• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yam / Sweet Potato Fries

sgfrank

Wish I were near a stove. 

I'm trapped in the New Orleans Airport Hilton.  It was their room service SP fries that prompted my musings.  The stuff they served were pretty limp, but not as bad as what I've made. 

The most "well done" of their fries were no more crispy than less dark fries, from which I infer that extent of cooking isn't the issue. 

I wonder if one could one brine a sweet potato and pull out water prior to frying?

But perhaps water isn't the issue at all....

Who knows what the fries were like fresh out of the fryer 20 minutes or more before they arrived at your room, most likely covered to permit the contained steam to wilt any crispness that time, alone, hadn't destroyed.

For sure. But in spite of the certain mistreatment they weren't horrible.

In 2001, Lamb Weston brand Sweet Things® debut. Cut from the highest quality U.S.-grown, orange-flesh sweet potatoes, these Trim Fries and Platter Fries are processed with our patented Stealth® coating to deliver a smoother interior texture and crisper bite than any other frozen sweet potato fry on the market.

Hmm. I wondered from the ingredients if these were formed fries, but I found the above quote.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

After I blanch the sweet potatoes in canola @ 300, I lay them out in a single layer in a baking pan and allow them to dry out in a fridge for at least 24 hours. When I have an order I fry the sweet fries @ 375, this method seems to yield the most consistently crisp and light sweet potatoe fries.

• 2 months later...

I would suggest than rather striving for a CRISP SP fry, why not attempt a caramalized one?

The flavour is far superior, and it is oh so delicious!!!

Recently we have been cutting them in round slices, then in half, tossing them with some EVOO, S&P and depending on our mood, various spices (anything from ground dried chipotles to curry and/or Gara Masala)

The key I have found is to get the oven to around 350 and keep mixing them around...this way its more healthy than frying, and for me, even more delicious!