• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wasabi cashews

The original NY thread said TJ's had them, then stopped carrying them.

Greg, how recent have you spotted them there?

I suppose that will give me another reason to stop by when I can.

Hot chocolate and wasabi cashews.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The original NY thread said TJ's had them, then stopped carrying them.

Greg, how recent have you spotted them there?

I suppose that will give me another reason to stop by when I can.

Hot chocolate and wasabi cashews.

I've seen black pepper cashews, but not wasabi. Also a chile-lime version.

Hmmm... I need to see if they're still carrying the out there.

I wonder if these could be replicated at home though using Trader Joe's raw cashews, wasabi powder, salt and pepper. I would probably try pan roasting the nuts with butter and then toss them with the spice mix.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

:: Raising hand:: We have wasabi peanut poppers, wasabi soynuts, and of course, wasabi peas. The brand is Society Hill, local and in our snack section. The peanut poppers are odd - some are really hot and some are mild. I've noticed that with many brands. The peas and soynuts are more uniform.

As for cashews, we have toffee cashews and jumbos in a tall canister. Also have toffee and chocolate pecans.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Yea, I should've thought about Nuts to You.  I have to remember to pop in their Walnut St. location next time.

Herbacidal maybe its a goose egg but have you checked the new asian supermarket near your office? They have lots of stuff, including a great bakery section (although its too much MSG for my brain).

I can also check TJ here in the burbs - my wife is there at least once a week and I can have her look for you.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Yea, I should've thought about Nuts to You.  I have to remember to pop in their Walnut St. location next time.

Herbacidal maybe its a goose egg but have you checked the new asian supermarket near your office? They have lots of stuff, including a great bakery section (although its too much MSG for my brain).

I can also check TJ here in the burbs - my wife is there at least once a week and I can have her look for you.

Evan

Yea, been there. Bakery is solid. I like the lunch counter thing too.

Offers a nice contrast to Han Ah Reum.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 7 months later...

Herb, are you still craving wasabi cashews? I saw some at Suzie Hot Sauce in New Hope. I didn't see them on the website, but they're in the store. They had almonds and peanuts too.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

• 5 months later...

i just found some odd but amazing cashews at two stores on 21st st. there's Morning Calm deli (between chestnut and sansom) and another right by Locust st. there's a little clear plastic bag that sells for one dollar. inside it are about 15 cashews coated in what seems to be a powdered form a new compound i call ECM (Entire Chinese Meal). the ECM is a magical compound that is most likely comprised entirely of MSG. you eat one cashew and feel as though you've had a whole sit-down dinner! they're tasty and delicious!

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

coated in what seems to be a powdered form a new compound i call ECM (Entire Chinese Meal). the ECM is a magical compound that is most likely comprised entirely of MSG. you eat one cashew and feel as though you've had a whole sit-down dinner!

Isn't this precisely what caused Violet Beauregard's near demise in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Wasn't it the "Blueberry Pie" flavor that caused her to blow up and turn blue??? Anyone?

Sorry. The ECM is waaaayyy too scary for me. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol