• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory Oatmeal

dockhl

Don't know how soon your meal is, but I copied down a recipe out of the NYTimes for an oatmeal- infused vodka. Haven't started it yet, but the idea is a hoot. Here's the gist:

Oats and Honey Vodka

Adapted from Blue Hill at Stone Barns

1 liter premium vodka

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

1 cup mild honey

Combine the vodka and oats in a glass jar with a tight lid. Put in a cool, dark place for 3 days, shaking thoroughly once each day. After 3 days, strain the vodka through cheesecloth and discard the oats. Let the residue settle for about 15 minutes; strain again. Repeat 5 or 6 times, using fresh cheesecloth each time, until the vodka is milky but not chalky (whatever that means). Add the honey and mix well.

Smoother after 1 week in the refrigerator; best consumed within a month.

Shake well before using. Serve over ice, if desired, garnished with a cinnamon stick.

What do you think this will taste like? I am having a really hard time imagining........... :huh:

Don't know how soon your meal is, but I copied down a recipe out of the NYTimes for an oatmeal- infused vodka. Haven't started it yet, but the idea is a hoot. Here's the gist:

Oats and Honey Vodka

Adapted from Blue Hill at Stone Barns

1 liter premium vodka

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

1 cup mild honey

Combine the vodka and oats in a glass jar with a tight lid. Put in a cool, dark place for 3 days, shaking thoroughly once each day. After 3 days, strain the vodka through cheesecloth and discard the oats. Let the residue settle for about 15 minutes; strain again. Repeat 5 or 6 times, using fresh cheesecloth each time, until the vodka is milky but not chalky (whatever that means). Add the honey and mix well.

Smoother after 1 week in the refrigerator; best consumed within a month.

Shake well before using. Serve over ice, if desired, garnished with a cinnamon stick.

What do you think this will taste like? I am having a really hard time imagining........... :huh:

Imagine cold oatmeal with mead?

SB (I'll pass :sad: )

Just why anyone would want to make Atholl brose using vodka instead of whisky puzzles me a bit. :smile: The original version tastes pretty good to me, but is hardly 'savoury'

Skirlie purists notwithstanding, I'd recommend adding a bit of stock to the oats; it's possible to cook pinhead oats in fat for a long, long time without them taking up and softening at all, where the water in the stock seems to 'unlock' the softening process.

Just why anyone would want to make Atholl brose using vodka instead of whisky puzzles me a bit.  :smile: The original version tastes pretty good to me, but is hardly 'savoury'

Skirlie purists notwithstanding, I'd recommend adding a bit of stock to the oats; it's possible to cook pinhead oats in fat for a long, long time without them taking up and softening at all, where the water in the stock seems to 'unlock' the softening process.

I'm with Catherine. for some reason, I can envision this~with vodka, it escaped me !

Not very savory, however. Now, perhaps, we could throw in a bit of Rosemary? :huh:

(I guess I am thinking of the rosemary/maple/horseradish combo that I love so well. Dunno why.....except maybe 'cause I like my breakfast oats with maple or brown sugar ! :raz: )

• 2 weeks later...

I love oats, especially steel cut. However, I have a problem. My oat are too slimy and it has begun to bother me.

The method I use to cook is 1 part oats to 4 parts water and finished with a bit of milk. I use a slow cooker for about 3 hours.

Is there a cooking method that minimizes the slime that comes with cooking steel cut oatmeal?

Soup

Is there a cooking method that minimizes the slime that comes with cooking steel cut oatmeal?

Try not cooking for very long. I toast my steel cut oats in the dry pot first to bring out a nutty roasted flavor then add the water. I often cook oats for no more than 30 minutes. Water adjusted to 2:1 for the short cooking. Cook like rice, covered and simmer. They still have some chew but are not hard.