• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim Sum takeout in North Jersey?

MJP

One of my fondest memories from growing up was the Saturday morning dim sum takeout from Young Young out on 46. I forget where it was exactly, but it was a tiny little Chinese market that was put out of business by Maxim's, now Top Quality Food Market. The latter does decent dishes, but I miss shumai, steamed buns, etc. Basically, I want to get dim sum that's as close to what you can get in Chinatown for take-out.

Young Young used to send a truck into Chinatown early on Saturdays and it came back loaded with dim sum. Are there any places that do that anymore? The closer to Lyndhurst, the better, but I'd rather not head out to the one place near the Lincoln Park train station for a weekly dim sum run. :-/

Bonus question: aside from Hunan Cottage, does anyone know where I can go to get some xiao lun pao/pork soup dumplings? I don't care if they're frozen or fresh, it'd be a coup if I could find some that I could keep at home.

Edited by MJP (log)

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Wow - it's just too funny that you posted this today. Last night I took out dim sum, uncooked, and steamed them at home.

I got them from a restaurant called China Garden in Clifton (which I had learned about here on eGullet) - they have Dim Sum on the weekends only. They don't specifically have a dim-sum takeout program, but when I asked if I could do it, they said "why not?", so I picked up the various things raw, and steamed them myself. It was late in the day when I thought of this, and they were out of most of the things I wanted, but I came away pretty good. For what it's worth, we really wanted Siu Mai (one of the things they were out of) so I stopped by China Chef in Secaucus on my way home, and they sold me the uncooked ones to steam myself. So basically, I think that any place that has Dim Sum will do this.

One of my fondest memories from growing up was the Saturday morning dim sum takeout from Young Young out on 46.  I forget where it was exactly, but it was a tiny little Chinese market that was put out of business by Maxim's, now Top Quality Food Market.  The latter does decent dishes, but I miss shumai, steamed buns, etc.  Basically, I want to get dim sum that's as close to what you can get in Chinatown for take-out. 

Young Young used to send a truck into Chinatown early on Saturdays and it came back loaded with dim sum.  Are there any places that do that anymore?  The closer to Lyndhurst, the better, but I'd rather not head out to the one place near the Lincoln Park train station for a weekly dim sum run.  :-/

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Thanks! I would much rather go to an actual Chinese place rather than Mitsuwa or Han Ah Reum for frozen dumplings (not to say that both don't have delicious dumplings, although the ones at HAR have no MSG and more variety) rather than steam them myself. I'll check those out!

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Take a trip up to Englewood and stock up your freezer with a few varieties from Mandoo Inc. Technically, they are Korean dumplings, but they steam up in a couple minutes in the microwave, and they have a fabulous shrimp siu mai, wrapped in a web of skinny noodles, rather than a sheet of wonton skin. They also have excellent spring rolls, that heat up crisply in a toaster oven. Not exactly fresh takeout (although you can get the dumpling of the day fresh from the steamer), but handy in a dim sum emergency!

One step ahead of you, Rachel; I just ran up to Han Ah Reum this weekend and snagged a bag of the shrimp dumplings. Next time I'll go for the siu mai, but I still miss all the other stuff... fish cakes unlike what Mitsuwa and HAR carry, fresh steamed buns... *sigh* It's been so long that I've actually forgotten most of the dim sum stuff I used to love. :-(

Re Soup Dumplings:

I've had two batches in the last month at Old Soochow, and they was as good as what I remember from Joe's Shanghai in NYC (except the other food and service was better at Old Soochow). The Shanghainese couple who introduced us to the place with said the food was quite authentic - assuming you order the Shainghainese specialties. I recommend you solicit the waiter's recommendations for authentic Shanghai food.

They have a variety of cold Shanghainese appetizer dishes that would be very suitable for takeout. They don't have dim-sum though, which is cantonese. I'm against the idea of takeout dim-sum, however, because its the kind of food that usually needs to be eaten warm and usually suffers from re-heating.

Old Soochow, 165 Rt. 46 West, Saddle Brook, NJ 07663 - about 2 miles away from exit 157 off the Garden St Pkwy

Yeah It's been a while but I'd like to get back to Soochow soon.

Andrew makes a good point. You can get take out dim sum from Silver Pond or Dim Sum Dynasty, or buy it from King Fong which has "fresh" dim sum that it trucks in on Saturdays. But it does lose something in the translation.

I will still do it because I am a dumpling freak(hence the name). But even in time between when it is made fresh specifically for you as opposed to the weekend when it may be sitting on a cart for one or two cycles, a little something is lost. For example to me the char siu bao I had at the Dynasty was transcendent on the weekday that we got it right out of the kitchen for us. And slightly less then transcendent when on the cart. So add another couple of hours and that is a significant difference.

I hear you loud and clear, dumpling. A trip to Triple Eight Palace is in the very near future for the GF and I. Until then, where is King Fong located?

I hear you loud and clear, dumpling.  A trip to Triple Eight Palace is in the very near future for the GF and I.  Until then, where is King Fong located?

King Fung is located on 470 Kinderkamack Road in River Edge, close to Hackensack. They truck in Dim Sum from Chinatown early on Saturdays & Sundays. Get there before 11am & you should have a good selection of Dim Sum & congee. They also have a cook to order & prepared takeout kitchen. I usually order their stir fried shanghai noodle w. shredded pork & the stir fried rice cakes. Pretty tasty substitute if I'm too lazy to go to Goody's or Yeah Shanghai in chinatown or even Old Soochow & China46.

Irongut: good call on King Fung, but they were further up Kinderkamack; I think it was 625, but it wasn't far from 470. :-P

Good call on getting there early; we just got dim sum things (including some incredibly delicious flaky things with pork in them; I have never had a croissant that matches these things in my life) but next time, that takeout kitchen looks pretty tasty! It was only about 20 minutes from my house, so it's up there.

Glad you were able to get there, MJP.

Good to get there early, better selection and wouldn't be sitting out as long.

The hot dog buns are ok if they have those. They also have frozen stuff.

The kitchen stuff is good; try some of the buns-they have pork and vegetable buns. I like the shanghai bok choy and some of their other hot selections. And of course you can get some of the roast meat stuff too.

Not a bad place to have around. <s>

Ok I went for DIm SUm in NY with friends... As I am a newbie I would like to get some for take out and do at home..... But being a novice I dont know the names... I see from the board therre must be a place in Lincoln Park which is near where I live.

Can you give me some suggestions of things I could steam and try at home. Alsoo any dipping sauces...

Thanks

Tracey

I used to get quickie dim sum from King Fung too but I was never all that impressed. I don't mean to offend anyone who likes it, but it's just ok. Ever since Dim Sum Dynasty opened up in Ridgewood though, I'm practically there every other weekend for the dim sum. And of course you can order it to take away too any time. I can't help but rave about them. Don't forgo dinner there. The stuff is like going to Hong Kong. Yum...

Basically I agree with you, wilson. I think any time sitting out tends to not be helpful. That said, if you have a jones for it, King Fung has it and it's not bad, as long as you get to it early.

The hot things behind the counter are better in my opinion than the dim sum sitting out.

In any event the fresh dim sum at Dynasty or Silver Pond are definitely better. You been to Siler Pond, Wilson?

Oh yes. Dynasty for dinner is great. Some tasty and interesting stuff.

Dumpling,

I agree that the hot stuff at King Fung is better but then, it's not dim sum. ha ha. You certainly won't get the food sticking to the paper containers. ;) I've noticed that if you go too early, not all the goods have arrived. It's been a while since I did a dim sum run there but I believe the magic hour is around 11 or 11:30 am. The thing about them is they are a mix of styles so you've got the Cantonese and northern (Taiwanese I think?) dim sum foods together on the shelves and in the hot section. Not like it really matters I guess.

It's been ages since I went to Silver Pond. They're just not what they used to be. The manager was rude even though the guy knew us as regulars. I also keep seeing them being cited for health inspection violations in the Record. For the price versus the quality and atmosphere? I don't bother anymore. Plus it's a 1/2 hour hike for me. For a while, I went to Joy Luck in Montclair but thats a trek. Have you been or is that not considered northern NJ?

Dim Sum Dynasty has been slowly expanding their selection (both dim sum and regular menu), and I've been told some new stuff will be available in the near future due to lots of requests. My family goes so often, we're on a first name basis with the staff but the service has always been good regardless.

Oh, there's a place in Montvale on Chestnut Ridge Rd called Canton Gourmet. At least that's what it was called the last time I had gone. I never was ecstatic about them but it was local and edible. They may have improved since I went last like...2 years ago especially because they were getting more packed. Anyone know? I've done take out from there on the weekends. From my dated experience, King Fung was better than this place.

"Oh, there's a place in Montvale on Chestnut Ridge Rd called Canton Gourmet. At least that's what it was called the last time I had gone. I never was ecstatic about them but it was local and edible. They may have improved since I went last like...2 years ago especially because they were getting more packed. Anyone know? I've done take out from there on the weekends. From my dated experience, King Fung was better than this place."

This is a place I like alot. It gets real packed around 12:30 on the weekends (when they have Dim Sum). Its very much like going to Chinatown in that you might find yourself sharing a table. They have carts and everything is very fresh. The selection is decent and they have takeout.

The regular menu is quite good also. It looks like a suburban chinese menu, but there are many hidden treasures in it. This is a place that's worth a try.

BTY In the same shopping center is a wonderful Sushi restuarant called Gen, but that's anouther story.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I used to get quickie dim sum from King Fung too but I was never all that impressed. I don't mean to offend anyone who likes it, but it's just ok. Ever since Dim Sum Dynasty opened up in Ridgewood though, I'm practically there every other weekend for the dim sum. And of course you can order it to take away too any time. I can't help but rave about them. Don't forgo dinner there. The stuff is like going to Hong Kong. Yum...

No offense taken, I was just making a suggestion for a quick fix takeout of Dim Sum at a local market if one had the urge. I have to try Dim Sum Dynasty. We live a few towns away in Hackensack so it would be real convenient. We used to go to China Garden in Clifton (no carts/Order dim sum on Menu) & China Chef in Secaucus if we didn't feel like treking to chinatown.