• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for grillades

cheesecurdsinparadise

Ye Olde College Inn has them:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=933807

Note that they have since moved from their previous location (as part of a planned move) since Hurricane Katrina.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Funny you should mention Grillades, I have some braising right now, I will post the pics and recipe later. I'm serving them with Pan Fried Andouille Cheese Grit Cakes. Just messin' around. One of the things I love about Grillades & Grits, is how the grits totally take on the flavor of the sauce, which I may kinda lose in this preparation, but what the hell, it will be fun. Here is my straight up Grillades & Grits post from over the summer:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/09/17/gril...s-grits-recipe/

I will post the new one tonight.

I wish I was in N.O. this weekend, damn. I'm always depressed during Carnival when I'm not there. I've been glued to the cams today, just pouring salt on the wound I guess. Glad as hell to see so many people though!

I'm headed to New Orleans on Tuesday, and dying to try grillades for the first time.  Where are some of the best places for grillades?  Are they only a breakfast/brunch item, or can I find them in the afternoon/evening?

The Andouille Cheese Grit Cakes post:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/02/26/ando...t-cakes-recipe/

The Grillades & Andouille Cheese Grit Cakes pic is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nolacuisine/104992587/

Didn't get around to the post yet.

Funny you should mention Grillades, I have some braising right now, I will post the pics and recipe later. I'm serving them with Pan Fried Andouille Cheese Grit Cakes. Just messin' around. One of the things I love about Grillades & Grits, is how the grits totally take on the flavor of the sauce, which I may kinda lose in this preparation, but what the hell, it will be fun. Here is my straight up Grillades & Grits post from over the summer:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/09/17/gril...s-grits-recipe/

I will post the new one tonight.

I wish I was in N.O. this weekend, damn. I'm always depressed during Carnival when I'm not there. I've been glued to the cams today, just pouring salt on the wound I guess. Glad as hell to see so many people though!

I'm headed to New Orleans on Tuesday, and dying to try grillades for the first time.  Where are some of the best places for grillades?  Are they only a breakfast/brunch item, or can I find them in the afternoon/evening?

Edited by Danno (log)

Upperline has an amazing version, available for dinner, which blew away the one I had at Ye Olde College Inn. YOCI's version was small pieces of meat swimming in a thick, rather salty gravy, with a bland version of grits. Upperline's was much higher quality veal, napped with a much less starchy gravy. I'm checking for pictures...

... con't:

Ye Olde College Inn

gallery_2_0_89833.jpg

Grillades and Grits are a traditional New Orleans breakfast item.

The Upperline

gallery_2_0_118996.jpg

Veal Grillades with Cheddar Cheese Grits

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

I beg to differ: my homemade grillades (yesterday's brunch) looked almost exactly like the Upperline version. If anyone is seeking a recipe, try the grits & grillades from Leon Soniat's La Bouche Creole cookbook (also has lots of other good, traditional NOLA recipes like redfish courtbouillion, calas, etc). Incidentally, the grillades you'll find in much of Acadiana are very different: thinly sliced, highly spiced tender pork, quickly grilled over either coals or an open flame. You'll find them at a boucherie (hog-killing & cooking), at festivals, or on backyard BBQ grills. I can't think of a single restaurant serving this kind of grillades...

In an up and doing party setting (think big deal wedding brunch, where you often see this dish) you will (or I do) mostly see the grillades made from veal-but I do them with round steak, sometimes pork, whatever I have around (which is rarely a ready supply of veal).

Either way they are good. The Upperline version is usually what I am used to seeing and I've had Chef Ken's version of this dish, several times, and they are pretty danged skippy.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...