• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want, I WANT...a Trader Joe's to open in K.C.

You will get one faster than we will down here in Tulsa. Have you tried talking to their person in charge of expansion? Wouldn't hurt.

edited to add - from their web site, they have 3 stores in St Louis, so KC could be ripe for expansion, That would give me another reason to go up there instead of down to Dallas.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Any idea if this might happen - anyone?

u.e.

I spoke to someone at their HQ after the SECOND store in StLouis opened and they still don't have any plans for KC. I asked if there were anything we could do to encourage them (calling, emailing, writing in) and the answer was "no." They have more markets wanting their stores than they can keep up with at this point, so that's that. It was pretty cut and dried, matter of fact - not really snobby, just the facts.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

As if I have any say... sigh... the powers that be operate despite piddly folks like me... I inquired about opening a Chipotle franchise here in K.C. about seven years ago - only to be told that that they don't franchise out... in fact, they hadn't even given K.C. a thought. While I'd like to think I was the person who tipped the Chipotle folks off on the K.C. market (which they seem to be making quite a killing off of), I doubt my "request" had anything to do with their arrival.... sigh...

Not that I'm complaining - we do have D&D, the Better Cheddar and Whole Foods - but Trader Joe's has some of the best value I've ever seen in a semi-specialty mart...

Maybe some Trader Joe's exec will wander across this post? (Fingers crossed).

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

I just looked at Trader Joe's website, and what I want to know is why there is one in Creve Couer, MO and not in Kansas City? This doesn't make sense to me?

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I just looked at Trader Joe's website, and what I want to know is why there is one in Creve Couer, MO and not in Kansas City?  This doesn't make sense to me?

That's suburuban St. Louis, Katie. They also got Cost Plus (World Market) before we did. Exasperating, isn't it? Good things come to those who wait.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

That's suburuban St. Louis, Katie.  They also got Cost Plus (World Market) before we did.  Exasperating, isn't it?  Good things come to those who wait.

I hope you're right and that (at least) one is coming...

Patient,

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I just looked at Trader Joe's website, and what I want to know is why there is one in Creve Couer, MO and not in Kansas City?  This doesn't make sense to me?

That's suburuban St. Louis, Katie.

I'm not sure quite what I was thinking, but I was thinking that Creve Couer was closer to us than St. Louis... I must of been thinking of some other town! Oops!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

• 2 weeks later...

OK, not to belabor the point or 'dis' our fellow Heartlanders, but I just read that Milwaukee is the next new market for TJ's. And St. Louis now has 3, count 'em 3, stores. I am starting to take it personally.

M.F.K. Fisher

OK, not to belabor the point or 'dis' our fellow Heartlanders, but I just read that Milwaukee is the next new market for TJ's.  And St. Louis now has 3, count 'em 3, stores.  I am starting to take it personally.

Everytime I get a little notice in my inbox that someone has posted to this forum, my heart does a (hopeful) little skip... This is all cruel teasing... :hmmm:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 10 months later...

My initial whine about why Trader Joe's had overlooked the glorious environs of Atlanta came at least one full year (or more) before they actually took heed (not of me and my desires being fulfilled of course!) and opened some 5 TJ's here ..

Of course, now that they have arrived, I am exuberant and have pledged to limit my trips to their stores to once per week ... this is still better than my having to bring back a suitcase from California every six months ... and I did!

U.E.: Be patient .. they will find you... and you'll never be hungry again, Scarlett! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

My initial whine about why Trader Joe's had overlooked the glorious environs of Atlanta came at least one full year (or more) before they actually took heed (not of me and my desires being fulfilled of course!) and opened some 5 TJ's here ..

Of course, now that they have arrived, I am exuberant and have pledged to limit my trips to their stores to once per week ... this is still better than my having to bring back a suitcase from California every six months ... and I did!

U.E.:  Be patient .. they will find you... and you'll never be hungry again, Scarlett!  :laugh:

Melissa,

I recall that one of the first posts I read of yours, soon after I joined eG, had a mention (whine) about the lack of TJs in your home city and how much you enjoyed shopping at the one located near your daughter's home.

I truly believe that your posts about the many products available at TJs (and often unavailable anywhere else) has prompted more than a few eG members to venture into the stores and sample the varied and interesting (and reasonably priced) offerings.

(just as an example, TJs sells the Kerrygold Irish butter for a dollar less than than other stores in my area and in some cases, well over a dollar less.) I love Kerrygold butter, it is almost as good as homemade!

I know there are more than a few people who do not see the point of TJs, but having shopped at the stores since before they actually were named TJs, I think I have a pretty good picture of what they are about.

I have friends who delight in fooling those people who have pretensions of expertise in wines by substituting TJs house label wines for more expensive. :rolleyes:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I find that the two TJ's I waited with baited breath to open here in Atlanta pale in comparison to the ones in LA (which I too frequented, brought back bags of goodies as well as bartered with my cousin in West hollywood to send me things).

I went to the one on Crossville and Roswell Road - perhaps I went too soon...it was not a pleasant trip.

Perhaps I will try again....

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

I find that the two TJ's I waited with baited breath to open here in Atlanta pale in comparison to the ones in LA (which I too frequented, brought back bags of goodies as well as bartered with my cousin in West hollywood to send me things).

I went to the one on Crossville and Roswell Road - perhaps I went too soon...it was not a pleasant trip.

Perhaps I will try again....

I actually concur... the TJ's out on the West Coast (when I lived in L.A.) were far suprerior than any that I've encountered in the Midwest... the one that I used to visit in Chicago was meh, and the two in Michigan that I frequented as a graduate student were deplorable. Still, a deplorable TJ's is much preferable to... well, most grocery stores near me.

Turning blue with baited breath...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I made another escape from the cornfields to Kansas City last weekend, and as I did my shopping around town, I lamented the fact that one of the few things K.C. doesn't have is Trader Joe's. I love Brookside Market, though it's in a different league price-wise. It's 1000 times better than anything we have in Champaign-Urbana. I also hit Costco Sunday morning - which appears to be THE time to go to Costco - whole families were there in their Sunday finest. Trader Joe's has to come to Kansas City eventually... I waited so long for them to arrive in Michigan, and then moved away to another town where I have to live without. I am thrilled with the new store just off Michigan Ave. in Chicago though. They give you one hour free parking, so we can drive over there after we check out of our hotel, and stock up before we hit the road.

Well the chances of you getting a TJ's in KC are about a million times better than TJ's coming to Canada..... Or Chipoltle for that matter.

I'd even take a TJ's in Ft. Lauderdale since we travel there a few times a year.

I have also had the forethought to re-visit the TJ's in Santa Cruz (which is where I always went while visiting my daughter there) .. and then again in San Jose ...

By and large, the TJ's were somewhat better than the new ones here but, all told, I like what has come to our fair city .. and I talk to the people shopping there from time to time and they, too, confirm my beliefs ... I am happy and have located items that I buy repeatedly with pleasure: nuts, dried fruits, soups, olive oils, cheeses, marinara sauces, and produce .. all cheaper and better selections than my local groceries offer ...

I am now on a 'blood orange kick' and they have them every single time I go there ... :wink:gallery_10011_1589_4343.jpg

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

As if I have any say... sigh... the powers that be operate despite piddly folks like me... I inquired about opening a Chipotle franchise here in K.C. about seven years ago - only to be told that that they don't franchise out... in fact, they hadn't even given K.C. a thought.  While I'd like to think I was the person who tipped the Chipotle folks off on the K.C. market (which they seem to be making quite a killing off of), I doubt my "request" had anything to do with their arrival.... sigh...

Not that I'm complaining - we do have D&D, the Better Cheddar and Whole Foods - but Trader Joe's has some of the best value I've ever seen in a semi-specialty mart...

Maybe some Trader Joe's exec will wander across this post?  (Fingers crossed).

u.e.

ROADTRIP!!! :cool: How far is the nearest Trader Joe's? Do you ever pass nearby for any reason?

I was spoiled in Ann Arbor...Trader Joes and Whole Foods about a mile apart, in a town that small? Now I'm in Woodbury, MN, which has Kowalski's, which is pricey like Whole Foods. Knowledgeable staff...I asked a guy in produce there about Spanish onions, cause I was making Mario Barali's recipie for onions in balsamic glaze, which calls for that kind. He explained to me when they would be in season...sheesh, I didn't expect him to know that!

Trader Joes has a lot of neat things that aren't insanely overpriced

Edited by Elrushbo (log)

ROADTRIP!!! :cool: How far is the nearest Trader Joe's? Do you ever pass nearby for any reason?

I was spoiled in Ann Arbor...Trader Joes and Whole Foods about a mile apart, in a town that small? Now I'm in Woodbury, MN, which has Kowalski's, which is pricey like Whole Foods.  Knowledgeable staff...I asked a guy in produce there about Spanish onions, cause I was making Mario Barali's recipie for onions in balsamic glaze, which calls for that kind. He explained to me when they would be in season...sheesh, I didn't expect him to know that!

Trader Joes has a lot of neat things that aren't insanely overpriced

I'll answer on behalf of UE (if I may be so presumptuous). The nearest TJ's are in suburban St. Louis, which is at the extreme eastern edge of Missouri, so the answer is that we're an entire state away (~250 miles).

Yes, you were spoiled in A2! WF, TJ's, Village Corner, Big 10 Party Shop, Merchant of Vino. . .

And I'll echo some of the previous comments about the dumbed-down version of TJ's the midwest seems to get. A mere shadow of those in CA. But I'd still be happy to get one here.

M.F.K. Fisher

Opening March 9th Trader Joes in Templeton, Cali.  This will be the 3rd TJ's within 45 minute driving time of my home.  I'll buy for those of you who have to do without.

Raoul

Thanks for rubbing our depraved Midwest schnozes in your West Coast delights. :hmmm:

:wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

We shopped at the Trader Joe's in Richmond Heights, MO, right next to Clayton, this past October. In was in a strip mall with a World Market and directly across the street from a great Whole Foods. The TJ's was totally mobbed, with shoppers almost frantically whipping through the aisles.

When I used to shop at the Trader Joe's in California some 28 years ago, it was a different experience. I was surprised to see 90% of the items now having the TJ's private label. We bought some very nice balsamic vinegar, organic beans, chocolate and lots of wine. I sure wish a TJ's would open here.

maftoul,

I started another thread when I discovered that they *finally* have a way to request new locations online. There's a link to the request form in the first post on it.

Edited for economy.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

M.F.K. Fisher