• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rouge Burger makes #4

Jeff L

I really love this burger and apparently so do a lot of other people. It was just bestowed number 4 on the country's top 20 burgers list by GQ.

Who says Philadelphia isn't a food town? Here's the link to the article:

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_4196

Only town to have two entries in the Top Five: Barclay Prime's Sliders cam in at #5, just behind the Rouge Burger.

We rooole!

Who's yo' Daddy, NY-f*****g-City?

:raz:

FYI:

The GQ article in question came out in June of last year, and there is a discussion about it over in Food Media & News.

One other relevant point:

The author, Alan Richman, is a Philadelphian.

This is not to say that the Rouge Burger and the Barclay Prime sliders don't deserve to be on a list like this--they do.

But recall Calvin Trillin's dictum: "Anyone who doesn't think the world's best hamburger is served in his hometown is a fool."

(Trillin followed his rule as well, proclaiming to the readers of Life magazine in 1971 that the world's best hamburger was served at Winstead's in Kansas City, Missouri. Having had these, I can tell you that Trillin was a devotee of the thin patty, not the thick one.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I really love this burger and apparently so do a lot of other people. It was just bestowed number 4 on the country's top 20 burgers list by GQ.

Rouge burger (we also liked the fries and the happy, friendly bar crowd) one night + Amada tapas/wine/"bad education"/flamenco dancers the next = the highlights of a stay in Philly just before Christmas at the Sofitel (great room, great price).

Rouge burger (we also liked the fries and the happy, friendly bar crowd) one night + Amada tapas/wine/"bad education"/flamenco dancers the next = the highlights of a stay in Philly just before Christmas at the Sofitel (great room, great price).

Sheila:

I see you did the "Highlights of Katie's Former and Present Employer's" Tour. I didn't know Sofitel was offering a package with rooms for that. :raz:

Glad you enjoyed your stay. The Bad Educations are dangerous....

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I see you did the "Highlights of Katie's Former and Present Employer's" Tour.  I didn't know Sofitel was offering a package with rooms for that.  :raz:

Glad you enjoyed your stay.  The Bad Educations are dangerous....

Nah, that tour is a little longer, at least a 7day, 6nighter.

It could be done Hollywood style, a la celebrity-home tour.

"See, when Katie worked there, it was actually a restaurant.

And now we move on from Pompano Grille, to the next stage of her career..."

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I see you did the "Highlights of Katie's Former and Present Employer's" Tour.  I didn't know Sofitel was offering a package with rooms for that.  :raz:

Glad you enjoyed your stay.  The Bad Educations are dangerous....

Nah, that tour is a little longer, at least a 7day, 6nighter.

It could be done Hollywood style, a la celebrity-home tour.

"See, when Katie worked there, it was actually a restaurant.

And now we move on from Pompano Grille, to the next stage of her career..."

rofl.gif

Oh man. You owe me a new monitor. Dude. You made me spray a really good new cocktail out my nose. That was hilariously funny on so many levels I don't even know where to start.

Thanks for the reality check. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

FYI:

The GQ article in question came out in June of last year, and there is a discussion about it over in Food Media & News.

The reason this is coming back up is because it was on Oprah on Tuesday (2/28) (don't ask me how I knew this, I just did :laugh: ):

Oprah's Best of the Burgers

Read this tidbit in today's Inquirer.

I thought Oprah had sworn off the things, though.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I thought Oprah had sworn off the things, though.

Ah, it's just a short slide from "addict" to "enabler"...

Anyway, here's the blurb on Rouge:

The culinary quest began with a three-hour train ride from Gayle's home in Connecticut to Philadelphia, where she headed straight to Rouge, home of the #4 burger on the list. "Let's just say it was worth the day trip," she says with a grin.

(On an unrelated note: just below the article is Rachael Ray's recipe for "'You Won't Be Single For Long' Vodka Cream Pasta!" The saddest recipe name I've ever read? Why yes, yes it is.)

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)