• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta joins the Trader Joe's communities!

Yesterday I read with delight and pleasure that we Atlantans are about to get our very own Trader Joe's! Now this is of particular interest to me because, for many years, I have had to fly to Santa Cruz, California, to stock up on their delightful offerings ... nah, that's only partially true :hmmm: ... my daughter lives there and she introduced me to TJ's many years ago ... I never fail to take an empty suitcase for my voracious appetite has only increased exponentially over the years ... nuts and dried fruits and all kinds of goodies under their label come back in that empty suitcase with me ... :laugh:

But all that is about to change: article from Atlanta Business Chronicle: Trader Joe's leases 2 stores, may open 12 ...

Trader Joe's Co. Inc., where shoppers can find such items as hormone-free chicken or blue cheese-stuffed olives, has signed on for 12,000-square-foot stores at Midtown Promenade shopping center, 931 Monroe Drive, and Sandy Springs Plaza, 6299 Roswell Road, according to several people close to the lease negotiations.   The California-based company also is negotiating leases on two other stores, in Buckhead and East Cobb, and may consider a total of 10 to 12 stores in metro Atlanta, those sources said

and I shall sit in a tent in the empty parking lots whose addresses are here and await the Grand Openings!

Seems like only yesterday when I started this thread:

What does a city have to do to get some respect?Trader Joe's,Dean & DeLuca: nouveau whine :huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Felicitations and Mazeltov!!

I remember when the store in Alexandria, VA opened. One of my friends, who lives a few blocks away, sent me a "Nyanh, Nyanh, Nyanh!" email.

I introduced her to TJs when she was out here for a dog show and like you, she bought enough to fill a suitcase plus a tote bag (had to buy both) then proceeded to snack on various items on the plane trip home.

She said that quite a few folks on the plane were taking notes from her TJ's receipt.

She wrote that the day the store opened, there was a huge traffic jam (well, more than usual) and the police had to direct traffic.

They do sell wine and liquor at that store and she says it is not unusual to see people checking out with two baskets, one full of wine bottles, the other with groceries.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This all depends on your definition of good fortune. Atlanta is already blessed with a large number of really great markets, including locally owned Dekalb Farmers Market. So, on the one hand I may benefit from fewer "looky loos" clogging the aisles at DFM, particularly on the weekends.

On the other hand, if Trader Joe's successfully leeches off enough of DFM's customer base, I risk losing DFM entirely.

The Midtown Promenade location is, by the way, entirely inadequate. The commercial space, presumably the old and now vacant Winn-Dixie, is fine, but the parking is terrible: the original area allotted to the grocery store is already used for overflow by the adjacent cinema and various restaurants, bars, and shops in the shopping center.

Can you pee in the ocean?

This all depends on your definition of good fortune. Atlanta is already blessed with a large number of really great markets, including locally owned Dekalb Farmers Market. So, on the one hand I may benefit from fewer "looky loos" clogging the aisles at DFM, particularly on the weekends.

On the other hand, if Trader Joe's successfully leeches off enough of DFM's customer base, I risk losing DFM entirely.

For those of you on the East side of town, you are blessed with great markets. On the Northwest side we have Whole Foods and Fresh Market which are both great and both very expensive. I am thrilled to see Sandy Springs as one of the new locations. I can't imagine TJ's siphoning enough business from YDFM to be noticeable...

Edited by karma police (log)

I am thrilled to see Sandy Springs as one of the new locations. I can't imagine TJ's siphoning enough business from YDFM to be noticeable...

From my past experience and living here some 25+ years, I can tell you that the people in Sandy Springs will flock to TJ's ... and may not be willing to go to the DFM out in Decatur .. gasoline and traffic will encourage them to buy more locally ..

Therese happens to live inside the Perimeter, which is one reason she visits the farmers market there more frequently perhaps ...

I live in Morningside, and DFM is one of the farthest things I travel to. It is pretty far to use as a grocery store, as I do, for anyone not near Decatur and VERY far for someone on the Westside or OTP. Though the Midtown Trader Joe's location will be closer to me, I doubt I'll shop there much. DFM is incredible.

DFM is a great location for me---I don't technically live in Decatur, but it's close enough that it's still an easy trip for me. And Morningside, where Voodoo is lives, is still a very reasonable trip. But certainly anybody who lives west of town is market-deprived. OTP on the east side is still easy access to DFM, but of course it's also easy access to all the markets on Buford Highway and out I-85.

I think the Midtown location with compete largely with Whole Foods rather than Dekalb. And maybe the competition with actually improve some aspects of DFM, like the bread.

DFM is incredible.

A sentiment with which I have to thoroughly agree! But I live in Dunwoody so it is quite a drive for me. Not that I don't enjoy myself enormously when I arrive there ... DFM is an original!

DFM is a great location for me---I don't technically live in Decatur, but it's close enough that it's still an easy trip for me. And Morningside, where Voodoo is lives, is still a very reasonable trip. But certainly anybody who lives west of town is market-deprived. OTP on the east side is still easy access to DFM, but of course it's also easy access to all the markets on Buford Highway and out I-85.

I think the Midtown location with compete largely with Whole Foods rather than Dekalb. And maybe the competition with actually improve some aspects of DFM, like the bread.

Never really noticed the bread wasn't that good at DFM. If you're looking for good bread, I think Alon's might have the best bread on this side of town.

Never really noticed the bread wasn't that good at DFM.  If you're looking for good bread, I think Alon's might have the best bread on this side of town.

Yep, Alon's has great bread, much better IMO than the fancy desserts. I've not been going to the Morningside Market lately, as I'd stopped doing a CSA over the winter. But once I re-start the CSA I'll be back to our "three loaves of multigrain, sliced" habit every Saturday AM.

I like the mini French baguettes from DFM in a pinch (they're not remotely "mini", more of a batard), but DFM does not have a really good mult-grain, or a good sourdough. The mini whole wheat croissants are good, as are the rugelach.

I'm a recent arrival in Atlanta (moved here in August for graduate school.) I'm a devotee of Trader Joe's (in Philadelphia) and a weekly, newly loyal customer of the Dekalb Farmer's Market.

My two cents: the two places have nothing to do with each other; there's no way whatsoever that TJ's will impair DFM's business, at all. Nominally or otherwise.

Tom

Edited by kretch (log)

"I've been served a parsley mojito. Shit happens." - philadining

My two cents: the two places have nothing to do with each other; there's no way whatsoever that TJ's will impair DFM's business, at all. Nominally or otherwise.

Welcome to eGullet and Atlanta, Tom! And you are absolutely correct in stating this about TJ's ...matter of fact, some people will patronize both for equally valid reasons ... each serves its own unique purpose.

Yesterday I read with delight and pleasure that we Atlantans are about to get our very own Trader Joe's! Now this is of particular interest to me because, for many years, I have had to fly to Santa Cruz, California, to stock up on their delightful offerings ... nah, that's only partially true  :hmmm: ... my daughter lives there and she introduced me to TJ's many years ago ... I never fail to take an empty suitcase for my voracious appetite has only increased exponentially over the years ... nuts and dried fruits and all kinds of goodies under their label come back in that empty suitcase with me ...  :laugh:

But all that is about to change:  article from Atlanta Business ChronicleTrader Joe's leases 2 stores, may open 12 ...

Trader Joe's Co. Inc., where shoppers can find such items as hormone-free chicken or blue cheese-stuffed olives, has signed on for 12,000-square-foot stores at Midtown Promenade shopping center, 931 Monroe Drive, and Sandy Springs Plaza, 6299 Roswell Road, according to several people close to the lease negotiations.   The California-based company also is negotiating leases on two other stores, in Buckhead and East Cobb, and may consider a total of 10 to 12 stores in metro Atlanta, those sources said

and I shall sit in a tent in the empty parking lots whose addresses are here and await the Grand Openings!

Seems like only yesterday when I started this thread:

What does a city have to do to get some respect?Trader Joe's,Dean & DeLuca: nouveau whine :huh:

And I think you owe me a plane ticket!! :biggrin:

They said something along the line of "well, once we get the distribution center in Atlanta built, then maybe we could come to NC".

If this is true, Anne, then I will personally give you a free gift card to the nearest TJ's and an airplane ticket ... :wink:

When I visit my daughter on the central coast of California, I purposely pack lightly going out and leave room for my TJ's "stash" coming home .. this time, my bag was weighed and was tagged "HEAVY BAG" :hmmm: .. sure I was embarrassed trying to drag it off the carrousel, but, hey, it is Trader Joe's!

How much could my full ripe Turkish apricots and orange scented dried cranberries weigh? So what if I bought 6 big bags of each? plus the candy and cookies, and miniature bell peppers and lemon curd and jams and jellies and ...

Congratulations! Today Atlanta, tomorrow.... Charlotte? It's the most I can hope for, I know that Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Winston-Salem, Asheville and probably even Chapel Hill will get TJ's before Greensboro does! :angry:

But I have family in Charlotte, and it's closer than California or DC! :raz:

Anne

Congratulations!  Today Atlanta, tomorrow.... Charlotte? It's the most I can hope for, I know that Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Winston-Salem, Asheville and probably even Chapel Hill will get TJ's before Greensboro does! :angry:

I will have to give you my frequent flyer miles since I will have to go to California far fewer times now! :laugh: Damn! I had totally forgotten about that promise ... :huh:

As for those cities getting the next TJ's? Those are precisely what I had discussed yesterday with a friend of mine ... and in that order, too! (we missed Winston-Salem though)

Good news. Seeing that I'll most likely head over to georgia tech for grad school from sunny california! :biggrin: Can't do without the cheap booze (10 yo macallan for $20... HELL YEAH!) and random nick nacks from TJ's!

Congratulations!  Today Atlanta, tomorrow.... Charlotte? It's the most I can hope for, I know that Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Winston-Salem, Asheville and probably even Chapel Hill will get TJ's before Greensboro does! :angry:

I will have to give you my frequent flyer miles since I will have to go to California far fewer times now! :laugh: Damn! I had totally forgotten about that promise ... :huh:

As for those cities getting the next TJ's? Those are precisely what I had discussed yesterday with a friend of mine ... and in that order, too! (we missed Winston-Salem though)

Interesting! Why is Greensboro (or even Winston) last? We've got colleges...we've got fancy restaurants...we've got...well, I don't know...folks who can cook? I had a discussion with a checker at Whole Foods in Winston the other night, and he said that Charlotte was due to get two WF before they even came to Greensboro.

Did I mention we have colleges? Good ones too..Like 7 of them.

Damn. We don't have a good theatre either..

Anne

• 7 months later...

From today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"As Trader Joe's opens, foodies ready to rejoice" ... it appears that we Atlantans have waited patiently and have been rewarded!

Nirvana comes at 9 a.m. today for the Trader Joe's faithful, when the boutique grocery chain opens the area's first store in west Roswell. Four more metro Atlanta locations will follow before the end of the year.
Store locations and projected opening dates:

• Roswell Crossing, 635 W. Crossville Road, Roswell. 9 a.m.-9 p.m. daily.

• Sandy Springs Plaza, intersection of Roswell and Johnson Ferry roads in Sandy Springs. Mid-November.

• Pinestraw Plaza, intersection of Roswell and Johnson Ferry roads in east Cobb County. December.

• The Forum, 5275 Peachtree Parkway, Norcross. December.

• Midtown Promenade, Monroe Drive at 10th Street, Atlanta. Early 2007.

A few days ago I bought some of the frozen foods I like to keep on hand, the spicy green beans, and I tried a new offering, roasted vegetables, which includes cherry tomatoes, baby carrots and a fantastic sauce that is balsamic based, perhaps a bit salty, but wonderful flavor. Not only did I eat my half of the vegetables, I tore up chunks of Asiago cheese bread (mine, not TJs) and dropped them into the sauce in the shallow bowl to soak up every drop. This was a perfect side dish for bacon-wrapped filet mignon.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Interesting! Why is Greensboro (or even Winston) last? We've got colleges...we've got fancy restaurants...we've got...well, I don't know...folks who can cook? I had a discussion with a checker at Whole Foods in Winston the other night, and he said that Charlotte was due to get two WF before they even came to Greensboro.

Not to rub it in, but Charlotte has had two Trader Joe's announced with a third still rumored. And yeah, still two Whole Foods on the way.

Sorry.

But, hey, Greensboro still has Tobacco USA, right? :biggrin:

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

No, only prudent to be early.