• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings in the Northland...Kansas City, that is

ulterior epicure

Driving back from the Masters golf course the other day, along Highway 45, I noticed a new "strip mall" near the I-29 entrance/exit named, without any resemblence to the actual, "Tuileries." In the five second glance I gave it while steering, I noticed two curious establishments that are about to open: Bonefish Grille and a Paradise something-or-another... (not too sure that I'm getting the latter correct).

I have an inkling that I've heard of Bonefish - is this a chain? Anyone have the scoop on either of these?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

bonefish is a chain (figure about anything going into the "Plaza North" is. Haven't heard about Paradise (or anything of the sort) going in up there. My first suspicion is another cheeseburger in paradise, since the one in Village West is packed 24/7 (or however many hours they're open). There's another insidious chain called Paradise Bakery & Cafe that would be my next guess. Neither website has any indication of that, though.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I've only really noticed Pacific Grill when I drive by there. I'll try to find some time to drive down through there tonight or tomorrow to investigate. If you don't see me back here again, it's because they ARE opening up a Cheeseburger in Paradise and when I saw it my head exploded.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

...my bad... pacific, not paradise - i knew it began with a "pa..." like i said, it was a quick side-glance, indeed!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

here you go, UE.

I'm linking the last page of the thread since it's current:

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/inde...?topic=1438.120

great dig! thanks bbqboy.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 2 weeks later...
bonefish is a chain (figure about anything going into the "Plaza North" is.  Haven't heard about Paradise (or anything of the sort) going in up there.  My first suspicion is another cheeseburger in paradise, since the one in Village West is packed 24/7 (or however many hours they're open).  There's another insidious chain called Paradise Bakery & Cafe that would be my next guess.  Neither website has any indication of that, though.

Re: Bonefish. There's a small blurb in the KC Star Dining "Spotlight" section.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

bonefish is a chain (figure about anything going into the "Plaza North" is.  Haven't heard about Paradise (or anything of the sort) going in up there.  My first suspicion is another cheeseburger in paradise, since the one in Village West is packed 24/7 (or however many hours they're open).  There's another insidious chain called Paradise Bakery & Cafe that would be my next guess.  Neither website has any indication of that, though.

Re: Bonefish. There's a small blurb in the KC Star Dining "Spotlight" section.

It doesn't sound too bad, for a chain.... they don't have the overly huge menu of items, like most chains. I'd give it a try!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

• 3 months later...
I was just notified that Pacific Grille (on 45 Highway) has closed?

It's going to get harder for independent restaurants to make it, It's seems like the bulk of the cities in the kansas city area are going after the taxes that the the big guys can bring to the board. I know they bring alot to the areas as far as jobs and taxes. I just hate to see a small guy drop that much into a place and have it go under in less that 10 months, but I've seen the big guy go under just as fast. I guess all is fair in food and love.

It's going to get harder for independent restaurants to make it, It's seems like the bulk of the cities in the kansas city area are going after the taxes that the the big guys can bring to the board. I know they bring alot to the areas as far as jobs and taxes. I just hate to see a small guy drop that much into a place and have it go under in less that 10 months, but I've seen the big guy go under just as fast. I guess all is fair in food and love.

I toatally agree with you. I 99.99% of the time only go to local independant restaurants. I support the KC Origanals and other locally own places. It just breaks my heart to see all of the chains moving in. My sister just got a house in Piper, and she thinks that the Legends is just the greatest thing ever. I just look around and think, "Where is the local places out here?" :unsure: Then oh that right they can not afford to move into these spaces. :hmmm:

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

I toatally agree with you.  I 99.99% of the time only go to local independant restaurants.  I support the KC Origanals and other locally own places.  It just breaks my heart to see all of the chains moving in.  My sister just got a house in Piper, and she thinks that the Legends is just the greatest thing ever.  I just look around and think, "Where is the local places out here?"  :unsure:   Then oh that right they can not afford to move into these spaces.   :hmmm:

Big Country: re: Legends chain restaurants.

What do you mean? I think nestled and tucked amongst the chains is a branch of Arthur Bryant's BBQ... :hmmm::laugh:

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I toatally agree with you. I 99.99% of the time only go to local independant restaurants. I support the KC Origanals and other locally own places. It just breaks my heart to see all of the chains moving in. My sister just got a house in Piper, and she thinks that the Legends is just the greatest thing ever. I just look around and think, "Where is the local places out here?" :unsure: Then oh that right they can not afford to move into these spaces. :hmmm:

We were driving around the Legends area on Sunday to see what all was in there, and my fiance remarked that wouldn't it be great if somebody opened up a shopping area like this but only let independants in! Dream world! I think it's great to see places like Westport where some chains don't last long at all though!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I toatally agree with you.  I 99.99% of the time only go to local independant restaurants.  I support the KC Origanals and other locally own places.  It just breaks my heart to see all of the chains moving in.  My sister just got a house in Piper, and she thinks that the Legends is just the greatest thing ever.  I just look around and think, "Where is the local places out here?"  :unsure:   Then oh that right they can not afford to move into these spaces.   :hmmm:

Big Country: re: Legends chain restaurants.

What do you mean? I think nestled and tucked amongst the chains is a branch of Arthur Bryant's BBQ... :hmmm::laugh:

u.e.

kansas city has a hard time defining chains, I remember when town topic had 12 restaurants in town and herdford house has 6 or so and grozzo's has 6 or seven. to me it's anything over two or can't fall under one LLC. The chains have become sneeky they open in selective markets usally no more than two stores under the same name i.e. outback= bonefish, caraba's, cheese burgers in paradise so the bulk, of the customers think they are semi small and the kicker is the food critics and tv stations all pump them up. I can't count how many times i've yardhouse cooking on a weekend show.

Slight tangent: LaMar's Donuts originated in KC. Until this year, I thought they were still exclusive in KC - BOY WAS I WRONG!!

Personally, I prefer my Ray's Donuts on Vivion Road in the Northland. It's not close to my home at all, but I'll get up at 6am to make a special detour there before heading out for the day just for the blueberry cake donuts.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Slight tangent: LaMar's Donuts originated in KC.  Until this year, I thought they were still exclusive in KC - BOY WAS I WRONG!! 

Personally, I prefer my Ray's Donuts on Vivion Road in the Northland.  It's not close to my home at all, but I'll get up at 6am to make a special detour there before heading out for the day just for the blueberry cake donuts.

u.e.

mmm... we should start a donut thread! :wub:

I think I've made my feelings about chains abundantly clear on these boards. I will, however, point out that it's telling when the monkfish and I agree so strongly about something. :wink:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

That’s why I think its sooooo important to be flexible. You have to, have to, have to, be customer focused. I think that’s one of the reasons we have such strong regulars. You have to be willing to give the customer what the chains won’t. We do that with food, service, creativity and genuine personality. We try to make people think that our place is KC’s restaurant. We even have a family who are so difficult to deal with that the have been banned from most local restaurants. I will do anything to keep them coming here. The father even calls me out of the blue and asks me to cook him special dishes! I always do it. I consider it a challenge to try to make everyone happy. AND BELIVE ME IT’S HARD!!!!

I hate the chains. So I say f*** em. Just beat them at their own game :biggrin::raz:

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

I think I've made my feelings about chains abundantly clear on these boards.  I will, however, point out that it's telling when the monkfish and I agree so strongly about something.  :wink:

Yes, but let's remember that not everyone has all the options that Kansas City does.

We even have a family who are so difficult to deal with that the have been banned from most local restaurants.

I swear to god it's not us!

I just sigh inwardly when I go to pick up my kid and see the parking lot at the new Bonefish/Cheeseburger in Paradise absolutely packed (as well as the Ted's). And then gently steer my neighbors to 40, Sushi House, or Cassis since they whinge about the city being too far to drive into. What is it about people thinking 25 minutes in a car is a Haj?

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

We even have a family who are so difficult to deal with that the have been banned from most local restaurants.

I swear to god it's not us!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

That’s why I think its sooooo important to be flexible. You have to, have to, have to, be customer focused. I think that’s one of the reasons we have such strong regulars. You have to be willing to give the customer what the chains won’t. We do that with food, service, creativity and genuine personality. We try to make people think that our place is KC’s restaurant. We even have a family who are so difficult to deal with that the have been banned from most local restaurants. I will do anything to keep them coming here. The father even calls me out of the blue and asks me to cook him special dishes! I always do it. I consider it a challenge to try to make everyone happy. AND BELIVE ME IT’S HARD!!!!

I hate the chains. So I say f*** em. Just beat them at their own game  :biggrin:  :raz:

So I guess I just need to be more difficult to get what I want at your place? Oh, wait, I couldn't be more difficult. I guess I was just ahead of the curve. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

• 5 months later...

The banner strung across the former Yia Yia's Northland (nee Paradise Grill) reads "Thai Place Opening Soon!"

And, as most people know, Briarcliff Village boasts the new Piropos and Trezo Mare as well as a soon-to-open venture by our own Tim Doolittle. And, if anyone's remotely curious, there's a new Latte Land there too...

Of even lesser significance, joining Bonefish Grill at the Tuileries development (Louis takes another roll-over in le grave) along 64th Street, are Taco Bell, Caribou Coffee and Haagen Dazs. Commercial civilization strikes the Northland!

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account