• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chips and Crisps

gfron1

I recently enjoyed a bag of BBQ Yucca Chips. They weren't too bad, but it made me start to wonder about all of the varieties of chips/crisps. My favorite is still plaintain (when done well), or homemade potato chips with sea salt. What other great ones are out there?

I recently enjoyed a bag of BBQ Yucca Chips.  They weren't too bad, but it made me start to wonder about all of the varieties of chips/crisps.  My favorite is still plaintain (when done well), or homemade potato chips with sea salt.  What other great ones are out there?

I like beets like c. bear, but also the garnet sweet potatoes. I quickly spray with Pam olive oil and sea salt, as you said. Never tried plantain, but I will now!

i have a serious addiction to the Bacon Flavor Crisps available in the UK.

I remember as a teen seeing a grocery store with a whole aisle of crisps aside from another for all other bagged snacks. Amazing.

I hear you can get them anywhere in the UK. I'm so jealous, I have spend so much on those little bags at Cheswicks. Well that's partially because I buy a dozen at a time, but...

I recently enjoyed a bag of BBQ Yucca Chips.  They weren't too bad, but it made me start to wonder about all of the varieties of chips/crisps.  My favorite is still plaintain (when done well), or homemade potato chips with sea salt.  What other great ones are out there?

As I recall, every type of meat was well represented, as well as seafoods.

I still have no idea what they meany by gammon flavour.

I don't eat too many chips these days, but the bacon I go out of my way for. I'm kinda glad they aren't widely available.

We have Fusion brand crisps from Tayto in Roast Beef Peppercorn and Roast Cheese Peppercorn...yum!  But a bit scary at how much they taste like the names.

Indonesian krupuk (shrimp toasts aka shrimp chips).

Michael aka "Pan"

Taro root chips that my dad used to make...also plantain and cassava chips (not the store bought ones) we got them from the street vendors.

There is another type if chips made out of cassava that is really paper thin ..when you buy it from the store you fry it yourself. Kind of like kroeproek. So good!!!!!

ETA more info.

Edited by kaneel (log)

• 2 weeks later...

how about home made potato chips? When I am going to watch a movie I always make either potato chips or popcorn depending on what I have on hand. I like to toss my chips with feta and parsley.

I cant seem to get my chips to be blonde and crispy at the same time, they always turn brown but are tasty anyway. I usually keep the oil at around 340°F.

Any tips on making chips at home?

• 1 month later...

I like Terra chips but find they have a weird oily after taste- are they made with some tropical oil or something? I have even thought of attemting to make them at home as I like the concept but not the actual product.

Kate

Terra Chips ...Olive Oil and Rosemary. OH My....

I like the Terras.

My favorite Terra, however, is not normally avaliable for retail sale, as far as I can tell. Its the Terra Blues, the official snack of Jetblue Airlines, made from purple potatoes. I've never seen it anywhere other than onboard a Jetblue flight. You can order them from the Terra website, though, and a few online gourmet sources have them.

http://www.terrachips.com/products/tc_blues.php

http://www.1800gourmet.com/product.aspx?pid=1845

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host