• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A little help here?

The Apostate

As everyone in the restaurant trade knows, this is the slowest time of year.

So, last night the owner and I go over some odd jobs to keep the staff busy, one of which is to clean up and organize the downstairs liquor room.

While down there, we find a bunch of old collapsed and dirt encrusted cartons, which obviously haven't been touched in decades.

The boss says to throw them out.

I checked them out and and they seem to be mostly german whites (Mosel) from the mid-sixties (the building was a german restaurant in a former incarnation) with a couple of sparkling burgundies (New York) and some splits of french champagne, all mid-60's vintages.

Does anyone have a guess as to wether any of it would be worth saving?

Most of the labels are dry rotted and nearly unreadable, so this is about all the information I have.

I'm so awesome I don't even need a sig...Oh wait...SON OF A...

I checked them out and and they seem to be mostly german whites (Mosel) from the mid-sixties (the building was a german restaurant in a former incarnation) with a couple of sparkling burgundies (New York) and some splits of french champagne, all mid-60's vintages.

Assuming any kind of quality to start with and that storage has been consistently cool, the German wines should be interesting and you may even get a dandy or two. The sparklers, both red and white, are properly passed their prime but, one never knows - I suggest popping a few corks rather than immediate discard.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I'm with Jim. There's nothing to lose by pulling the corks. I don't know my sixties vintages very well for those wines, except that 1964 was a good year in Champagne. I've had German wines from 1971 (a fantastic vintage by all accounts) and the wines have been stunning and nowhere close to dead on arrival.

Let us know so we can all learn.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero