the same disrespect.

What they need is a Big Fat Competitor to provide a wake-up call.

I've read similar at other sites about them not paying...........

I've tried to tell everyone about 'Pastry's Best' magazine............pastrynet.com....finally we have a competitor and one that might actually do a better job. So..........support them (even though it's a free publication). You can get a copy of it thru them, they mail to your home or thru different suppliers. I started a thread on them, just do a search in P & B. One of our members wrote a great article on brioche in the last issue.

I learned more recently about the man behind the magazine. David Kee was the person who owned Classic Gourmet out of Alanta..........I loved that company. Anyone else remember them? They were selling top notch ingredients before the main stream of pc even knew about them. He also was the person behind the Southern Pastry Classic, competition.

Another alternative is "Le Journal du Patissier". Yes, it is expensive and yes, it is in French, but all of the feature recipes are also in English and it can be worth it just for the photos of whats going in France. Lots of chocolate and sugar show piece stuff. The Christmas issue had tons of very innovative buches de Noel. Very easy to subscribe through Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00.../egulletcom-20/

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if I'm the only one who has been looking for a new edition for a long time. The last edititon I saw/have is Aug/Sept 2005!!! That's even the cover their showing on their website as the current issue.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

No, there are 2 after the one showing on the web site.

Oct/Nov has Laurent Lhuillier on the cover in the National Pastry Team championship. Profiles the different teams.

The latest issue is on gelato, but don't know the cover. I buy and the bookstore and based on content decided I didn't want to buy that issue.

Another reason why I'll stick with buying from the bookstore...

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I purchased the Feb/March issue with Deborah Racicot of Gotham Bar and Grill on the cover off the magazine rack yesterday. I think it's the best issue in awhile. The Signature section desserts are great with deserts from Michael Volpe, Alex Stupak, Pedro Gomez, and Ramon Ramos. There is an article on Danish/Croissant by Ciril Hitz. The article on feuilletine is good as well. Some interesting looks at wine, packaging etc., and a nice feature on sugar garnishes.

• 2 years later...

Hello all,

As a professional pastry chef and avid reader of anything that will help me improve upon my skills, I anxiously long to see the newest issue of Pastry Art and Design in the magazine section of my favorite bookstore. ( I had a subscription years ago but found it less stressful to purchase it when I find it at the store ). I in fact make a mental note of when I see it so that I can start to look again in 2 months when the newest issue should appear - give or take few days.

But I now have gone almost a month looking for the lastest issue, but no luck. It has been almost 3 months since the last one and I am kinda jonesing for it. Has anyone seen it?

Now to add to my frustration I also am a fan of Pastry's Best magazine, which has only been in circulation for a few years I believe. Well, I was just on their website looking to subscribe since I know I can't find it at the local bookstore, only to find out they are presently not taking new subscriptions because they are looking for a new owner!

So now I can't find Pastry Art and Design and can't get Pastry's Best through the mail! :blink:

Hopefully this is just temporary!

Jason

Hi Jason!

Long time no post...I don't know anything about the publication schedules of Pastry's Best or PAD, but I hope not to add insult to injury by pointing out this new publication:

Pastry & Baking: North America

I've been getting free copies of it via Bo Friberg, but not sure about subscriptions.

It has been a long time since I've seen PAD and even longer since I've seen an issue of PAD that I've wanted to buy. Let's see what happens...

best,

Alana

Hi Jason!

Long time no post...I don't know anything about the publication schedules of Pastry's Best or PAD, but I hope not to add insult to injury by pointing out this new publication:

Pastry & Baking: North America

I've been getting free copies of it via Bo Friberg, but not sure about subscriptions.

It has been a long time since I've seen PAD and even longer since I've seen an issue of PAD that I've wanted to buy.  Let's see what happens...

best,

Alana

Thanks Alana,

Yes, I haven't posted in some time ( although my sign- in is mckayinutah, I am now in Massachusetts )I haven't seen much on this site lately that I feel I can contribute to - but that is another story.

Anyhow, I have seen the website for Pastry and Baking: North America. That may be my next subscription.

PA&D appeals to me more because it has content that is more along the lines of what I do and what I want to do. I like Pastry's Best as well, althought the content

listed on their website for the last issue has I believe a recipe that involves cuttlefish - something that doesn't really appeal to me. ( but I guess you sometimes have to take the bad along with the good in things )

I wish I had the money and literary knowledge to do a pastry magazine- might be fun as well as rewarding. :biggrin:

Jason

Anyhow, I have seen the website for Pastry and Baking: North America. That may be my next subscription.

I subscribe to Pastry & Baking: North America. It's a great magazine with great production value... their website has a digital edition of Volume 2 #1 online if you want to check it out.

My only note is that they claim to publish 6 issues per year, but so far I've only received 2 (Volume 2 #1 and Volume 2 #2) dating back to late 2007.

I submitted material for their (Pastry and Baking North America) January issue and I have been too busy to follow up with the editor. I never received the magazine with the recipe/formula/photos that I submitted.

Maybe I'll drop him a mail as he was supposed to be moving a few miles from here.

The magazine is very nice; a huge step up from the Pastry Art and Design in terms of content and pic quality.