• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New restaurant

sgfrank

In today's national post:

"A dramatic new gourmet restaurant to be announced this week will hover above Yonge Street on the abandoned CP Rail bridge near Summerhill, the developer said yesterday."

It "will have a 'world-renowned' chef" say the developers.

Anyone have any details? Who is the mystery chef? How can you build a restaurant on a bridge in the middle of a street??? Crazy!

Simon

will hover above Yonge Street

Hmm... This suggests mere mortals wouldn't be up to the task. Sounds almost like a UFO might stake a position in mid-air over those tracks.

Interesting. I don't read the Post, so I didn't see the article. Look forward to hearing more. We have a few people in the business on this board, perhaps someone will have more info.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

• 2 weeks later...
In today's national post:

"A dramatic new gourmet restaurant to be announced this week will hover above Yonge Street on the abandoned CP Rail bridge near Summerhill, the developer said yesterday."

Simon

Hmm - where is there an abandoned CP rail bridge???

This line is still used regularly ( I know, I can feel it). But if the line is abandoned my property value should rise significantly!

Sounds like a Pie In The Sky idea to me.

there was something in one of the papers this past weekend, with a photo.....sorry was just skimming and the paper got destroyed in the renos before I read it.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

• 3 weeks later...

Update from the national post:

The restaurant will indeed be on the bridge: It will sit "atop the unused south portion of the CP rail bridge and use the space next to the majestic clock tower as its entranceway."

And perhaps more interestingly, it will be helmed by none other than Susur Lee. A 3rd restaurant? Is he completely dropping the role of chef and moving over to 'chef as brand'? Is a Vegas restaurant next?

I have to admit these comments are coloured by a rather disappointing experience at Susur a couple weeks ago. The food was in top form, and Susur was indeed there, though who knows how much cooking he was doing as he flitted from dining room to dining room; but I suppose that is immaterial, since the kitchen was putting out great food. My beef was with the service, which was a joke. Kelly Kwan, our captain, was superb as always, but the rest of the team seemed to be on their training shift. Allergies were disregarded as plates were delivered, the waiters would call out tableside to find out who had requested 'no foie', as though we were at Milestones. Plates were forgotten, the descriptions of the courses were unintelligible and at times erroneous... the list goes on. I was very much embarassed for the vetran members of the team, as I think there was just too much new blood for the service team to function smoothly as a unit.

Simon

Does anybody seriously believe this will happen?

Every time a train goes by the bottles in the LCBO store are shaken and create so much noise that conversation is difficult. If the restaurant is that close to the tracks I can foresee multiple accidents with plates, glasses, wines etc.

I'd like to believe it, but the price point in that area is much lower than one would expect from its proximity to Rosedale (just look at the surviving places there) and road access is difficult - even more so with the proposed St Clair streetcar right-of-way. Or do the high-rollers take the subway?

Sounds like a Joke to me, I did a presentation at the LCBO Summerhill a month or so back, and I recall the train (and subway) vividly, I can only imagine what would happen to wine and plates sitting ON the tracks...

And another Susur joint....*rolls eyes*....not worth my time or money. In his previous life in Toronto before his years abroad, Susur put out great food, great service, and was FOCUSED. After so many issues at his new place, and a total disregard for his old clients, this new trend is not all that surprising actually.

I seriously hope this report is flawed and this place is a) not on the tracks b) not a susur restaraunt.

Edited by sadistick (log)