• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Chocolaterie Tour

ComeUndone

Despite the chilly temperature last weekend, I visited 9 chocolateries in four hours. You can read more about my tour route and tasting notes here:

http://wscwong.blogs.friendster.com/desser...to_chocola.html

Enjoy!

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

I'm jealous! What a delicious way to spend a weekend.

I too am a big fan of JSbonbons, I think she has very good control of the technical aspects of the chocolates, and she also brings very exciting flavours to play. I particularly like her ginger cardamom caramel.

Other than Soma, which I must get out to try some time, any other artisanal cholateries that you would recommend?

Thanks for posting about your tour!

Simon

Wow! Thanks for bringing back memories of my old haunts of TO!. I used to live in the Manulife Centre building and often walked by Eitelbach's. Their Treecake Truffle is just out of this world. I also used to work for Stubbe's in Ottawa before moving to TO after attending LCB. You must go back and have a piece of cake and coffee. Heinrich's son Daniel runs the Toronto location. And when they're selling it in shop, you must try their version of Baumkuchen. Heinrich has an authentic baumkuchen maker up and running in Ottawa. My favorite is the one dipped in milk chocolate. :wub:

What a great way to spend the day! I'm thinking I should do this in Amsterdam. But I'll invite someone over to help me finish all that chocolate!

That's interesting about the manon, Belgian chocolate. That style of bonbon is very common in The Netherlands as well.

• 1 month later...

Now that all of my chocolate/truffles are long gone, I decided that SOMA is still my favourite. However, although not quite local, the Thomas Hass chocolate from Sen5es are also very good. It is actually my fall-back hostess gift when I don't know what to get. Along with JS Bonbons, these are my favourites available in Toronto.

As a somewhat follow up to this chocolate tour, I have finished reading The Chocolate Connoiseur and got into the whole world of chocolate tasting. So far, I find the best sources for purchasing chocolate bars are SOMA and The Cheese Boutique. Both carry a good selection of products from different chocolatiers including single-estate or single-origin bars. However, the price at SOMA is usually a better deal.

Click here for a complete list of where I source my chocolate in Toronto.

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

• 4 months later...