• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Napa Valley Grille (Yountville)

snekse

Since I think every restaurant should get it's own thread, I'm starting one up for the Napa Valley Grille.

We stopped at the Napa Valley Grille the last time we were in Napa. It was our first time there and I'm happy to report that it didn't suck. It didn't blow us away, but we didn't really expect it to.

I'm interested to know what others thought of the place. I can't say I'd recommend any of their brunch items, but most of their lunch items were pretty good. The Harvest Platter and the fries stole the show for me. The focaccia was pretty tasty too. The only real let down was the Eggs Monterey.

RESTAURANT REVIEW: The Napa Valley Grille (Yountville)

PHOTO DIARY: The Napa Valley Grille (Yountville)

Gastronomic Fight Club - Mischief. Mayhem. Soup.

Foodies of Omaha - Discover the Best of Omaha

I've never been that impressed but probably because I know it is part of a larger chain-based corporation and the food seems so much like other large-city restaurants I've been to. It has always been a good stand-by when Bouchon or Pere Jeanty was full up and tourists needed a place to dine quickly. Napa Valley Grille seems to always have space (which, I think, tells you something).

I don't know if they're part of the chain anymore or not. Thad Lyman and his wife, Katie Doherty are listed as Co-Proprietors. I know the food is defineitly better than when it was part of the California Cafe group. Thad & Katie are Napa locals, and always participate in Yountville town happenings. We ate there last Tuesday night, and thought it was quite good...not a destination restaurant, but nice ambience and decent food.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I'm not sure what being part of a chain has to do with a restaurant being able to produce good food. Isn't Bouchon now a chain? I've seen several threads that shun and berate chains, and while I understand where they are coming from, I think the wholesale discounting of any restaurant that is part of a chain is unfair.

As for this particular restaurant, I'm not sure if they are still part of the CA Cafe/Napa Valley Grille chain, but I would have to expect that they are since their website is still listed with the other locations. Although this is my firs time to this particular restaurant, it's not my first time dinning within the chain. I had lunch at the California Cafe in the Mall of America about 5 or 6 years again. I remember liking the food and loving the duck pot-stickers that I had. That's the beauty of a chain. I can draw on that previous experience and expect something at least comparable to what I've had before half way across the country. That was actually a small part of the reason we decided to have lunch there.

I think to compare the Napa Valley Grille to Bouchon or [fill in the blank] Jeanty is a bit unfair. The NVG has hardly a single entree over $15, while the other places mentioned have hardly an entree under that amount. I think Sam put it the best - "not a destination restaurant, but nice ambiance and decent food"

Sam, can you share with us what you had that evening? Do you have any favorite dishes that you'd recommend to others? How's the "kobe" burger?

Thanks!

Gastronomic Fight Club - Mischief. Mayhem. Soup.

Foodies of Omaha - Discover the Best of Omaha

We had a salmon dish that was quite good. No starters or dessert, as we had had a fairly large lunch at Auberge du Soleil. I've had their kobe burger during the street festival (Taste of Yountville, coming up March 25 this year) and it's quite excellent. We also like their lunches...be it a meat & cheese platter, salad with grilled chicken, grilled chicken sandwich, or the kobe burger.

They also feature flights of wines (3 small pours of the same varietal) for a reasonable price. You can then pick your favorite and order a full glass if you want.

All in all, it's our "go to" place when everything else is crowded, or we don't feel like driving up to St. Helena or down to Napa.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I'm not sure what being part of a chain has to do with a restaurant being able to produce good food.  Isn't Bouchon now a chain?  I've seen several threads that shun and berate chains, and while I understand where they are coming from, I think the wholesale discounting of any restaurant that is part of a chain is unfair.

You are correct -- I do have that tendancy and most of my angst comes from places like Rutherford Grill which, as part of the Houstons chain, had to change its name because of an ordinance that keeps large restaurant chains from descending into the Napa valley (Houstons got around it by naming the restaurant differently and tweaking their menu).

I will readily admit to prejudice against chain restaurants but I believe their is a distinction between chef-driven chains (like Bouchon or Patina) and large corporate chains like Houstons or P.F Changs. Most of the difference lies in the individual chef's ability to mold their menu to their clientele. That is what I believe makes Bouchon and the Pinot restaurants stand apart; different chefs with vision. When Napa Valley Grille opened, their menu in Yountville was exactly the same as their menu in Los Angeles. I do not honestly know now if it has changed, but the prejudice is hard to get away from when visitors and diners in the Napa valley expect a 'cut above' in their dining experience.

Perhaps it is time for me to visit again and see, but I will maintain my general thoughts on chain restaurants; while the food might be acceptable, it is usually not extraordinary.

I've never eaten there but you do see the chef and staff at both the SF and Napa farmers markets.

I used to sell to Rutherford Grill (and may again one day) and many of the Houston's. Rutherford Grill seemed to have a lot of autonomy and choice with their menu compared to the other restaurants in the chain, from what I could see. And you used to see them at the St Helena farmers market all the time.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray