• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Bread Pudding In NJ?

bgut1

My wife loves bread pudding (chocolate, banana, you name it) and I am having difficulty finding restaurants that serve a good rendition for dessert. Any suggestions? So far the best I've tasted out of NYC, was a white chocolate bread pudding at Food For Thought in Marlton.

I think I saw some fresh, delicious bread pudding once in Whole Foods you may want to check their deli area or the deli area of something like Market Basket or Abma's Farm. I got a great Noodle Kugel at Whole Foods so goodluck! :laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Truth be told, I've never had a good bread pudding in a restaurant in NJ. I always thought I hated bread pudding until I went to New Orleans for the first time and had a good one. I've learned how to make it and now I make a pretty good one (I use Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Raisin swirl bread, cut it up and let it sit out to dry out before adding custard). But somehow, all the bread puddings I've had outside Louisiana have been square dense hockey pucks with too sweet a sauce. If any restaurant should have a good version, I suspect Silver Oak Bistro's would be good, but I don't think they had it on the menu last time we were there. I'm hereby suggesting it to Chef Gary. I think chefs from the south don't think if making it here because it seems such an everyday type of dessert, something to use up old bread. But a good version would be such a treat. The main trick, IMO, is to use plenty of custard and to soak it for at least several hours before baking. I don't even want a sauce on a bread pudding that is truly a pudding.

Truth be told, I've never had a good bread pudding in a restaurant in NJ. I always thought I hated bread pudding until I went to New Orleans for the first time and had a good one. I've learned how to make it and now I make a pretty good one (I use Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Raisin swirl bread, cut it up and let it sit out to dry out before adding custard). But somehow, all the bread puddings I've had outside Louisiana have been square dense hockey pucks with too sweet a sauce. If any restaurant should have a good version, I suspect Silver Oak Bistro's would be good, but I don't think they had it on the menu last time we were there. I'm hereby suggesting it to Chef Gary. I think chefs from the south don't think if making it here because it seems such an everyday type of dessert, something to use up old bread. But a good version would be such a treat. The main trick, IMO, is to use plenty of custard and to soak it for at least several hours before baking. I don't even want a sauce on a bread pudding that is truly a pudding.

Rachel - I believe bread puddings are like souffles; not too complicated but difficult to execute well. Done right, they are the perfect comfort dessert. I agree with your point about sauces, however, a nice caramel sauce or crème anglaise drizzled on top always does the trick for me.

One of the best bread puddings I have had was the chocolate bread pudding at Blue Sky Cafe, Montclair. That restaurant has closed.

However, I can highly recommend the savory Vidalia onion bread pudding drizzled with thyme oil and the pistachio praline bread pudding with a caramel sauce served at Fascino, Montclair. Actually, I can recommend every dessert made by Chef Cynthia DePersio!

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Hmm, that reminds me, there is a savory bread pudding served at Silver Oak Bistro with the lamb dish. Apparently, many people like it and they get very good comments about it (so it isn't going to change), but I found it too rich and heavy. It is made with croissants, I believe.

I took a touristy cooking class during my first visit to New Orleans and asked the chef about using beignets or croissants in bread pudding and he said not to. That you should use the day old dried out french loaves as a first choice, and if not available (i.e. you don't live there) to use any stale bread, but BREAD not pastry with a high fat content, and it needs to be dried out and stale. The bread is there as a matrix for the custard and shouldn't detract from it. I only use the cinnamon raisin swirl bread because otherwise I'd need to add spices and raisins to my bread pudding, and I can get it cheap at a day old bread store. This way I just cut up & dry out the bread, make the custard the next day, mix the two, allow it to soak overnight, then bake. Very easy ingredient list that way.

One of the best bread puddings I have had was the chocolate bread pudding at Blue Sky Cafe, Montclair.  That restaurant has closed.

However, I can highly recommend the savory Vidalia onion bread pudding drizzled with thyme oil and the pistachio praline bread pudding with a caramel sauce served at Fascino, Montclair. Actually, I can recommend every dessert made by Chef Cynthia DePersio!

Rosie - I've always wanted to try Fascino. I guess this may be reason enough to go. Thanks for the recommendation.

bgut1, I don't know where in the state you live, but you might want to consider going to Drew's Bayshore Bistro, in Keyport, where chef/owner Drew Araneo is serving excellent Creole/Cajun cuisine. The last time we had dinner there, we had the bread pudding for dessert. It was delicious. I'm not sure if it's always on the menu, so it's best to call to check.

Drew's Bayshore Bistro

58 Broad Street, Keyport

Tel.: 732-739-9219

Chocolate Bread pudding (a la Picnic) is pretty easy to make and if you can't find it out, make it in!

day old baguette

chocolate ganache (melt chocolate and heavy cream until it is creamy and rich)

I like to add a custard (3 egg yolks to 8 oz heavy cream)

add the custard to the ganache (temper it first by adding a dibble of ganache to the custard so it doesnt turn into scrambled eggs)

once you've got the chocolate goodness, simply add the bread, cubed or, as I do, just ripped into pieces.

Bake in a hot water bath for about 15 minutes. I personally add chipotle pepper to the ganache for a little flair, completely optional. Enjoy it!

Now I must say chocolate bread pudding sounds damn good but I am fond of mine also...Asst fruit danish preferably from Shoprite 2 days old and the custard...NO SUGAR ...well maybe a little on top

The fruit swirls from the danish make it soo good and each piece is a different flavor.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

bgut1, I don't know where in the state you live, but you might want to consider going to Drew's Bayshore Bistro, in Keyport, where chef/owner Drew Araneo is serving excellent Creole/Cajun cuisine.  The last time we had dinner there, we had the bread pudding for dessert.  It was delicious.  I'm not sure if it's always on the menu, so it's best to call to check.

Drew's Bayshore Bistro

58 Broad Street, Keyport

Tel.:  732-739-9219

I'm in Monmouth County. Keyport isn't too far away. Thanks.

Chocolate Bread pudding (a la Picnic) is pretty easy to make and if you can't find it out, make it in!

day old baguette

chocolate ganache (melt chocolate and heavy cream until it is creamy and rich)

I like to add a custard (3 egg yolks to 8 oz heavy cream)

add the custard to the ganache (temper it first by adding a dibble of ganache to the custard so it doesnt turn into scrambled eggs)

once you've got the chocolate goodness, simply add the bread, cubed or, as I do, just ripped into pieces.

Bake in a hot water bath for about 15 minutes. I personally add chipotle pepper to the ganache for a little flair, completely optional. Enjoy it!

Wow - sounds great. The ganache sounds a bit scary but I will make an attempt. Thank you.

One of the best bread puddings I have had was the chocolate bread pudding at Blue Sky Cafe, Montclair.  That restaurant has closed.

i still miss Blue Sky, and especially the bread pudding. :sad:

but a while ago, Rosie was nice enough to procure the recipe for me :smile:

click here and scroll down

thanks again, Rosie!

PS: i recently had a really good banana bread pudding at The Blue Pig in Cape May.

i still miss Blue Sky, and especially the bread pudding. :sad:

but a while ago, Rosie was nice enough to procure the recipe for me :smile:

click here and scroll down

thanks again, Rosie!

PS: i recently had a really good banana bread pudding at The Blue Pig in Cape May.

I ditto the bread putting at Blue Sky. I very rarely ever order dessert but I could never resist having some there and yes, I also miss this place.

Hank

Last night, WTC, myself and a friend celebrated Mardi Gras at Silver Oaks Bistro. One of their special desserts was a Peach Bread Pudding with brandy sauce. It was great! The bread pudding was moist, soft, not very sweet. We hope to see it again amongst the desserts in the near future.

Also, the new spring menu has some great new offerings.

I had the baby back ribs last night. I order them whenever they are offered as a special. Love that bbq sauce.

Nice to see the Feygins again too!

Ahh Sunday night I hosted a small dinner party at Silver Oak (Ridgewood) -- one of the desserts we ordered, was an outstanding warm, Peach Bread Pudding.

(The sweet potato pecan pie was also a winner!)

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler