• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

serrano ham

aznsailorboi

Hello, I'm having a party on saturday. I bought some serrano ham from the deli but wasnt sure what to pair it with on a canape style stuff. fruit? cheese? veggie?

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Hello, I'm having a party on saturday. I bought some serrano ham from the deli but wasnt sure what to pair it with on a canape style stuff. fruit? cheese? veggie?

Nothing better than slices of serrano ham next to triangles of manchego cheese and some slices of quince paste (membrillo). In Spain, that would come with miniature breadsticks. Serrano ham also tastes delicious layered over toasted or grilled bread that's been rubbed with a raw garlic clove, the guts of a very ripe tomato and some olive oil.

Marinated/blanched or grilled asparagus spears to wrap the ham around.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

thanks for responding guys.

KatyM I'm intruiged by your suggestion, I would like to try that. where do I get quince paste and manchego cheese? whole foods? trader joe's?

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

whole foods will have both manchego and quince paste. trader joe's carries manchego, but i don't think it's fabulous, and as far as i've seen, no quince paste.

the other night i chopeed the last leftover serrano ham bits, and sauteed them (augmented with a little olive oil) with some greens (collard, mustard--the trader joe's bagged blend) and white beans....it was tasty! (oh--added a pinch of crushed chile flakes.)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

thank you thank you thank you....I'll do a test run on thursday on all the stuff that i'd be making, and would also post pics.

any other ideas for hor d'oeuvres? just toss em at me!

I had some serrano and manchego hanging around from a tapas class I taught recently, so last night I made a risotto for dinner and added the ham, the cheese and a mess of frozen peas. It was most excellent!

Serrano is also a perfect addition to bechamel fritters, if you want to make something more complicated.

BTW, membrillo is often available in Hispanic markets, or mixed in with Hispanic foods in mainstream markets. I think Goya makes a quince paste that comes in a round, flat can. I bought both the manchego cheese and the serrano ham I used for my class at Trader Joe's.

i'll try trader joe's

Malawry.. thanks for refreshing my memory, i knew i saw "membrillo" somewhere but i can't remember where, until you mentioned hispanic groceries. thanks again.

msfoodie.. I have access to quail eggs. so what do i do with it?

Add me to the serrano-manchego-mebrillo fan club! It's a great combination!

If you can't find manchego, another choice is istara. Our cheese shop (Northern Waters Smokehaus, Duluth, Minnesota) often carries istara even when the manchego has run out. They're similarly made, and quite similar in taste. I think the istara is made the same way but in a different location.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

msfoodie.. I have access to quail eggs. so what do i do with it?

We just put the ham on a crostini rubbed with a bit of garlic, then fry the quail eggs and put one on top of the ham, a little drizzle of good olive oil, a spinkle of chopped parsely and you are set. quail eggs are great conversation makers I've found.

think meditarranean: figs, rosemary, most sharp cheeses, olives... in fact, most fruit goes well with serrano. Yes, watermelon, but also melon and even mango. Scallops and shrimp go well wrapped in serrano. So does asparagus. Goes great with eggs (like soft boiled eggs) and potatoes. I also like it on top of toast with aioli.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español