• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Chicken

Since Ezell's closed it's U-District branch long ago there doesn't seem to be any good alternatives within the city. I work in the U-District and bus home to Wallingford, so obviously Garfield High School and Lynwood are a bit farther than I want to go. KFC in Ballard is really poor quality, and the chicken at QFC and Safeway seems to sit around all day and dry out. Are there any good places between downtown and Crown Hill, East of University Village, that serves good, moist fried chicken and sides?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Chicken Fight from the latest issue of The Stranger.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The 5 Spot was mentioned, and probably all of the Chow Food restaurants have Fried Chicken.

My favorite chicken is at the Atlas Cafe at University Village. They have a honey "stung" fried chicken that is always moist and flavorful. When Fred and I lived in Seattle we ate there at least once a week, often more--and that was my favorite. Green beans and a great mashed spuds. It is also a place with great comfort food and a friendly staff of people.

Ed

“Cooking should be a carefully balanced reflection of all the good things of the earth.”

Has anyone tried the pan fried chicken dinners at Alki Homestead in W. Seattle lately? It's been a few years, but their pan fried chicken dinners were pretty nice (think comfort food) and I love the charming & historical setting of the restaurant (ie. historical log cabin w/ river rock fireplace, antique furniture & historical photos of the area, etc). As I recall chicken dinners are about $13, or for served family style all you can eat, a couple dollars more. After dinner, a walk to the beach, just a block away, is nice, too.

Alki Homestead Restaurant

2717 61st Ave. S.W., Seattle

206-935-5678

What about the chicken stand across from the soon to close Dish D'lish in the Market?

That place always smells sort of foul (as opposed to fowl) when I walk by.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

What about the chicken stand across from the soon to close Dish D'lish in the Market?

That place always smells sort of foul (as opposed to fowl) when I walk by.

:laugh:

You know, though, they really have pretty tasty fried chicken and the livers aren't bad either if you get them when they're just out of the fryer. (Unfortunately, the gizzards are pretty gristly--they need slower cooking to make them tender). It makes a great snack to take down to the waterfront/overlook when you're in the mood for comfort food.

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

You know, though, they really have pretty tasty fried chicken and the livers aren't bad either if you get them when they're just out of the fryer.  (Unfortunately, the gizzards are pretty gristly--they need slower cooking to make them tender).  It makes a great snack to take down to the waterfront/overlook when you're in the mood for comfort food.

To bad about the gizzards. I haven't has any in a long time.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons