• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want, I WANT...a Trader Joe's to open in K.C.

Opening March 9th Trader Joes in Templeton, Cali.  This will be the 3rd TJ's within 45 minute driving time of my home.  I'll buy for those of you who have to do without.

Raoul

Templeton? As in, near Paso Robles? Jeez, that was the STICKS not too long ago. But I was there a few months back, and now Paso's got piles and piles of new development.

Yep, no TJ and no Ikea were huge negatives when I moved here. Thank goodness for Brookside Market... we bought a house in walking distance because of it (and the now-defunct Breadsmith, but I'm consoling myself with some Orchard Bread from Fervere so I'm not too sad right now).

I'm sure it's all over eG in other forums, but doya think the Whole Foods/Wild Oats merger will bring a nicer WF to the metro core area? Wouldn't THAT be nice!?

... and sorry, ue, for yet another unfruitful ding in your email.

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

... and sorry, ue, for yet another unfruitful ding in your email.
I live in KC... what do I expect. :raz: Certainly not TJ or Ikea banging down my door... sheesh.
I'm sure it's all over eG in other forums, but doya think the Whole Foods/Wild Oats merger will bring a nicer WF to the metro core area? Wouldn't THAT be nice!?
No kidding. Our WF sucks. Mostly (I shouldn't complain, because we at least have one!!) because it's all the way down South and I'm all the way up here... So, on top of being in a TJ/Ikea-less KC, I'm also opposite ends to everything worthwhile about this city... (and they'll probably open the TJ and/or Ikea in Olathe, if they ever do appear). Oh, I do live near the airport, which makes for easy escapes. :rolleyes:

I will say, I have a love-affair with WF's cheesemongers... my little trysts away from the gross shrunk-wrapped offerings at my local markets.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I wondered about the WF/WO thing, too. When Wild Goats took over Clearly Nature's Own the community had a collective (hormone-free) cow and to allay the backlash they 'promised' not to close that old store to build a big, fancy one. They were poised to break that promise most certainly when they built the space that now houses World Market. But they never got the doors open before a moratorium on expansion was declared and little CNO was saved once again. The Roeland Park location never seems to have any cars in the lot but that could change with the whole Mission Center redevelopment, so I would take a 'wait and see' on that if I were WF's management. The existing WF is far enough away from the south WO so I doubt they're competing unduly. As for the northland, it does seem like there is some room for them up around Zona Rosa. I have been curious how Green Acres is doing in Briarcliffe but my first two visits there were so frustrating I decided to give them some time to get their act together before going back.

And while we're w-a-y OT for a TJ's thread (:rolleyes:), I will give WF some credit for listening to Michael Pollan and others and addressing their virtual abandonment of "local" products. It's not going to be fixed overnight but they are working with farmers in the areas where they have stores, having workshops and disseminating info on what steps they need to take to become a supplier so we'll see how that all turns out.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Opening March 9th Trader Joes in Templeton, Cali.  This will be the 3rd TJ's within 45 minute driving time of my home.  I'll buy for those of you who have to do without.

Raoul

Raoul~

I'd heard it was March 2....... ?? :angry:

I live in Paso, formerly of Encinitas, where I had one 3 blocks away. To drive half an hour to get to one is INSANE. I cannot wait.

:blush: Apologies to all who have none. You really should, soon. (I miss IKEA, too.........and Henry's/Wild Oats........and decent seafood without having to drive to Morro Bay.......

I love however having fabulous local wines on sale at the Albertson's down the street. And no traffic, and gorgeous green empty hills ---no red tile roofs a la Laguna Niguel..........)

The tradeoffs are worth it, when you love where you live. A TJ's is the icing on the cake :wink:

Kathy