• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fire at Amazing Hot Dog

rhubarbd

Eric,

I wanted to express my well wishes to you.. What a horrible thing to have happen.. It might be actually a blessing in disguise.. Perhaps to give you a moment to step back and use the wisdom you have collected during the brief time you had.. Thats great you guys are scouting a second location.. If anything, you have a lot of practice by now.. Your determination and great spirit is truly a life lesson that we should all learn from.. I marvel at your strength..

Thank you for sharing this all with us...

Daniel

Edited by Daniel (log)

Montvale NJ - Heavily traffic'd Kinderkamack Road could use you and we'd welcome a good dog place there is Taco bell, KFC, BK, B.M. (evil grin/bos.mkt that is) and more on that street and they are always crowded out the doors and drive thrus during lunch time so another BETTER place would be always welcome. I'd even give you a tour of the area if you wish! There are 3 major corporate parks with their corporate headquarters or major offices within 5 miles and they include BMW, KPMG, Merck Medco, Ingersoll Rand, Verizon, A&P Corporate, Renkitt B' (aka lysol maker folks) and many other large companies!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Matt and I have begun scoping out possible second locations in our free time(of which we have alot of)  If there is a spot in your area that is available and you drive by and say "THAT would make a great spot for an AMAZING HOT DOG", please let me know.

Any chance you would consider coming down to central/southern New Jersey? :smile: I could think of a number of spots in Monmouth and Ocean counties.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

There are a couple of empty storefronts on Nassau Street in Princeton (the main drag) right across the street from the University. There is always a lot of street traffic especially in the Palmer Square area. I think the college population would be a natural for your fare.

Here I was, with time to kill around lunch time (the house is on the market and I needed to be out for a couple of showings) and I thought "this is a perfect time to head over to AHD . . . oh right, I can't head over they're not open :sad::sad: "

Any word yet on a reopening date?

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Here I was, with time to kill around lunch time (the house is on the market and I needed to be out for a couple of showings) and I thought "this is a perfect time to head over to AHD .  .  . oh right, I can't head over they're not open  :sad:  :sad: "

Allison and all,

They broke the mold after this contractor signed up; He is really GREAT!! He has only been on the job for a week and I am amazed at how much work is done. The new drop cieling is in, the electrical work is complete, the walls are well on their way to completion (looks like by the end of next week for sure) and he is going to begin the floor next week as well. I'm going to say about a month till we open. Matt and I are pretty much at AHD everyday, so please feel free to stop by for the "grand tour"

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Here I was, with time to kill around lunch time (the house is on the market and I needed to be out for a couple of showings) and I thought "this is a perfect time to head over to AHD .  .  . oh right, I can't head over they're not open  :sad:  :sad: "

Allison and all,

They broke the mold after this contractor signed up; He is really GREAT!! He has only been on the job for a week and I am amazed at how much work is done. The new drop cieling is in, the electrical work is complete, the walls are well on their way to completion (looks like by the end of next week for sure) and he is going to begin the floor next week as well. I'm going to say about a month till we open. Matt and I are pretty much at AHD everyday, so please feel free to stop by for the "grand tour"

Eric

YEAH!!!!!!

Sounds like a Memorial Day event to me :raz: Hope everything continues to go smoothly!!

There are a couple of empty storefronts on Nassau Street in Princeton (the main drag) right across the street from the University.  There is always a lot of street traffic especially in the Palmer Square area.  I think the college population would be a natural for your fare.

Boy I sure second Princeton's Nassau Street. It seems all the really good hot dog places are located up in North Jersey. If you can get past the probably high rents, I am sure this would be a tremendous location for a store. Not only Princeton University students, but the town of Princeton and environs have all sorts of businesses nearby with lots of hungry employees. I suspect you would do better on lunches than dinner but that's just a supposition.

Do any of you have any thoughts on Morris Plains/Parsippany/Denville on Rt 53? Seems to be a well traveled road and has easy access from Rt 10, Rt 46, and Rt 80. There is a Subway and a Dunkin Donuts in the area. These guys usually strategically place themselves. If they think its a good area, then maybe it is a good area for an AHD. What do you think?

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Do any of you have any thoughts on Morris Plains/Parsippany/Denville on Rt 53?  Seems to be a well traveled road and has easy access from Rt 10, Rt 46, and Rt 80.  There is a Subway and a Dunkin Donuts in the area. These guys usually strategically place themselves.  If they think its a good area, then maybe it is a good area for an AHD. What do you think?

NO! NO! NO!

STAY ON TARGET!!!!!!!

We want the original AHD :wub: back first, THEN you can look to expand. :raz:

Well, okay, it can't hurt to look. After all you are going to be too busy once you re-open to spend time doing it then. :biggrin:

Do any of you have any thoughts on Morris Plains/Parsippany/Denville on Rt 53?  Seems to be a well traveled road and has easy access from Rt 10, Rt 46, and Rt 80.  There is a Subway and a Dunkin Donuts in the area. These guys usually strategically place themselves.  If they think its a good area, then maybe it is a good area for an AHD. What do you think?

I would consider Bloomfield Ave in that area--or Broadway. Whichever street is right down the road from Hunan Taste.

There is ample parking, and there is usually alot of foot traffic, especially in the warmer months.

I used to work right down the street from there. There is a Stewart's Root Beer place there, which my provide a bit of competition, but I'm sure there is room for an exceptional hot dog joint such as yours.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

good call. I'm bias since i live in Denville. The area defintely needs a place with good dogs. 53 gets real backed up during rush hour, usually in the afternoon with ppl cutting over from 10 to 80. I guess that would be good for business as people drive slowly by. rattle snake ranch is always packed. second half is usually packed. Tokyo delight has great sushi but seems to evade getting packed. That subway and DD has been there since i can remember.

One thing to think about is your not going to get the foot trafiic that you would get being in Denville itself. Especially if you could get a store near denville dairy. you would still be a quick drive from 10, 80, 287 and 46 in the center of morris county.

Anyways, I know quite a few ppl that would be stoke to have a local AHD.

Well, by that line of thinking, how about Hoboken? We've got FOUR Dunkin Donuts in our little square mile and a Subway (not to mention Blimpie Base #1). Sure, rents will be astronomical, but you'll be spitting distance from Manhattan. Think of all the NYC eGulleteers you'll serve!

More to the point, there's more and more office space going up on the waterfront with some pretty big tenants (publishing house Wylie most notably), a built-in college crowd, a burgeoning young family scene -- all ripe for the ultimate hot dog experience.

Christopher

I would love one here in Pequannock, but there is a Falls View Grill right down the road. These are springing up all over the place if you haven't noticed. How about Rt. 23 in Wayne? I guess I should be thankful you have a location by work :wink:

Anonymouze turned me on to AHD because she knows I work right up the street (across from Pal's) and my friends and I have been there a few times - great stuff!! I hope the fire recovery is going well and I can not wait for you to reopen. Please keep us updated on your website! I come down Prospect and cross over Bloomfield onto Rt. 23/Pompton Ave. to get home so AHD is *just* out of eyeshot for me!!

I think I found a discussion on the new "Whole Foods" too, so I'm going to find that :-)

Happy Passover & Easter to all.

Chris

I hope you guys don't move from Verona! I promise to continue bringing a steady stream of customers in from Montclair if you stay near Chris & I  :biggrin:

No worries Allie, We are staying in Verona. We are looking at other areas for store #2.

We are now saying 2 1/2 to 3 weeks till we re open. I'll post an actual date when we know for sure.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Yippee!!!

Dana

My thoughts exactly! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

No worries Allie, We are staying in Verona. We are looking at other areas for store #2. 

We are now saying 2 1/2 to 3 weeks till we re open.  I'll post an actual date when we know for sure.

Eric

REALLY GOOD NEWS!!!!

Hmm, early to mid May. I'll have to see if my nephew can stop by on his way home from college.