• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants in Charlottesville

kendrabail

Heading with a girlfriend of mine to Charlottesville for the weekend, and was wondering if any of you had suggestions for some great places to eat and/or enjoy some great wine. So far, on our "to do" list are OXO, Ciboulette for lunch, Barboursville (Palladio) for brunch and possibly Mas for tapas one night. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sorry I can't opine on any of your listed places, but for a casual snack, be sure to go to The White Spot for a One-Eyed Gus Burger (burger w/ fried egg).

A Charlottsville classic!!

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Sorry I can't opine on any of your listed places, but for a casual snack, be sure to go to The White Spot for a One-Eyed Gus Burger (burger w/ fried egg).

Thanks,

Kevin

That sounds like an excellent hangover cure. I'll try it!

I've not been to C'ville in a long time but here are some place you should try to visit (although not asked some are definite road food type places).

C&O and Silver Thatch Inn were both really good. I've enjoyed many great meals there.

However, my favorite places are ...

Spudnut (great donuts)

Big Jim's (great BBQ and hamburgers, big jim's platter is a sight to behold)

White Spot Gus burger (all the way)

VA Country Chicken (next to dirty nellies on JPA). Fried chicken livers are the best.

It's been over 10 years for me, but Big Jim's WAS fantastic. If it's still around, another must-do.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

It's been over 10 years for me, but Big Jim's WAS fantastic. If it's still around, another must-do.

Thanks,

Kevin

KOK,

They are still around.

Soup

I've lived in Charlottesville for a while and I am very familiar with the food scene. Here are my recommendations:

Expensive: Zocalo and OXO. Both are on the Downtown Mall. OXO is a lot more expensive than Zocalo, so for the money, I would definitely recommend Zocalo.

Barboursville (Palladio) are WAY out of town... a half hour. If you want to taste wine, then it's worth it, but allow an hour of travel time.

Mas is great for tapas as is Bang for asian-style tapas. We like both. Mas has a vastly superior wine list.

Ciboulette is a bit schitzophrenic. Sometimes they are open for lunch/dinner, sometimes they aren't. Jose, the owner, is a bit on the gruff side. That being said, they have the best selection of specialty foods in the city.

I love the White Spot and the students start Spring Break on Friday, so it shouldn't be crowded. If you are inebriated a gus burger is the BEST FOOD ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH!

I think Big Jims is overrated.

One of our favorite spots is Continental Divide. Great food and very easy on the wallet. Plus they have the best selections of Tequila I have ever seen. Cuisine is Southwestern and there aren't any entrees over $14. But, it can be crowded.

If you get a chance to go wine tasting, I would hit Veritas and White Hall. Both have good wine, a friendly atmosphere and are in a spectaculary beautiful setting.

Shoot me an email if you have any further questions: chefberg@yahoo.com.

BR

Welcome to eGullet, Blue Ridge!

It has been almost 16years since I lived in Charlottesville. At that time some of my favorites included Guadalajara for some of the best Mexican food I have ever had in the US, The Silver Thatch Inn and Eastern Standard in the Downtown mall. Are any of them still alive and kicking?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks so much for the great recommendations. Already on our list is OXO for one night, and definitely Mas for one night. We also plan on hitting Ciboulette for a nice wine lunch (and you are right about the owner, but for shopping purposes, the place is awesome). We hope to round out our trip with the prix fixe wine brunch at Barboursville on Sunday.

I've eaten at both OXO and Mas some time ago, and I loved the relaxed atmosphere of OXO-- thought Mas was fun, and it had some great food, but the service. Ugh. Just awful. I really don't care if my servers are good looking (and yes, the all are) which seems to be the primary criteria for hiring over there versus actual experience.

Glad to hear that we are on the right track though. I am taking a friend who loves good food and wine, and she has never been to Charlottesville before. I will report back!

p.s. Guadalajara is still there as of a couple of months ago, and you guys are right about the White Spot-- what a landmark, and they make one hell of an egg sandwich.

Eastern Standard has regrettably closed. We ate at Guadalajara a couple of weeks ago and it is one of the best bargains anywhere! The food and service are top notch!

I have not been to Silver Thatch and to be honest, I don't hear a lot about it. It has a decent reputation, but I haven't heard enough about it that screams "you must try this place!" I know it's expensive though.

Thanks,

Kevin

Wow! the Grease Spot...been there forever (when I was a kid before I even went to grade school much less to the U)...but for good food, you might want to go to the C&O but I'd advise calling about reservations before you go.

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!

Tommy Smothers

• 4 months later...

I took my son down to summer camp at UVA yesterday & after leaving him at the dorm, I asked his counselor for a good Mexican restaurant. He recommended Guadalajara. After a few wrong turns, we found it (me & my 7-yr. old daughter). It was great-nicely spiced salsa, a little heavy on the salt (not complaining), just what I needed after my separation anxiety (my son's first sleep away camp).

wrong turns? did they send you to the one downtown?

the one behind the shell on 29 has a pretty big sign iirc.

i'd kill someone right now for a muffin from littlejohns, or a 4 cheese with turkey from littlejohns, or a chicken parm with onion rings from college inn, or a sandwich from belair. oh, breakfast at the tavern! god, it looks like i'll be killing a lot of people.

i miss c'ville terribly. i hope to go back this fall, although i doubt i'll hit any of the high end places...too many cheap eats that bring back the memories.

Edited by carpetbagger, esq. (log)

I'd echo Blue Ridge's recommendations, if anyone is heading this direction soon. I live on the Charlottesville downtown pedestrian mall and eat out quite a bit. I prefer Zocalo over Oxo, as well. Zocalo specializes in South American cuisine and has a fairly good array of wines from that region. Fix a mean mojito, too. The tuna tartar appetizer is really excellent.

I would certainly avoid Mas at the high traffic times. Dinner on Friday or Saturday night. The service drops from bad to atrocious, besides having to wait eons for a table. Wish the food weren't so good. I sort of hate letting them get away with their smug, lackidaisical service. The dates in apple-smoked bacon are something I always order, no matter what.

Continental Divide is one of my very favorites. It is small, however. Prepare to wait, if you arrive during prime time. I often eat at the bar, where you can eat the same menu served in the booths. Friendly service in both places. Excellent margaritas with a huge list of tequilas to choose from, if you'd like to personalize your drink. Menu is Santa Fe-style. Love the chicken enchilada, served with a plate of rice and beans, with a pumpkin muffin on the side. The Divide is located on West Main Street, within walking distance (at least for me) of the downtown mall.

Edited by ThatGrrl (log)

Hi

Coming from NJ. Staying in Shenandoah Nat. Park. Have Culinary dinner at Inn at Little Wash on Weds. Hope to hit a few of your noted places. Cuban wife has family in Charlottesville. Viejo Majadero means cranky old man. Has other meaning to other Latin cultures. Hope I don't live up to my reputation. Thanks for the timely reporting.

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).

Hey CB, Esq

Have not met this wing of the family yet. Will try to remember. Can I assume this is a Cuban place? With that name I will fit in.

Was just informed we will also be staying in Charlottesville so dining there will be must.

Thanks

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).

Hi

Took a quick look on line. Cubans don't eat Burittos and Salsa, as a native dish. 

Viejo

The restaurant has been under new management for at least a year now. Sigh. Part of a growing local trend: Dave Matthew's (yes, THAT Dave) manager, Coran Capshaw, bought it to add to his stable of restaurants. The menu changed. Some of the better items, like the pulled pork Cuban sandwich, are gone. Portions on remaining menu items stayed the same, while prices increased. Gone are the cloth napkins, in with the heavy paper napkins. I used to eat there, and do not anymore. And I only live a block away! It's a small restaurant to begin with. The idea of waiting to eat there, knowing what the place used to be, irks. I would not characterize it as Cuban, anymore; the original version was kind of cutting it close, to begin with, anyway. But it's definitely not Cuban, these days. I'd skip it, were I you.

As for any true Cuban fare in C-ville, if there is any, I am unaware of it.

I took my son down to summer camp at UVA yesterday & after leaving him at the dorm, I asked his counselor for a good Mexican restaurant.  He recommended Guadalajara.  After a few wrong turns, we found it (me & my 7-yr. old daughter).  It was great-nicely spiced salsa, a little heavy on the salt (not complaining), just what I needed after my separation anxiety (my son's first sleep away camp).

Guadalajara was my favorite restaurant in C'Ville when I lived therre 16 years ago. I have been back a few times and it has remained good. It is one of the few places from that era that i will feel compelled to return to whenever I go back to Charlottesville. It didn't matter which restaurant either. They were both good. I have since longed for Mexican food of that caliber near where I live.

When I lived in C'Ville, Dave Matthews and Boyd Tinsley were up-and-coming local musicians with the bigger name being Tinsley's :smile:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Guadalajara was my favorite restaurant in C'Ville when I lived therre 16 years ago.

I still like Guad's, quite a bit. It's very casual. Good value. Hardly fine dining, but a very solid performer. Excellent, authentic Mexican food. Best in town, for its category, in my book. Although, I still prefer the margaritas at Continental Divide! But that's a different style of food, over there. For good, traditional Mexican, Guad's is my favorite.

I'm going to have to disagree.  Although it might be a good value, there is no way Guad. is traditional mexican fare, unless in my absence the mexicans have begun layering oily yellow cheese over everything.

Guess I was merely trying to draw a distinction between say, a Santa Fe-style or other Mexican-ish type of menu. If you have to pick a category, that's what it comes close to.

Sounds as if I've had better experiences at Guad's, than you have. I'm not saying that I'd go out of my way to find it, were I in from out of town. It certainly isn't in my top 10, by comparison to other restaurants here. But, given that I live close enough to walk to it, it is a solid performer for what it is. Just my experience. YMMV.

I'm going to have to disagree.  Although it might be a good value, there is no way Guad. is traditional mexican fare, unless in my absence the mexicans have begun layering oily yellow cheese over everything.

Guess I was merely trying to draw a distinction between say, a Santa Fe-style or other Mexican-ish type of menu. If you have to pick a category, that's what it comes close to.

Sounds as if I've had better experiences at Guad's, than you have. I'm not saying that I'd go out of my way to find it, were I in from out of town. It certainly isn't in my top 10, by comparison to other restaurants here. But, given that I live close enough to walk to it, it is a solid performer for what it is. Just my experience. YMMV.

If that is truly the case that they are putting that kind of cheese on "everything" then the place has changed considerably since I was last there. One of the things i loved about that place was that they didn't do that - at least not in most of their dishes.

Twitter - @docsconz