• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto late night options

Endy'

looking for hot tips on eating out late -- the later, the better. I mostly patronize Swatow, but I have made use of 7 West and Mel's too. Czehowski sounded like a great late-night option, but they (or at least their staff) seem to be highly confused about the hours that they're open and whether they are serving food or not. Hero Burgers are actually pretty good but only open late on weekends, and there's a lot of drunk-dodging that needs to be done (on the other hand, that applies to Swatow on the weekends too).

any suggestions? Downtown is best, but I'm not against driving uptown for food when the need arises.

other options I've tried, but try to avoid, include Vesta Lunch and this Korean place on the north side of Bloor just east of Christie (we call it "the Owl" for a picture thereof on its sign, but I don't know what its name really is or should be).

I swung by 65 Degrees Steakhouse last night but they were dark in spite of advertising being open to 2am. There was even a sign on the door of Coco Lezzone (sp?) (who are closed for a few days due to a LLBO violation) saying "please join us at 65 Degrees Steakhouse ------>", so that made it even more odd. Anyone know what's going on there?

Scraping the bottom of the barrel (in my opinion), most Chinatown restaurants along the Spadina strip (New Ho King, etc.) are generally open until the early morning (4 am or so). Be prepared for MSG, large club crowds, and "cold tea."

Sometimes, however, Shanghai noodles with an extra side of monosodium glutamate are just what the doctor ordered.

Isn't there a place on Richmond that opened specifically to cater to the after hours crowd looking for a decent nosh? I'm thinking around Spadina-ish. I read about it, but don't know if it ever opened. Or if it did, whether it survived/s. From what I recall, it didn't even open 'til midnight or possibly later. And, my guess is only Thurs - Sat. Anybody?

cheers,

Geoff Ruby

There is nothing wrong with a little MSG now and again.

I fully recommend Happy 7 on Spadina myself...

It is full of restaurant industry folks stupendously inebriated at 5am after a certain afterhours nearby...

It's a gong show.

And a complete hoot.

Toronto Life should do a feature...

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

A new find for my family as our old joint (Peter's Chung King) has really gone down hill as of late; New Sky - Spadina just south of college...wow.

All I will say is WOW.

Sadistick, that's not nice, you have to say more than WOW! :raz: Seriously, you've got me terribly curious now as we frequent that area more often than perhaps we should. Please tell us more, including what you enjoyed so much.

To add my comments to Endy's question, for late night food I have a terrible weakness for crispy ginger spicy beef at Rol San on Spadina or souvlaki's from the Danforth, often Omonia as they seem to always grill them fresh rather than just reheat them.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel (in my opinion), most Chinatown restaurants along the Spadina strip (New Ho King, etc.) are generally open until the early morning (4 am or so). Be prepared for MSG, large club crowds, and "cold tea."
Thought this was a bit funny - had no idea that the (hush, hush - whisper please) 'cold tea' thing was so well known that you'd mention it just like that. Jeez. From what I know, that was big secret 10 years ago.
Sometimes, however, Shanghai noodles with an extra side of monosodium glutamate are just what the doctor ordered.
Probably true. Very true. Aside from 'It causes headaches' I've always kinda wondered what the problem was with MSG, and so - for your info - did a websearch and came up with this ominous paragraph:

'MSG is a food additive that enhances flavors in food. It virtually has no flavor of its own, but neurologically causes people to experience a more intense flavor from the foods that they eat containing the substance. To millions of consumers, it means experiencing an adverse effect from the additive and possible adverse health effects in the future. To the food industry, it means increased profits, a simple way to balance taste in a product line and mask unwanted tastes, and to make otherwise unpalatable foods acceptable. In particular, MSG helps replace flavor lost by elimination of fat in many low-fat and no-fat foods.'

(See http://www.price-pottenger.org/Articles/MSG.html)

Sounds like a 'wonder product'!

Edited by KevV (log)

[sounds like a 'wonder product'!

Funnily enough, my wife got an email yesterday titled "MSG - Poison", which went on and on about how msg is making us obese. Perhaps msg will become the new trans-fat?

And the cold tea thing - I didn't know the Spadina restos did that. We always went to Dundas behind city hall back in the day.

(While I'm on a tangent - Kev, where'd your avatar go? I thought it was Sammy Davis Jr. at first!)

OK, back to the topic of the thread.

Last weekend I ended up going to La Hacienda on Queen near Bathurst. For years they kept the kitchen open til at least midnight, maybe even last call. Well, no more. The kitchen closed at 11. We ended up staying for drinks, then they kicked us (and everyone else) out around mignight. It was slow, but sheesh.

So, I'm not sure in the Queen / Bathurst area where to go that's open late and serves drinks too. (Maybe Shanghai Cowgirl? Does the Queen'shead keep its kitchen open late? Squirly's? But if you're on Squirly's patio, try and keep it down so my kid can sleep. Ok? Not really even joking here.)

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

A new find for my family as our old joint (Peter's Chung King) has really gone down hill as of late; New Sky - Spadina just south of college...wow.

All I will say is WOW.

Sadistick, that's not nice, you have to say more than WOW! :raz: Seriously, you've got me terribly curious now as we frequent that area more often than perhaps we should. Please tell us more, including what you enjoyed so much.

To add my comments to Endy's question, for late night food I have a terrible weakness for crispy ginger spicy beef at Rol San on Spadina or souvlaki's from the Danforth, often Omonia as they seem to always grill them fresh rather than just reheat them.

Well since you asked so nicely...Although I will start off by stating that you are in trouble, especially if you have a soft spot for crispy ginger beef...as they made that dish there to PERFECTION - Their hot and sour soup is now my #2 favourite in the city behind Lei Wah Heen, and their General Tsao chicken was out of this world, so unique and tastey.

The best thing about their dishes is that the chicken or beef was crispy, coated in sauce but the key thing...not SWIMMING in sauce!

Oh, and I hear their soft shell crab is outstanding as well!

There....happy now, Jake? :raz:

Very, Sadistick. Thank you. You make an excellent point about these dishes not swimming in sauce, it ruins the dish in my opinion. Sounds like a trip there is in order in the near future. I will try to remember my camera for a few photos. I tried just keeping it in the car for awhile, but we always seemed to be using the other car when I wanted it, lol.

I love the Hot & Sour soup at Happy 7. I've recently been told their frog legs are awesome, but haven't tried them yet. Frog legs sounds like great late night food to me!

Yah...Frogs legs, another on my list of Wont Eat's - - If its Digi camera, I wouldnt recomment keeping it for periods in the car in this weather, as temperature change can fuck with a digital camera, and sometimes seriously damage it.

Totally agree about it being key that there is no excessive sauce...

Hopefully after you go there I will still be batting 1000 on my recommendations on this site :)

Isn't there a place on Richmond that opened specifically to cater to the after hours crowd looking for a decent nosh? I'm thinking around Spadina-ish. I read about it, but don't know if it ever opened. Or if it did, whether it survived/s. From what I recall, it didn't even open 'til midnight or possibly later. And, my guess is only Thurs - Sat. Anybody?

that sounds like Room 471, which I went looking for last year and couldn't find, and information on the 'web about it is pretty scarce. I presume they are long gone.

Nondoc -- thanks for the tip about Happy Seven, I'll have to give it a try if only for the entertainment value. All the other suggestions about Spadina Chinese are appreciated but I eat enough Chinese food for lunch (and at home), so I'm looking to branch out a bit. But...reality probably doesn't leave me much choice.

on the subject of "cold tea", I was aware of it (at least 1 Toronto Life review has specifically recommended "cold tea") but have never witnessed it in action. We tried to order soju after-hours once and they said no, but I'm thinking if we'd asked in Korean, they would've been happy to bring us some in a teapot ;)

Edited by Endy' (log)

that sounds like Room 471, which I went looking for last year and couldn't find, and information on the 'web about it is pretty scarce. I presume they are long gone.

Yeah, pretty sure Room 471 is what I was thinking of. Guess it didn't last too long.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

...on the subject of "cold tea", I was aware of it (at least 1 Toronto Life review has specifically recommended "cold tea") but have never witnessed it in action. We tried to order soju after-hours once and they said no, but I'm thinking if we'd asked in Korean, they would've been happy to bring us some in a teapot ;)
You must be talking about things in Korea Town, BloorW then. Koreans aren't into teapots and tea like the Chinese so the tea/beer connection isn't so likely. However, I remember that you could order surreptitious after-hour beers in 2 BloorW karaoke ('nore-bang') Korean places back in the 90's. Good fun. You could also bring in your own, if you'd planned ahead, too. At least one of the 2 places doesn't exist anymore, I've noticed.

Yah...Frogs legs, another on my list of Wont Eat's - - If its  Digi camera, I wouldnt recomment keeping it for periods in the car in this weather, as temperature change can fuck with a digital camera, and sometimes seriously damage it.

Totally agree about it being key that there is no excessive sauce...

Hopefully after you go there I will still be batting 1000 on my recommendations on this site :)

Whoa, sadistick, you are starting to have a pretty long list of won't eats. :raz:

So, we went for a little late night (okay, 9ish, not so late :rolleyes: ) meal at New Sky last night. My SO wanted to go to one of our regular places but I said no, that this was an eG rec!!! We followed your choices on the menu and I will document it (I remembered the camera) on it's own thread later today when I can get the photos done....including whether or not I think you're batting 1000 :raz:

Hahaha, sorry, If my list of 3 or 4 things (monkey brain, chicken feet, frogs legs, haggis) is getting long then so be it! But I'm sorry, NONE of those things have any appetizing attributes!

So what, you trying to make me nervous, Jake? Hehehe...Lookin forward to the writeup!

Last night I was at the bball game (was given coutside seats!!!) and had a BBQ Pork sandwich which was surprisingly good, very moist and tastey sauce! Too bad we lost in OT!

Edited by sadistick (log)

Courtside seats offer some edible food, I agree. The regular kiosks are on MY list of inedible things tho!

Is Phil's bbq still open late for bbq pork sannies?

As for inedibles, I would have agreed with you about some of this at one point in my life, but I realized if I tried it, I might be pleasantly surprised. My list of inedibles? One thing I can think of: brussel sprouts. Weird, huh? Doesn't matter how many times I cook or try to eat them, spawn of the devil they are.

Brussel sprouts? Jeez, I was practically raised on them. My oma (ie. grandma) would just boil them, melt a bit of butter and add some nutmeg.

Anyway, Sadstick. You say you don't like 'em. Fine. Best to agree with Big Jake if you know what's good for you! :rolleyes:

Ah, Doc - you had to bring up haggis. Here goes that craving again. Guess I'll have to make a stop there this weekend! (Nope, no brussel sprouts, not with butter, maples syrup, bacon, shredded, fried or boiled. blech.)